Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Rice shortages widespread in Laos (Read 13665 times)

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Rice shortages widespread in Laos
7th Feb, 2011 at 6:43am

http://www.vientianetimes.org.la/FreeContent/Free_Rice.htm

While Laos is normally able to produce enough rice to meet national demand, 56 districts out of the total 143 have failed to grow the rice they need for local consumption, a minister has said.

Low rainfall and flooding have been the main reasons why Laos has failed on occasion to meet its rice production targets, Mr Sitaheng told the president.

Some 40,000 tonnes of rice have been lost each year for the past five years due to extreme weather events, resulting in losses of 400 billion kip.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Re: Rice shortages widespread in Laos
Reply #1 - 7th Feb, 2011 at 6:47am

What is the solution? How can we fight mother nature? It will lead to economic and social problem. Maybe drought problem can be solved with technology.
Sad

View Profile  
IP Logged

Lao Dreamer
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Reply #2 - 9th Feb, 2011 at 12:47am

Well, it is easy to blame the weather for everything, especially for rice shortage in Laos. Don't forget that most farmers in Vientiane for example have sold their farms/rice fields to buy cars and mobile phones whilst many have filled in their farms/rice fields and built villas instead. You may have noticed (if you have been back to Vientiane at all) that there are hardly any rice field left to see these days. Shame!

llX wrote on 7th Feb, 2011 at 6:43am:

While Laos is normally able to produce enough rice to meet national demand, 56 districts out of the total 143 have failed to grow the rice they need for local consumption, a minister has said.

Low rainfall and flooding have been the main reasons why Laos has failed on occasion to meet its rice production targets, Mr Sitaheng told the president.

Some 40,000 tonnes of rice have been lost each year for the past five years due to extreme weather events, resulting in losses of 400 billion kip.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 9th Feb, 2011 at 1:32am

Yes, there's not many rice fields left in Vientiane, but there's still plenty of rice fields in rural areas.

Sometimes farmers have no choice but to give up their land, because the Government needs it.

To build Lao-ITTEC and the sports stadium for example.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #4 - 9th Feb, 2011 at 2:06am

They say most of land in Laos is mountain only 8% is suitable for agriculture. We use to have good land for farming like Issan, and Sipsongpanna but Thailand and China annexed those territory.  
Cool Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #5 - 9th Feb, 2011 at 2:15am

Good point. I have not been to Vientiane lately, but still has relative living there. Maybe irrigation system, reservoir to store water, technology will help. In America for example only 1% of the population is a farmer, but with technology these 1% can produce enough food to feed the rest of the 300 million population, and have surplus for exported. But America is a big country and have a lot of good land for agriculture.  
Smiley

Lao Dreamer wrote on 9th Feb, 2011 at 12:47am:
Well, it is easy to blame the weather for everything, especially for rice shortage in Laos. Don't forget that most farmers in Vientiane for example have sold their farms/rice fields to buy cars and mobile phones whilst many have filled in their farms/rice fields and built villas instead. You may have noticed (if you have been back to Vientiane at all) that there are hardly any rice field left to see these days. Shame!

llX wrote on 7th Feb, 2011 at 6:43am:

View Profile  
IP Logged

longhang
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Reply #6 - 9th Feb, 2011 at 10:53pm

i guess many of the population is gonna starve to death, i think that as the lao population modernize less rice will be consumed assuming this modern population has mcdonalds and kfc's to eat lolz when droughts or lack of rain or just poor weather happens in laos the farmers should learn to be smarter by planting potatoes or other crops that needs little water in order to survive or grow because its a huge security risk if they solely depend on rice.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #7 - 10th Feb, 2011 at 2:31am

Good point. I think KFC and McDonald will be a big hit in Laos with young people. They also have $1, $2 meals. I'm don't eat them all the time though. I'm in my 30 and prefer stcky rice, laap and papaya salad. All the good Lao food and BeerLao.
Cool

longhang wrote on 9th Feb, 2011 at 10:53pm:
i guess many of the population is gonna starve to death, i think that as the lao population modernize less rice will be consumed assuming this modern population has mcdonalds and kfc's to eat lolz when droughts or lack of rain or just poor weather happens in laos the farmers should learn to be smarter by planting potatoes or other crops that needs little water in order to survive or grow because its a huge security risk if they solely depend on rice.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Learning Laos
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #8 - 12th Feb, 2011 at 7:09pm

LDR, I am not a Laotian but volunteering a month in Luang Prabang have made me miss sticky rice and papaya salad with BeerLao terribly. So, I totally agree with you. Can't freaking find Laos' terrific food anywhere in this frozen tundra we call the Northeastern US. Cry

BTW, I love Laos and its people. And this news about its rice shortfall is a very sad news indeed. I hope that it will be fixed in time.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Tee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #9 - 13th Feb, 2011 at 12:30am

llX wrote on 10th Feb, 2011 at 2:31am:
Good point. I think KFC and McDonald will be a big hit in Laos with young people. They also have $1, $2 meals. I'm don't eat them all the time though. I'm in my 30 and prefer stcky rice, laap and papaya salad. All the good Lao food and BeerLao.
Cool

longhang wrote on 9th Feb, 2011 at 10:53pm:

Someone is holding on to the old rice stock and waiting to sell them in the higher price... "Someone hardship is someone fortune" This is life!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 79331 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 249077 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133269 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69967 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47572 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 74041 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57663 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45477 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 41070 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 34018 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum