Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Lao girls in shopping mall (Read 75252 times)

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Re: Lao girls in shopping mall
Reply #30 - 19th Apr, 2011 at 10:41am

OMD wrote on 2nd Mar, 2010 at 8:28pm:
I remember a while back, i had few instances, where our own people started speaking Thai to me instead our native language. This one lady kept rambling on in Thai, I had to politely ask her to stop and speak our native language. I guess I was irritated and annoyed by it.

That is fukd up, man! Why do Lao always try to impress Thai? Thai couldn't care less about Lao! Ever hear a conversation between Lao and Thai strangers? 99% of the time, The Lao will bow down to the Thai and use speak theirs to convey their thoughts. Why? There are enough cognates for both to get a notion of how a conversaition is progressing, right? It always pisses me off when that happens. It's like those Lao have no pride! SPEAK AND BE PROUD OF YOUR OWN LANGUAGE PEOPLE. Smiley

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #31 - 19th Apr, 2011 at 3:07pm

I'm with you on this one. Larb Dip is a guy after all. Who doesn't like sexy picture?
Cheesy Grin

Quote:
Admin Saovaluck wrote on 18th Aug, 2010 at 1:16am:
Probably, but I've got many things on my plate at the moment.

Admin, I think that encourage Larb by posting those pictures, then get upset when he lets his over-reactive sex drive take over his common sense.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #32 - 19th Apr, 2011 at 3:13pm

Lao speak Thai to Thai because most or all Lao can speak an understand Thai. Our language and culture are very similar. When I went to Thai airport as a kids. The staff try to speak Lao to me. I was thinking to myself I can understand you when you speak Thai. " Lao/Thai is ban ai moung nong."
Smiley

Larb Dip wrote on 19th Apr, 2011 at 10:41am:
OMD wrote on 2nd Mar, 2010 at 8:28pm:
I remember a while back, i had few instances, where our own people started speaking Thai to me instead our native language. This one lady kept rambling on in Thai, I had to politely ask her to stop and speak our native language. I guess I was irritated and annoyed by it.

That is fukd up, man! Why do Lao always try to impress Thai? Thai couldn't care less about Lao! Ever hear a conversation between Lao and Thai strangers? 99% of the time, The Lao will bow down to the Thai and use speak theirs to convey their thoughts. Why? There are enough cognates for both to get a notion of how a conversaition is progressing, right? It always pisses me off when that happens. It's like those Lao have no pride! SPEAK AND BE PROUD OF YOUR OWN LANGUAGE PEOPLE. Smiley

« Last Edit: 19th Apr, 2011 at 9:59pm by llX »  
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #33 - 19th Apr, 2011 at 9:39pm

I know Thais who have lived in Vientiane for many years. I speak Lao to them and they speak Thai back to me, we obviously understand each other but we prefer to speak in our native language.

You just have to accept who they are, and there's no harm done.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #34 - 20th Apr, 2011 at 12:37am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 19th Apr, 2011 at 9:39pm:
I know Thais who have lived in Vientiane for many years. I speak Lao to them and they speak Thai back to me, we obviously understand each other but we prefer to speak in our native language.

I'm glad YOU have pride in your culture and are not taking a knee for them. Wink You did say that when Thai tourists cross the river for a visit, that the government EXPECTS it's citizens to do just that, right? Such expectations just sound too absurd to me! Like you just said, they have NO problems comprehending. I was only talking about the Lao - usually the older ones - that I know of. The younger generation couldn't care less. Responses are either gonna be in Lao or English, as far as we're concerned. No Thai! I have never, ever, met a Thai that actually tried to speak Lao. Even if they're familiar with Lao. Again, I'm just speaking about my own experiences!

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #35 - 20th Apr, 2011 at 1:14am

That's very true. It's rare to find a Thai person who tried to speak Lao. You can hear Thai tourists yakking in Thai language with the vendors on the streets of Laos when you pass by.

Westerners lack Lao language skills when they visit Laos, but at least they try their best to speak Lao.

Thais probably feel more comfortable speaking in their own language, which is not a problem. Again, accept them as they are.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #36 - 20th Apr, 2011 at 1:46am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 20th Apr, 2011 at 1:14am:
That's very true. It's rare to find a Thai person who tried to speak Lao. You can hear Thai tourists yakking in Thai language with the vendors on the streets of Laos when you pass by.

Westerners lack Lao language skills when they visit Laos, but at least they try their best to speak Lao.

Thais probably feel more comfortable speaking in their own language, which is not a problem. Again, accept them as they are.

Finally!

BUK HAA LARB DIP is right!

Do I get a hug?

It's fine when spoken informally. But when in a formal situation, they need to show some respect and at least attemp our mother tongue. It's not too much of a burden, is it? I'm sure this is is expected in every other country in the world let alone theirs.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #37 - 20th Apr, 2011 at 2:51am

Maybe Thai expected Lao to speak Thai. Not other way around.
Shocked Cheesy

Larb Dip wrote on 20th Apr, 2011 at 12:37am:
Admin Saovaluck wrote on 19th Apr, 2011 at 9:39pm:

I'm glad YOU have pride in your culture and are not taking a knee for them. Wink You did say that when Thai tourists cross the river for a visit, that the government EXPECTS it's citizens to do just that, right? Such expectations just sound too absurd to me! Like you just said, they have NO problems comprehending. I was only talking about the Lao - usually the older ones - that I know of. The younger generation couldn't care less. Responses are either gonna be in Lao or English, as far as we're concerned. No Thai! I have never, ever, met a Thai that actually tried to speak Lao. Even if they're familiar with Lao. Again, I'm just speaking about my own experiences!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 288074 Last Post Today at 5:11pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 85995 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 137828 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 74272 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 51039 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77263 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60619 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 47911 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43129 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 35581 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum