Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Question for you Laos people in Laos part 2 (Read 7127 times)

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Question for you Laos people in Laos part 2
29th Jul, 2009 at 2:45am

Here's the scenario:

You just arrived at the Wattay International Airport and you notice that you are running late and might miss your flight to Bangkok. You notice there is a line up of about 10 people ahead of you to check in your bags.

Do you:

A) Go right to the front to the desk clerk and demand to be checked in right away or you'll miss your flight.

B) Go to the front and pay the desk clerk some money so that you can be checked in right away.

C) Stand and wait in line.

D) Insert your own answer here _________ .

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Question for you Laos people in Laos part 2
Reply #1 - 29th Jul, 2009 at 3:07am

I haven't taken a flight to Bangkok, I'm too poor for that.  

The check-in desk will be closed if your plane is about to depart.

At the end of the day, you only have yourself to blame for running late. Most international flights require you to be at the airport a couple of hours before departure.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

matt
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Anywhere but here

Reply #2 - 29th Jul, 2009 at 11:34pm

I agree with admin on this one. International travel can be unpredictable.  It is best to be early. Very early. I've spent many hours waiting in airports, but I've never missed a flight.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #3 - 30th Jul, 2009 at 10:35pm

OKay I guess you guys are focusing on something other than the real point I was trying to get at. I notice in asian countries, there is no coherence of cutting in line and making other people mad. I also notice that you can pay your way through just about any situation, and I also know that there is no such thing as being on time in Laos. When you make an appointment with someone, expect them to be 2hrs late, this is called Laos time, this is also true for Laos people in the US/Canada.
I can tell you this cause all of these things have happend to me before. When we got to Laos, we paid off the immigration people at the airport so they didn't check our bags, $20 US. Try doing this with Canada Immigration or Home Land Security in the US and you will find yourself in jail very quick.
I got used to people cutting in line before me, I guess they thought I was being kind by standing patiently and waiting. When you snooze, you snooze. I guess the idea of forming a line doesn't mean anything when you look at how traffic is there.
I tried to explain to them in Laos about how if you make an appointment at certain places and you are late, they won't accept you and you will have to reschedule. If you don't show or even call, then there may be penalties that you would have to pay money. I don't think they understand what the phrase "time is money" means to us foreigners.
I guess the mentality is very different from what we are used to in North America with all these laws and regulations that structure our society. This structure is non existent in Laos and to some extent I like it for the freedom but there are apparent downfalls to it. Maybe I was just experiencing some culture shock  Shocked.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

matt
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Anywhere but here

Reply #4 - 31st Jul, 2009 at 1:55am

Buk Hoo Kee,

A few words of advice. I am trying to be helpful and not hurtful in any way.  The first thing you must do when visiting any other country is take your own beliefs and culture and throw them out the window. You are now a guest in a foreign place, and the local rules apply whether you agree with them or not. The old saying of "When in France" applies to any country in the world. Having said that, upon arrival you must abide by the local customs and refrain from being an annoying westerner. Don't be "that guy" who makes the rest of us look bad.

best of luck.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #5 - 31st Jul, 2009 at 4:33am

People cutting in line before you is normal in Laos. Sometimes it happens to me and I get very annoyed.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78569 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248783 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133103 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69808 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47440 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73917 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57544 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45376 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40976 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33952 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum