Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
Hi-so, Lo-so in Laos? (Read 190990 times)

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Re: Hi-so, Lo-so in Laos?
Reply #45 - 9th Apr, 2011 at 10:31pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 5th Apr, 2011 at 8:42am:
I don't like to share meals, if I have larp and soup etc, the bowl must be for myself.

Really?

Is this just you that you're talking about here? Or are you describing the prefrences of the Hi-So class in general?

I don't know about you guys (the upper class), but everytime we (peasants) have a reunion/party etc.. everyone consumes their meals on the floor, assuming a sedentary position. I'm willing to bet you guys all break bread on tables.

Please respond. This is VERY intriguing.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #46 - 9th Apr, 2011 at 11:01pm

I'm talking about me, but some locals do that too. In western countries, most people probably have their own plate.

I'm willing to have meals on the floor when there's no chairs and tables available especially in the countryside, but I don't like to sit on the floor though.

I like to sit on chairs with some cushion, not wooden chairs, but this chair is very innovative.

wooden-chairs-in-laos.jpg

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #47 - 9th Apr, 2011 at 11:36pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 9th Apr, 2011 at 11:01pm:
I'm willing to have meals on the floor when there's no chairs and tables available especially in the countryside, but I don't like to sit on the floor though.

I like to sit on chairs with some cushion, not wooden chairs, but this chair is very innovative.

[img]

Yes, I can just imagine that right now...........you slumped to one side while your legs, tucked behind you, are in the radius of the other.

Me, I can eat anywhere. Balancing food on my knees while seated on the couch watching sports is no problem for Yours Truly. But for the sake of my elders (old habits die hard!), who ALWAYS prefer to eat on the floor, that's how we usually eat. Upright with our legs crossed.

By the way, I don't think 'willing' is the right word to be used in such a dire predicament. How about substituting 'willing' with, say, 'forced'? That would paint an even clearer picture, don't you think?

I don't think that 'chair' is any good for anyone's posture, mate! You might end up with a crooked back! Hunchback style. The chairs adjacent would be of better health value. Wink

Are you giving us a glimpse into your castle? Very, VERY nice, indeed. Shocked

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #48 - 9th Apr, 2011 at 11:56pm

So you usually eat on the floor?

For me, if I am in my own home, it's always chair and tables for meals. I don't remember the last time I ate on the floor but it was definately a long time ago.

But yes, you're right, "forced" to sit on the floor is probably the right word when having meals with others who prefer sit on the floor. I don't like it, but I can put up with it, let me put it this way.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #49 - 10th Apr, 2011 at 12:24am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 9th Apr, 2011 at 11:56pm:
So you usually eat on the floor?

For me, if I am in my own home, it's always chair and tables for meals. I don't remember the last time I ate on the floor but it was definately a long time ago.

But yes, you're right, "forced" to sit on the floor is probably the right word when having meals with others who prefer sit on the floor. I don't like it, but I can put up with it, let me put it this way.

I eat anywhere. I don't really care, as long as the hunger is alleviated. I will even park up on the side of the road and pig out in my vehicle if it comes to that.

Are you just talking about you (again), or is this how your whole kin prefer to have your meals. You DID mention in a prior post, that you have a large immediate and extended family (I never forget anything nang!). You must own among your possesions a masive table, countless chairs, spoons/forks/knives/plates/bowls/chop sticks etc. To really make your lives less demanding, I'm also assuming that you have a servant or two?
Answer this one, since we are friends.

You sound too high maintenance for my liking. Cheesy I don't think you even wear girb bay ee hih (flip flops/jandals/sandals etc). I literally have a bikini line wedged between my toes. I wear them everywhere. Eespecially in the summer months. I'll even wear them to the construction sites - on weekends, when no foremans are around.

So, is that your house, or what? Wink

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #50 - 10th Apr, 2011 at 1:26am

All homes have kitchen utensils, regardless of their Hi-So or Lo-So status.

I don't have a servant, I can't afford one but I just use relatives as a servant when I need them. If I need things done such as my clothes washed, I don't do them myself, instead they are sent to a nearby business.

You're right, I don't wear those types of casual beach shoes. It's my relatives place. How can it be my place when I just said that I don't like wooden chairs? You'd think I'd have better chairs than those.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #51 - 10th Apr, 2011 at 2:33am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 10th Apr, 2011 at 1:26am:
All homes have kitchen utensils, regardless of their Hi-So or Lo-So status.

I don't have a servant, I can't afford one but I just use relatives as a servant when I need them. If I need things done such as my clothes washed, I don't do them myself, instead they are sent to a nearby business.

You're right, I don't wear those types of casual beach shoes.

It's my relatives place. How can it be my place when I just said that I don't like wooden chairs? You'd think I'd have better chairs than those.

Of course everyone has utensils. I meant in abundance. You'd be surprised how many people still eat with their hands nang. Don't you eat Khao Niaw? Maybe you just stick to Khao Jaow so you don't get your hands dirty.

What the hell is this supposed to mean?:

"I don't have a servant, I can't afford one but I just use relatives as a servant when I need them."

You sound strereotypical Lao the more and more we correspond: very lazy! Grin
Are you seriously telling me they're all devoted to YOUR happiness alone?

What is considered 'casual' in your dress sense? What do you wear when just strolling out to the local store? We already know the public won't get a glimpse of that milky skin of yours.

Is that model your cousin then? You sound like the offspring of someone that has REAL influence in Laos, and not just deep pockets! I don't think you even have a job. You already have a substantial inheritance waiting for you, right?

From now on, I'm going to refer to you as 'seaw', like I do with all my Lao boys. If you don't mind that is. Grin

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #52 - 10th Apr, 2011 at 3:01am

Yes, I usually eat "kaow jaow". That being said, I'm happy to eat "kaow neow" if I have to. But in terms of which rice I prefer to eat, it's "kaow jaow".

It's not that I'm lazy, I don't have time. My life is pretty hectic with work, so the household work is left for others to do. I can wear anything, as long as it's not ripped or old.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #53 - 10th Apr, 2011 at 3:40am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 10th Apr, 2011 at 3:01am:
Yes, I usually eat "kaow jaow". That being said, I'm happy to eat "kaow neow" if I have to. But in terms of which rice I prefer to eat, it's "kaow jaow".

It's not that I'm lazy, I don't have time. My life is pretty hectic with work, so the household work is left for others to do. I can wear anything, as long as it's not ripped or old.

You sound more and more half Siamese. Are you?

So you DO have a job? I was beginning to think otherwise my dear. What do you REALLY do? You already know about the life story of Larb Dip.

You also used the word 'hectic'. Why is your life so 'hectic', seaw? Why do you need to move around so much? You know about my analytical mind already. Maybe your life really is as 'hectic' as you just described, so you just threw that word in because you were in a rush. You tell me.

Now, here's an off topic topic because you know how spontaneous your seaw can get:

Dou you ever get recognized in the streets? Is anybody like, "Hey, that's the admin'". Anybody asking for your autograph? Anything of the sort?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #54 - 10th Apr, 2011 at 3:42am

IS THAT MODEL YOUR COUSIN OR NOT?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #55 - 10th Apr, 2011 at 4:07am

I'm Lao, and my job is an article writer and obviously the admin of Lao Pride. It will be interesting to know what type of rice other members prefer to eat. If you were given the choice, would you choose steamed sticky rice (kaow neow) or boiled white rice (kaow jaow)?

I'm not Judy Garland or Elizabeth Taylor, why would anyone ask for my autograph?

Some people in the streets know me or recognize me, only those in the heart of Vientiane though, because that's where I live. They don't know that I am the admin because they don't use computers.

She is not my cousin and she is not a model.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #56 - 10th Apr, 2011 at 4:19am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 10th Apr, 2011 at 4:07am:
I'm Lao, and my job is an article writer and obviously the admin of Lao Pride. It will be interesting to know what type of rice other members prefer to eat. If you were given the choice, would you choose steamed sticky rice (kaow neow) or boiled white rice (kaow jaow)?

I'm not Judy Garland or Elizabeth Taylor, why would anyone ask for my autograph?

Some people in the streets know me or recognize me, only those in the heart of Vientiane though, because that's where I live. They don't know that I am the admin because they don't use computers.

She is not my cousin and she is not a model.

I can eat any. I don't really favour one over the other. Whatever is served I will eat. Even if it was dog or cat. If I grew up eating that type of protein, then that's what I would eat. Still today!

Why not? Grin

I was referring to strangers - or rather, FANS. Cheesy

How did she get into that mansion then?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #57 - 10th Apr, 2011 at 5:16am

I know that you can eat any rice, but I said if you were given the choice? I guess you will choose sticky rice because you're a "larp" lover.

I have no fans, and strangers in Vientiane don't know me.

It's just a normal house and not a mansion.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #58 - 10th Apr, 2011 at 6:02am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 10th Apr, 2011 at 5:16am:
I know that you can eat any rice, but I said if you were given the choice? I guess you will choose sticky rice because you're a "larp" lover.

I have no fans, and strangers in Vientiane don't know me.

It's just a normal house and not a mansion.

Okay. If someone happened to shove a gun in my face and I was staring down the barrel while that same someone presented me with the ultimatum: 'Khao Niaw of Khao jaow?',  I, too, would probably go with the tidier option. I'm gonna bet a dollar here, that you don't use your hands at all, while eating. True?

Is that a good thing or what?
What if I reccognized you in Vientiane? How would you like me to behave? Answer this one. You can't ignore this one. Wink

That's a mansion as far as I'm concerned. Lao standards, anyway. Unless you're saying there are real PROPER mansions in Laos.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #59 - 10th Apr, 2011 at 6:36am

Well, if I eat meals that require the use of hands such as sticky rice then I will use them. Most of the time, it's spoon, fork or chopsticks, depending on the food.

You won't recognise me because I'm always working indoors, but I like to associate with people with class and morals. I don't look down on anyone though.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 79420 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 249103 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133288 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 70003 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47587 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 74061 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57676 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45494 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 41079 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 34023 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum