Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
who are the wealthy in Laos right now! (Read 24283 times)

Tee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
who are the wealthy in Laos right now!
6th Jan, 2010 at 4:34am

The business and the people in the high rank office!

Who would be the wealthiest! or maybe the Landlord!  Since the land is getting more expensive every day!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re:  who are the wealthy in Laos right now!
Reply #1 - 6th Jan, 2010 at 7:15am

There are many rich people in Laos who keep low key and never show off their wealth.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

BorLeumBanGerd
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #2 - 7th Jan, 2010 at 9:45pm

Besides corrupt officials?....j/k.

Define wealth? From what level to what level? Are you talking about the TOP wealthiest in Laos?

My cousin in Pon Hong...they own some lumber mills...they're RICH! 

I think those people who own commercial construction companies!  There has been a lot of development AND more to come!!

Fyi, I can't deny it...many of those development projects are either Chinese, Thai or Vietnamese managed.  So guess who gets majority of the contracts??? hmmm.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Tee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #3 - 7th Jan, 2010 at 10:32pm

It is truth that the Chinese,Thai and Vietnam got this contract! but no Laotian in the country have knowledge, money and experience to do the job. It's a shame that we can't do our self.

View Profile  
IP Logged

BorLeumBanGerd
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #4 - 7th Jan, 2010 at 11:33pm

Tee,

You are right about Laotians NOT having enough experience in commercial building and MAJOR construction and development. I AGREE! Every country, Thai, Viet, Chinese wants to bring in their own workers. That sucks for Laotians!

The Lao government's job is to NEGOTIATE the deal where it will benefit Lao and the Lao's people. The Laos government should request in the contract that certain parts of the project be completed by Laotian workers, so Laotians can gain valuable experience while also earn some $.

I don't know how they negotiate currently...but this is just a small example.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Tee

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #5 - 8th Jan, 2010 at 12:22am

Yes! Every project have time frame to complete!!! Most Laos have no knowledge or experience and skill to do the job. Training some on the job take time that will also slow down the project. I do agree negotiate the deal should include training of the local skill and give some of the of job to local people. Perhaps the negotiator lack of thought and thinking Local can't do the job! which lack of thought!!!!!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #6 - 8th Jan, 2010 at 1:46am

Mirror mirror on the wall, who is the wealthiest of them all?

I think the real question is, what are they doing with their money.
I know there are rich people in Laos. I see the mansions and hotels and mercedes benz that only get polished more than driven.
My question is why don't these rich Laos people help the rest who have almost nothing. If I was that rich, I would at least donate something or build a school, perhaps even a hospital and name it after myself. Yet, all I see is the chinese building this in donation, the thai's built the train, the viets and japanese build roads and stuff, I read it on the news all the time. Doesn't this make you think to yourself, why don't the rich Lao people do anything for their own kind? It's like Lao doesn't help fellow Lao. We only want to be better than others, even in the west, this ideology prevails in many Lao communities that I see. They envy each other or look down on one another.

I think I read somewhere on maybe another board about a Lao guy who went to Laos and married a native Lao girl there. He was raised in the US and when a fellow Lao person asked him to do something to help them out, his wife said, "why are you doing that for them, what are you gaining?". We in the west have the mentality that if we help each other, it is for the benefit of improving society and that if we work together, dreams can be realized as a whole. My thought on this is that most of the people in Laos live in poverty and it's still survival of the fittest mode for them and the rich are afraid to lend a helping hand so they cling to what they got cause it's better you than me right?
I sometimes wonder if these rich people are just not smart enough to use their money so they don't do anything productive for the sake of society. The other thought is that they obtained wealth in such a way that they need to hide it. Lastly, the wealthy are not Laotian and they'd like to keep it that way, we are merely cattle and the farmer is rich.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Tee

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #7 - 8th Jan, 2010 at 2:29am

You absolutely right!!!!

Why don't we start up a Laos helping Laos association. set up an trust account to build school and maintenance the school already have. and fly is when we can to help out teaching the skill that you and I have learn from the West! Talking about it just no help here we have to start the action. The account would be manage independently by an accountant and edited each year. We can erect each member of the board for each country that we were live in. each board member can have a say on what to do with the money!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #8 - 8th Jan, 2010 at 3:28am

Buk Hoo Kee, some rich people in Laos donate money to build temples. The Chinese, Japanese, Thais and Vietnamese help Laos but they are not individuals, they are big companies with money. Beerlao is an example of a Lao company that donates alot of their money towards this and that all the time, but you just don't hear about it since you're in another country.

Tee, I heard that the Lao community overseas use donated money to renovate temples in their town or city and the community benefits from it. They probably prefer to look after their own backyard first before worrying about Laos.

BorLeumBanGerd, if you have a nice house, car, maid and security to protect your property then you're rich.  

IP Logged

Tee

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #9 - 8th Jan, 2010 at 4:06am

Let's start an association call"Laos help Laos"
let's put the money where the month is.
I propose and willing to put $1000 to start this associate. Every one want to ship in?

The rule of the associate is to use this
* money for Education purpose and community project only.
* We will donate our free time and our money to fly to Laos and teach the kind about what we have learn from the West so they can equip with the skill that we learn and will not be take advantage by the foreign.
* All donated Money will be deposit in a trust account (Like Lawyer Trust account in the USA) Would Edit by a independent accountant.
Each country member can erected a Board member to seat on the board.(let say. every 250 members can erect a  board member)
and so on........if you can think of something to add please feel free to add here!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #10 - 8th Jan, 2010 at 4:17am

I am too scared to go teach in Laos, the commies might try to kill me cause I'm educating their sheep.

By the way there is already a foundation that helps Lao people.
Check it outs. They are based in California.

www.jailao.org

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Tee

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #11 - 8th Jan, 2010 at 4:38am

Hi Buk Hoo Kee

You can donate money mate.
I have seen the the website you mention. They didn't not tell me about where the money have spend no amount of how much have been donated. it's something I won't ever, want to associate with. I do not mean they have use the money in the wrong way. I just need to know how the money corrected and spend it.

One thing I dislike, that is use the donation to make money for their own pocket! I have seen the Laos Association that base in different part of Australia. I was the member and see how the account bag with so many holes in them. What I propose is different! will be clean and every cent will be accounting for!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #12 - 8th Jan, 2010 at 4:42am

It's better to help Laos by donating your money directly when you next visit Laos rather than through a third party.

By handing your money to the poor children directly, not only will you know exactly where your money is going but the children and their parents will see you physically and they appreciate and remember you as a caring person.

Once you give your money to an organisation or group they will definately keep a percentage of it, if not all of it. So give your money directly in Laos is the way to go.

IP Logged

Tee

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #13 - 8th Jan, 2010 at 5:20am

The old say" better to teach a person how to fish than give that person the fish"

Teach a kind the skill will last for ever , give that kind money will only help temperately. One thing that good about Western education that teach me how to help my self and also thinking for a long term. Plan ahead and put in writing and go back to to read about it every six month.

*Building a house have to have a good foundation,for a country that Law and order
*Roof is like a good political System.
* Door and window is for looking out for  you to see how other do out side and compare how you doing with other and learning other mistake.
*Fencing and is like Army to project you.
*Wall is Police for you security.
Children of the country is like a a maintenance. you have to educate them and in order to keep your country continue !      

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #14 - 8th Jan, 2010 at 5:42am

You could give the money directly to a school in any village so they can provide better tables, chairs and study materials for their students.

All donations should be made directly by yourself, or through a trustworthy friend/relative who visits Laos.

Whatever you like to do has to be done directly. I don't trust any third party organisation, who knows where your money is going.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78210 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248680 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133020 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69734 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47373 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73858 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57490 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45337 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40925 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33922 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum