Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Riding on footpaths is legal in Laos (Read 14597 times)

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Riding on footpaths is legal in Laos
4th Feb, 2010 at 1:22am

Riding and driving on footpaths is allowed in Laos, as our pictures clearly show. Helmets are meant to be compulsory while on a motorbike but many people don't care anyway.

laopride562.jpg

laopride563.jpg

laopride564.jpg

laopride565.jpg

laopride566.jpg

laopride567.jpg

laopride568.jpg

laopride569.jpg

laopride570.jpg

laopride571.jpg

laopride572.jpg

laopride573.jpg

laopride574.jpg

laopride575.jpg

laopride576.jpg

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Buk IIWJ
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

ThatLuang, Laos P.D.R.
Re: Riding on footpaths is legal in Laos
Reply #1 - 4th Feb, 2010 at 4:51pm

I think you meant to say "Sidewalk" not footpaths.  As you know, the traffic laws are pretty loose in Laos and if you get pull over by the cops then just give him $$.  Sidewalk designed for people to walk on not the motorcycles.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #2 - 5th Feb, 2010 at 1:23am

Buk IIWJ, Footpath and sidewalk is the same thing.

IP Logged

Worthless Laotian Refugee
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #3 - 5th Feb, 2010 at 8:02am

Technically, they are not the same, but can be use as you were prefered.

Footpath- its  in the rice fields paddy so you can walk on it ( Kun Naa)
           - its not the side of the roads or streets
           - the one around your houses

Sidewalk- its roadsides near the roads or streets ( Not Kun Naa)

View Profile  
IP Logged

Tee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #4 - 5th Feb, 2010 at 1:37pm

Buk IIWJ wrote on 4th Feb, 2010 at 4:51pm:
I think you meant to say "Sidewalk" not footpaths.  As you know, the traffic laws are pretty loose in Laos and if you get pull over by the cops then just give him $$.  Sidewalk designed for people to walk on not the motorcycles.

It's depend on where you from! but both is same meaning !

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #5 - 5th Feb, 2010 at 11:11pm

Depends on if you from "barn nok" or "nai meung".

If you barn nok, you say "foot path" like you hiking through the hill side backpacking on a dirt path watching out for animals that jump out from the bush.

If you from nai meung, then you say sidewalk, like a paved walk way on the side of the road that has a curb so cars don't come on it. The only thing you got to watch for is if people ride their bicycles sometimes on the sidewalk which they shouldn't.

I personally call it a sidewalk. If I said foot path here in the west, they would think I'm from the jungle.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #6 - 6th Feb, 2010 at 2:20am

Tee,  I guess these Laotians from the USA/Canada were educated differently. They make a big deal out of something that's not important. In Laos, we call any place where people walk a "footpath". Call us what you will, but if people understand us then it's all good.

IP Logged

Tee

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #7 - 6th Feb, 2010 at 3:29am

Hi Admin

If you are wanting to find fault on someone...You can always found it! These people are dong just that about Laos and your commons. What ever, you write...they will always finding you are wrong. You should know by now!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk IIWJ

I Love Laos!

ThatLuang, Laos P.D.R.
Reply #8 - 11th Feb, 2010 at 8:19pm

Buk Hoo Kee wrote on 5th Feb, 2010 at 11:11pm:
Depends on if you from "barn nok" or "nai meung".

If you barn nok, you say "foot path" like you hiking through the hill side backpacking on a dirt path watching out for animals that jump out from the bush.

If you from nai meung, then you say sidewalk, like a paved walk way on the side of the road that has a curb so cars don't come on it. The only thing you got to watch for is if people ride their bicycles sometimes on the sidewalk which they shouldn't.

I personally call it a sidewalk. If I said foot path here in the west, they would think I'm from the jungle.

Well said....  you nailed it on the head!!! hahhahaha in this case, maybe nailed it on the foot. Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

macro

I Love Laos!

Reply #9 - 24th Feb, 2010 at 1:44pm

Me in Australia and we always call it FOOT PATH, you must be in Yankieland to call sidewalk, typical, they think that they're always right and the rest of the world is wrong and try to dictate everything...not for long boy...Bloody Chinese will fix you guys.

View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #10 - 24th Feb, 2010 at 10:47pm

Here's a good one for you Aussies.  In America we say "bathroom/restroom", you guys say "toilet".  Which sounds more appropriate?  I mean if I was eating a meal and someone says I gotta use the toilet...that would make me lose my appetite because of the image.  If you were to say "restroom/bathroom" then I have many images such as sink, mirror, bathtub,etc.  Basically it doesn't sound as disgusting. Smiley  It's kind of funny I have cousins with a strong southern Aussie accent I can barely understand them, I literally had to ask them to speak Lao instead. lol

America is different I agree, but, you gotta realize regardless how bad our government is people around the world accept America as world leader, and I want to know why?  Many countries import American Movies (entertainment), literature, culture,etc..It makes no sense.  I'm sure US is in debt, what happens when they can't pay China back?  Guess what would happen if it's the last resort? America has been trying to start problems with IRAN in previous years, North Korea, even Russia.  I don't think American government really cares about other countries or even their own citizens. We're nothing but sheep to them.  They want WW3 to happen.  That is the only way to erase their debt, an excuse for war.

View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #11 - 24th Feb, 2010 at 11:19pm

Also, think of the economy.  When the United States failed other nations were effected by it too and do you know why?  Most of foreign money was invested here. Smiley  Basically China screwed themselves over.  They have control of the market, but, not the Military.  When other countries accuse the US of doing something notice they always deny it?  It is like the US has the final say.  We live in a pretty scary world I tell you.  Let's hope peace will occur on this planet and not war in the future.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #12 - 24th Feb, 2010 at 11:20pm

" typical, they think that they're always right and the rest of the world is wrong and try to dictate everything..."

My bad, forgot this was an Aussie website, typical, they think that they're always right and the rest of the world is wrong and try to dictate everything...

If you guys call a sidewalk that is made out of concrete a "foot path" then what do you call them dirt trails that you hike around in the mountains?

The europeans call it "football" and the west calls it soccer. Why can't we just call it "deah bahn" and call it a day.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 79422 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 249104 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133289 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 70004 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47588 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 74062 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57677 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45495 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 41080 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 34025 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum