Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Cleaning the streets for $60 a month (Read 22290 times)

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Cleaning the streets for $60 a month
20th Jun, 2010 at 12:49am

A Lao woman using a broom to clean the streets of Vientiane for 500,000 kips per month (US$60). You have to feel for her.

Roads are not thoroughly cleaned using this technique, but it does help remove some of the dirt and litter before water trucks are used to wash the roads.

laopride856.jpg

laopride857.jpg

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

longhang
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Re: Cleaning the streets for $60 a month
Reply #1 - 1st Aug, 2010 at 9:17pm

so how exactly would this little old lady make $60 last. i mean what do you think she buys with 500 kp, opium? LMAO jk ok is 500 kip enough to feed her self so i mean how much food can she buy with that? for $60 bucks i can buy some egg, bacon, shrimp, chicken, bread, milk, fruit roll ups lol which will probably last me one day or two.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #2 - 2nd Aug, 2010 at 12:18am

500 kips doesn't have much value these days, it can get you a lolly at best.

The cost of living is cheaper in Laos than in the USA, so $60 US should last her for a while. Maybe some of her family members are also working so they may help each other with the expenses.

IP Logged

USA Joe

I Love Laos!

Reply #3 - 3rd Aug, 2010 at 7:14pm

i'm curious where the lady would sweep all the dust/dirt to?

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #4 - 3rd Aug, 2010 at 10:52pm

Not a bad idea as long as people have a jobs. LPDR how about give the worker a raise $100 a month and hire more people. It'll make Laos look good and clean. People will have jobs.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #5 - 3rd Aug, 2010 at 10:58pm

In the U.S you make money, but you spend more. Cost of living is higher. Payment for a nice house is around $1800 a month + water, phone, electric, gas, cable. So around $2500. If you make $2800 a month. That not much left. You also got car insurance, gas and so on.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #6 - 4th Aug, 2010 at 12:33am

USA Joe, She is sweeping everything to the side to make it easier for herself to collect afterwards with her cart (located in the background). She may only keep the rubbish in her cart, while dust and dirt is swept off the road onto a dustpan then disposed on a ground.

Lan Xang, I agree that street cleaners should receive abit more than what they are currently earning. Yes there tends to be more expenses in the United States than in Laos.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #7 - 4th Aug, 2010 at 6:51pm

I'll clean the street in Laos for $100 a month as a side jobs. If don't has lot of choice. The lady might only make $60 but she probably has no house payment or new car payment, and less bills to pay.  

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #8 - 4th Aug, 2010 at 7:07pm

If the lady make $60 a month. How much does regular offices worker or manufacturing worker get? Here in the US we get pay by hour 40 hrs a week the lowest is $7.25 per hrs. I think for minimum wage. 40 x $7.25= $290 a week.

View Profile  
IP Logged

USA Joe

I Love Laos!

Reply #9 - 4th Aug, 2010 at 8:06pm

llX wrote on 4th Aug, 2010 at 6:51pm:
I'll clean the street in Laos for $100 a month as a side jobs. If don't has lot of choice. The lady might only make $60 but she probably has no house payment or new car payment, and less bills to pay.  

Sorry I dont understand your logic. How will you get pay $100/month to clean laos street when they will only willing pay you $60/month.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #10 - 4th Aug, 2010 at 11:53pm

Lan Xang, It depends on your position and where you work. There are bosses who will pay more or less than elsewhere.

An office worker in Laos wouldn't be too disappointed if they earned between 800,000 ($96 US) to 2 million kips ($240 US) per month. Payments at the end of every month is the standard for most jobs in Laos.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #11 - 5th Aug, 2010 at 12:39am

There are less opportunity in Laos compare to America USA Joe. If I was living in Laos. I myself grow up poor. Something is better then nothing. You has to do what you have to do to survive.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #12 - 5th Aug, 2010 at 12:49am

$96-$240 I think kind of low but better then nothing. Cost of living is cheaper. Here in US sometime I spend at least $100 a day going out and have fun restaurant and bar. I should save my money now and spend less.

View Profile  
IP Logged

USA Joe

I Love Laos!

Reply #13 - 5th Aug, 2010 at 2:59am

llX wrote on 5th Aug, 2010 at 12:39am:
There are less opportunity in Laos compare to America USA Joe. If I was living in Laos. I myself grow up poor. Something is better then nothing. You has to do what you have to do to survive.

hold on, you are missing my question, in your original post, which I quoted

Quote:

you say you would clean streets for $100/month. But it is established that the job pays $60/month. How are you going to force them to pay you $40 more? using your example I don't understand your logic to get a higher pay.

you understand now?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #14 - 5th Aug, 2010 at 3:31am

Lan Xang, You spend $100 a day? My goodness.

The salary in Laos may seem low to you given that you live in America, but anyone in Laos who earns $240 a month is considered a high salary earner.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 36 285406 Last Post 31st Mar, 2024 at 1:47am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 85630 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 137524 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 74004 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 50816 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77060 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60431 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 47762 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43008 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 35483 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum