Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dangers of having a Lao Girlfriend (Read 47466 times)

tewada
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I will be in Laos soon!

Dangers of having a Lao Girlfriend
21st Mar, 2010 at 10:42am

I have been reading on the net that foreigner (especially farangs) can get in deep trouble when they are found to be in the same room with a Lao GF. Huge fines of several thousand USD and even jail terms are mentioned on the web.

To make matters worse, marriage requires a lot of tea money and months of waiting.

Are those description still accurate? Would love to get some insights from the board.....

View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Re: Dangers of having a Lao Girlfriend
Reply #1 - 21st Mar, 2010 at 6:15pm

Yep it's pretty accurate.  Being in the same room can lead to premarital sex which is not tolerated.  I wish we could enforce this law in the US.  Maybe we could cut down on the teen pregnancies and divorce rates.  As for Marriage, the waiting time and paperwork could take up to possibly 1-2 years.  It's a pain in the ass waiting to be with your spouse.  As long as the both of you are communicating on a daily or weekly basis, time flies.   Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

tewada
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I will be in Laos soon!

Reply #2 - 21st Mar, 2010 at 11:09pm

Wondering how that works in practice! Sounds like you could not even hire a cleaning lady or someone to cook for you...without being in danger of getting jailed or blackmailed....

View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #3 - 22nd Mar, 2010 at 6:13am

If you hire a cleaning lady, etc.. that would be considered employment.  When you employ someone be sure it's documented (application and permits).  Keep all documents in a secure place whenever an incident occur.  In Laos, i wouldn't worry too much tewada.  People there are very traditional/cultural.  In other words, many have respect toward foreigners. 

In America we take girls out, it's okay regardless of what her parents say.  But, if you want a relationship with a Lao/Asia girl I would suggest you get to know her and her family first before you decide to jump the gun.  Lao/Asian families are very strict, in a sense they can lie and put you in a place and nothing you can do about it.  I don't want to see you in this difficult situation.  So, be careful.

View Profile  
IP Logged

tewada
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I will be in Laos soon!

Reply #4 - 22nd Mar, 2010 at 9:25am

Keeping documents or even getting a permit to hire someone to clean you apartment once in a while, just so you are not blackmailed or thrown in jail sounds pretty complicated.... i must say such prospects are not very enticing.....

View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #5 - 22nd Mar, 2010 at 4:20pm

tewada wrote on 22nd Mar, 2010 at 9:25am:
Keeping documents or even getting a permit to hire someone to clean you apartment once in a while, just so you are not blackmailed or thrown in jail sounds pretty complicated.... i must say such prospects are not very enticing.....

If you are a foreigner they assume you are loaded $$$. I'm sure you don't need any sort of documents if you know them or trust them well enough to do the cleaning in a professional manner.  It's better to be safe then sorry.   I know I got blackmailed once by these motel clerks,  they held onto my passport and demanded I pay 3 nights worth when I actually stayed 2.  Of course, I didn't care about anything else, I paid them a measly $40 to obtain my passport.  But, before I left I gave these 2 gentlemen a good lecture.  LOL

View Profile  
IP Logged

tewada
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I will be in Laos soon!

Reply #6 - 22nd Mar, 2010 at 4:50pm

Sounds awful !Nothing like that has ever happened to me in TH. Seems life can easily get very complicated in Laos....

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk IIWJ
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

ThatLuang, Laos P.D.R.
Reply #7 - 22nd Mar, 2010 at 6:42pm

I'm so surprise that admin didn't make any comment regarding this topic.  Maybe she is too busy driving her new BMW around town picking up guys. LOL Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

tewada
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I will be in Laos soon!

Reply #8 - 22nd Mar, 2010 at 7:47pm

Agree, i would love the input on this issue by the moderator! 

I hate to be forced to paranoid and the way it sounds is that even perfectly innocent interactions in everyday situation can lead one vulnerable to blackmail, huge fines and jail.... If no one convinces me otherwise, i will seriously reevaluate my plans....

View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #9 - 22nd Mar, 2010 at 8:09pm

There's no need to be paranoid about it.  As long as you are following their laws and using common sense on who you interact with and what your intentions are you should be okay.  The incident that happened to me was just a one time experience.  But overall, I did enjoy my vacation there and I plan on going back in the near future.  

The country you need to be concern about is Thailand (theft and prostitution).  Laos is very peaceful.

View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #10 - 22nd Mar, 2010 at 8:13pm

tewada, if you don't mind me asking.  What is your intention as far as going to Laos?  Finding a girlfriend?  Just going on a vacation?  Moving there?  If you are going on a vacation you are pretty safe.  If you plan on getting a just a girl friend without marriage, I don't highly recommend it.  If you want to move there then get your business visa set up.  From my understanding it's becoming difficult now, because the government is doing a crackdown on fraud for the reason people abusing it.  You might want to do some research on that.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #11 - 23rd Mar, 2010 at 6:17am

Buk IIWJ, Sorry, I've been busy with visitors from Thailand. Took them out in my BM, a late night out, been sleeping like a baby.

Tewada, All hotels, guesthouses and apartments have their own cleaners, so there is no need for people to hire their own private cleaners.

If you stay with your girlfriend and her family in their homes then there is no problem, however if you are a foreigner (especially a westerner) and you stay with her elsewhere then it may be a problem if you aren't married.

Just respect the law in Laos and your stay will be enjoyable.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

tewada
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I will be in Laos soon!

Reply #12 - 23rd Mar, 2010 at 7:22am

I researched the matter a bit further. Appearantly one needs the consent of the village headman if one stays in a private home, and nothing would then prevent the head of a family to blackmail a boyfriend, if for any reasons, they are unhappy with the boyfriend down the road.

I am sure that most hotels have their own staff for cleaning, but my point was, that even innocent interpersonal contacts may be construed in a fashion that leaves one fully exposed to blackmail and jail terms.

So, it sounds to me that as a tourist Laos can be great...but living a normal life with social interactions in Laos is impossible, as things can turn nasty at any moment......

View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #13 - 23rd Mar, 2010 at 8:54am

tewada wrote on 23rd Mar, 2010 at 7:22am:
I researched the matter a bit further. Appearantly one needs the consent of the village headman if one stays in a private home, and nothing would then prevent the head of a family to blackmail a boyfriend, if for any reasons, they are unhappy with the boyfriend down the road.

I am sure that most hotels have their own staff for cleaning, but my point was, that even innocent interpersonal contacts may be construed in a fashion that leaves one fully exposed to blackmail and jail terms.

So, it sounds to me that as a tourist Laos can be great...but living a normal life with social interactions in Laos is impossible, as things can turn nasty at any moment......

You are right about that.  Living in Laos can be difficult, especially if you don't know the language, tradition and culture well enough.  The only way you can be normal there if you have close ties with family members or friends that live there.  When things get ugly you can turn to them for help.   Other then that, you are on your own. I don't mean to frighten you with all my posts, but, it's reality.

View Profile  
IP Logged

tewada
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I will be in Laos soon!

Reply #14 - 23rd Mar, 2010 at 4:33pm

Hi there!

I spent quite some time on "the other side of the river", have taken language classes and am quite familiar with the culture. But what it all boils down to is the vulnerability to blackmail if one starts to interact with native people in normal fashion and establishes relationships that is the most basic, natural motivation for most human beings (see also articles 16 and 17 of The UN Charta on Human Rightrs)  http://www.un.org/rights/50/decla.htm

So as much as I regret it, I will have to change my long-term plans....

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 0 1291 Last Post 21st Apr, 2024 at 12:52pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 290599 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 86871 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 138562 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 74958 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 51597 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77749 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 61047 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 48285 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43444 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum