Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Dangers of having a Lao Girlfriend (Read 47265 times)

OMD
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Re: Dangers of having a Lao Girlfriend
Reply #15 - 23rd Mar, 2010 at 4:58pm

tewada wrote on 23rd Mar, 2010 at 4:33pm:
Hi there!

I spent quite some time on "the other side of the river", have taken language classes and am quite familiar with the culture. But what it all boils down to is the vulnerability to blackmail if one starts to interact with native people in normal fashion and establishes relationships that is the most basic, natural motivation for most human beings (see also articles 16 and 17 of The UN Charta on Human Rightrs)  http://www.un.org/rights/50/decla.htm

So as much as I regret it, I will have to change my long-term plans....

Sorry to hear.  I hope you do find other destinations that suit you well.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #16 - 23rd Mar, 2010 at 11:15pm

It is hard enough for a Lao guy from the west to go live in Laos. For a foreign white guy to go and live there and have a gf or wife, I have never seen or heard of that before. I have seen and heard of them bringing them to the west, and then they either run away or are trapped financially or by having children. Also have to remember this isn't a multicultural society in Laos and for most of asia for that matter, when the locals see a western male with a native girl, it is not always accepted by positive feelings. I'm even afraid to even date with a girl from Laos cause of the repercussions that could be inflicted upon me such as her family could have me "put away", planting drugs on me or in my hotel and then paying off the cops since they are so currupt. Do you think they've ever heard the phrase "innocent until proven guilty" in Laos? You don't just date/marry a Laos girl, you have to basically join the family and be controlled by them also. If she's from a rich family, she's already got an arranged marriage, so most likely you will be finding a country girl who will have family leech from you and expect to become rich overnight because of you, a foreigner. So basically they are whoring out their daughter. A foreigner living in Laos has to be on their toes cause when something goes bad, you will always be in the wrong. Remember, when you are a tourist, they like it cause you are bringing them money, when you are now permanent, it's like a guest who has overstayed their welcome.

I hate to sound negative but I have also thought about going to another country and living there, and it's not just Laos either. However, always keep in the back of your mind, I don't care what anyone says, LAOS IS STILL A COMMUNIST DICTATORSHIP and there is a reason why there are so many Lao people living outside of Laos since 1975.

Hope you are rich cause from looking at past posts, you can see that people in this region are very materialistic, even though they are poor. Take for example the infamous BMW comment. Also, I was going to comment on the thread about "No money, No honey" thread that I saw posted a while back. I was going to say, "what a great way to welcome a visitor to your country by telling him that the women are prostitutes that can only be bought with money, not love". Sure tells you something about their value system and society in general.

Anyways, if you still going down this one way street, then you got balls of steel. I'll take my chances with the options I have left here: 50% divorce rate, keep bringing one here until I find one that doesn't run away, and lastly just become a monk and leave the situation...

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

OMD

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #17 - 24th Mar, 2010 at 12:29am

Buk Hoo Kee wrote on 23rd Mar, 2010 at 11:15pm:
It is hard enough for a Lao guy from the west to go live in Laos. For a foreign white guy to go and live there and have a gf or wife, I have never seen or heard of that before. I have seen and heard of them bringing them to the west, and then they either run away or are trapped financially or by having children. Also have to remember this isn't a multicultural society in Laos and for most of asia for that matter, when the locals see a western male with a native girl, it is not always accepted by positive feelings. I'm even afraid to even date with a girl from Laos cause of the repercussions that could be inflicted upon me such as her family could have me "put away", planting drugs on me or in my hotel and then paying off the cops since they are so currupt. Do you think they've ever heard the phrase "innocent until proven guilty" in Laos? You don't just date/marry a Laos girl, you have to basically join the family and be controlled by them also. If she's from a rich family, she's already got an arranged marriage, so most likely you will be finding a country girl who will have family leech from you and expect to become rich overnight because of you, a foreigner. So basically they are whoring out their daughter. A foreigner living in Laos has to be on their toes cause when something goes bad, you will always be in the wrong. Remember, when you are a tourist, they like it cause you are bringing them money, when you are now permanent, it's like a guest who has overstayed their welcome.

I hate to sound negative but I have also thought about going to another country and living there, and it's not just Laos either. However, always keep in the back of your mind, I don't care what anyone says, LAOS IS STILL A COMMUNIST DICTATORSHIP and there is a reason why there are so many Lao people living outside of Laos since 1975.

Hope you are rich cause from looking at past posts, you can see that people in this region are very materialistic, even though they are poor. Take for example the infamous BMW comment. Also, I was going to comment on the thread about "No money, No honey" thread that I saw posted a while back. I was going to say, "what a great way to welcome a visitor to your country by telling him that the women are prostitutes that can only be bought with money, not love". Sure tells you something about their value system and society in general.

Anyways, if you still going down this one way street, then you got balls of steel. I'll take my chances with the options I have left here: 50% divorce rate, keep bringing one here until I find one that doesn't run away, and lastly just become a monk and leave the situation...

well said.   Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #18 - 24th Mar, 2010 at 5:05am

You're all entitled to your opinion but let me say this, I have a few friends who are westerners that are married to a Lao girl and they live happily together in Laos.

If you're afraid that something terrible will happen to you then don't come to Laos, it doesn't matter to us really. But if you respect our law, love Lao culture and the peaceful and friendly Lao people then we welcome you with open arms.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

OMD

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #19 - 24th Mar, 2010 at 7:05am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 24th Mar, 2010 at 5:05am:
You're all entitled to your opinion but let me say this, I have a few friends who are westerners that are married to a Lao girl and they live happily together in Laos.

If you're afraid that something terrible will happen to you then don't come to Laos, it doesn't matter to us really. But if you respect our law, love Lao culture and the peaceful and friendly Lao people then we welcome you with open arms.

I'm happy for them that it worked out.  Like I said before, marriage could last a long time if a foreigner remains in Laos with their spouse.  At least you know the tradition and culture mindset is corrupt free versus bringing them to the states, etc.. 

Tourism is very important to Laos economy, I'd say it does matter.  For those that's afraid of the "what if" scenario in regards to relationship, government,  and long term residency I recommend short term visit.  One month of stay is all you need to enjoy the food, tradition, and culture.   Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

tewada
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I will be in Laos soon!

Reply #20 - 24th Mar, 2010 at 8:31am

Marrying a woman from one of the neighboring countries and then move to Laos as a married couple might be the solution to the puzzle Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

macro
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #21 - 24th Mar, 2010 at 11:19am

I don't think it's that bad just to have a female friend in a room for a chat, however it's a different story if you get caught doing somethin naughty, it's the same in China and Vietnam, in China they stamp on your passport or ask your wife to bail you out, well ,as least they don't set you up like in US.
If you looking for excitement minus the unexpected, there are plenty places to go..Thailand, Cambodia, Malaysia, Macau etc...
If you really must do it in commu countries, then go to the top  night cluds and stay in 5 star hotels or hotels run by government, the local official dare not to touch those places...see it's the same devil again...money
In Laos you can pick up a nice girl for a night for US$35 in a top Karaoke bar and get a safe room for $12, it's the same old story everywhere, they have been paid to safeguard the business.
How do I know? I was in the travel industry for a while and know tour guides from different countries, there's an old Chinese saying " all the crows has the same colour...black".

View Profile  
IP Logged

tewada
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I will be in Laos soon!

Reply #22 - 24th Mar, 2010 at 5:03pm

Sorry to correct you, but appearantly having ANY female in your room alone can get you in deep s..t  and you can be blackmailed and jailed !  I have no idea how frequently that happens, but there is that danger !

So no language teacher, cleaning lady, cook, female friend are allowed in your room, unless you are asking for trouble.  That is how things look to me from afar!

View Profile  
IP Logged

tewada
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I will be in Laos soon!

Reply #23 - 24th Mar, 2010 at 5:04pm

Sorry to correct you, but appearantly having ANY female in your room alone can get you in deep s..t  and you can be blackmailed and jailed !  I have no idea how frequently that happens, but there is that danger !

So no language teacher, cleaning lady, cook, female friend are allowed in your room, unless you are asking for trouble.  That is how things look to me from afar!

View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #24 - 24th Mar, 2010 at 5:44pm

tewada wrote on 24th Mar, 2010 at 5:03pm:
Sorry to correct you, but appearantly having ANY female in your room alone can get you in deep s..t  and you can be blackmailed and jailed !  I have no idea how frequently that happens, but there is that danger !

So no language teacher, cleaning lady, cook, female friend are allowed in your room, unless you are asking for trouble.  That is how things look to me from afar!

Instead of having women go into your room to clean, etc.. why not men?? I'm sure you won't get jailed. But, blackmailed maybe.    Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pankeo
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #25 - 24th Mar, 2010 at 5:54pm

The only danger you got to worry about with Lao girls is STI's

View Profile  
IP Logged

Tee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #26 - 26th Mar, 2010 at 12:05pm

Most Laos do have a good nature in their heart! if you treat them well, They wouldn't never do that to anyone. but if you go there to treat them badly than you should deserve every thing come to your way!

Many Farang go there to have fun, I have never hear any thing happened to them yet. you are all adult here. you should chose who do you want to be friend with while you are there. Don't be paranoia, just go there to have a good time..

View Profile  
IP Logged

Want Laos To Be Independence

FREEDOM FIGHTER

Reply #27 - 27th Mar, 2010 at 8:44am

HELLO BHK,

VERY IMPRESSIVE LECTURES.  

BEWARE OF DANGERS IN LAOS...
OUR HUMAN BEING ARE MOST DANGEROUS SPICIES IN THIS PLANET EARTH.  TRUST NO ONE......!  

HAVE FAITH  AND BELIEVE IN YOURSELF.
COMMUNIST NEVER BELIEVE IN GOD. THEY ARE BELIEVE IN AK 47.

MARK MY WORDS FOR IT, 4 YRS LIVED WITH THEM. THEY NEVER CHANGED A BIT.

Power to the people
View Profile  
IP Logged

Tee

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #28 - 27th Mar, 2010 at 8:58am

if you belief in god than you should know how to"Ah ho ci kaum" Holding a vengeance over 35 year...that must be put your shoulder long and heavy for load! It's time to let go with the load....stop and relax...let the young one to carry on from now on...

View Profile  
IP Logged

Want Laos To Be Independence

FREEDOM FIGHTER

Reply #29 - 27th Mar, 2010 at 9:12am

Tee, Thanks.........

I knew, times fly.
Past is past, by gone be by gone.

Power to the people
View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 79293 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 249071 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133264 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69955 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47569 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 74033 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57659 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45474 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 41067 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 34016 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum