Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
The princess of Laos (Read 103757 times)

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
The princess of Laos
30th Apr, 2011 at 12:38am

Is this a documentary or a movie?

By the way, our 'princess' looks black.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Re: The princess of Laos
Reply #1 - 30th Apr, 2011 at 2:45am

It's just a movie. The claim being related to the actual royal family is flawed. I researched it and haven't found any evidence at all. I think the person that made the movie is trying to draw us in to watch his sh***y movie. You notice the actress is mix, she looks more of a westerner then anything else. Failed attempt. LOL

View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #2 - 30th Apr, 2011 at 3:41am

OMD wrote on 30th Apr, 2011 at 2:45am:
It's just a movie. The claim being related to the actual royal family is flawed. I researched it and haven't found any evidence at all. I think the person that made the movie is trying to draw us in to watch his sh***y movie. You notice the actress is mix, she looks more of a
westerner
then anything else. Failed attempt. LOL

Westerner? Are we looking at the same girl here?

She looks black (or, khon dam, as you Lao Americans call them, right?). Grin

The narrator also claims that the heroine's great grandmother was INDEED a wife/concubine of the then Lao king.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 30th Apr, 2011 at 4:12am

Defiantly a "B" movie. Sounds really lame.

IP Logged

mychalmitchell323
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Chicago
Reply #4 - 28th May, 2011 at 1:22pm

Its a movie with the family biography included at the end.

BTW what does Lao look like? Please tell us.

Larb Dip wrote on 30th Apr, 2011 at 12:38am:

Is this a documentary or a movie?

By the way, our 'princess' looks black.

View Profile princess of laos  
IP Logged

mychalmitchell323

I Love Laos!

Chicago
Reply #5 - 28th May, 2011 at 1:24pm

Researched? How can you research an UNTOLD STORY? Prejudice?

It's just a movie. The claim being related to the actual royal family is flawed. I researched it and haven't found any evidence at all. I think the person that made the movie is trying to draw us in to watch his sh***y movie. You notice the actress is mix, she looks more of a westerner then anything else. Failed attempt. LOL

IP Logged

mychalmitchell323

I Love Laos!

Chicago
Reply #6 - 28th May, 2011 at 1:29pm

The actress is Lao. Now i will see how deep your Lao pride runs.

Larb Dip wrote on 30th Apr, 2011 at 3:41am:
It's just a movie. The claim being related to the actual royal family is flawed. I researched it and haven't found any evidence at all. I think the person that made the movie is trying to draw us in to watch his sh***y movie. You notice the actress is mix, she looks more of a
westerner
then anything else. Failed attempt. LOL

Westerner? Are we looking at the same girl here?

She looks black (or, khon dam, as you Lao Americans call them, right?). Grin

The narrator also claims that the heroine's great grandmother was INDEED a wife/concubine of the then Lao king.

IP Logged

mychalmitchell323

I Love Laos!

Chicago
Reply #7 - 28th May, 2011 at 1:33pm

How do westerners look? Huh

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #8 - 28th May, 2011 at 3:21pm

mychalmitchell323 wrote on 28th May, 2011 at 1:22pm:

Why ask such an unnecassay question? YOU already KNOW what we look like.

I was simply taking her at face-value. If I were to cross paths with her on the streets, there's no way she'd pass off as 'Lao' - in my eyes, anyway. This is straight fact, no racism intended. Pardon the faux pas, but the case of 'mistaken identity' was compounded by the fact that this is indeed a MOVIE. I thought she was simply thrust into a role and doing her utmost to undertake the part.

By the way, since you're the director, (am I right?) when is the movie coming out? I just can't wait to see it. Smiley

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #9 - 28th May, 2011 at 5:06pm

mychalmitchell323 wrote on 28th May, 2011 at 1:24pm:

After all these years, an untold story never surfaced in regards to royalty...and it just happen to be now? and in an ACTION movie?  I find that hard to believe.  If it had been a documentary film, I might have possibly accept it, support your claim and film.

Anyone that lives in the western country for most of their lives are considered westerners regardless of race.  I'll bet you are only thinking about a white man, cowboy boots or hats to be considered westerners.  That is very stereotypical.  Look at what you are asking on this forum.  "How do Lao look? How do westerners look?"  It's the same thing, it doesn't really matter.  The thing I'm more concerned about is your message to younger generation of the so-called "untold story"(your claim).  If there's any ounce of truth in it.

I am truly sorry, but, I will not be supporting your film.  My paycheck will go  directly to Lao charity organizations that actually help improve the country and also movies worth seeing.

View Profile  
IP Logged

mychalmitchell323

I Love Laos!

Chicago
Reply #10 - 28th May, 2011 at 6:32pm

sh**ty movie? actress is mixed? westerner? claim proven? stereotypical? anything but..... infact thats why we made the film no stereotypes allowed....claim? thats only for the people who use a small portion of their check to see it......prejudice just like i thought!!!!

OMD wrote on 28th May, 2011 at 5:06pm:
mychalmitchell323 wrote on 28th May, 2011 at 1:24pm:

After all these years, an untold story never surfaced in regards to royalty...and it just happen to be now? and in an ACTION movie? I find that hard to believe. If it had been a documentary film, I might have possibly accept it, support your claim and film.

Anyone that lives in the western country for most of their lives are considered westerners regardless of race. I'll bet you are only thinking about a white man, cowboy boots or hats to be considered westerners. That is very stereotypical. Look at what you are asking on this forum. "How do Lao look? How do westerners look?" It's the same thing, it doesn't really matter. The thing I'm more concerned about is your message to younger generation of the so-called "untold story"(your claim). If there's any ounce of truth in it.

I am truly sorry, but, I will not be supporting your film. My paycheck will go directly to Lao charity organizations that actually help improve the country and also movies worth seeing.

IP Logged

OMD

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #11 - 28th May, 2011 at 7:28pm

Yes, you are right I am prejudice against your movie because there's no originality and it has been over done by many others.  And also the trailer's message has a mixed feel (confusing).  Especially, when you are trying to blend in fiction and reality (to which I still question) all together. I'm not going to be like many others "Oh I'm Laotian, I'm going to support the movie about Laos regardless if it's good or bad."  I've watched many bad movies based on trailers similar to yours, even with high budget, what makes yours so unique and different?  The trailer you have shown, in my opinion, is basically the summary of the entire movie isn't it?

View Profile  
IP Logged

mychalmitchell323

I Love Laos!

Chicago
Reply #12 - 29th May, 2011 at 9:11pm

dont fall victim to the devil's advocate rule....of course man i know what Lao looks like that was a defense mechanism use to see how you respond, YOU DID OKAY anyway we are working on a new release date.......for the record the actress in question speaks more Lao than the dancers, they were shocked too

Larb Dip wrote on 28th May, 2011 at 3:21pm:

I was simply taking her at face-value. If I were to cross paths with her on the streets, there's no way she'd pass off as 'Lao' - in my eyes, anyway. This is straight fact, no racism intended. Pardon the faux pas, but the case of 'mistaken identity' was compounded by the fact that this is indeed a MOVIE. I thought she was simply thrust into a role and doing her utmost to undertake the part.

By the way, since you're the director, (am I right?) when is the movie coming out? I just can't wait to see it. Smiley

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #13 - 30th May, 2011 at 8:13pm

mychalmitchell323 wrote on 29th May, 2011 at 9:11pm:
dont fall victim to the devil's advocate rule....of course man i know what Lao looks like that was a defense mechanism use to see how you respond, YOU DID OKAY anyway we are working on a new release date.......for the record the actress in question speaks more Lao than the dancers, they were shocked too

Larb Dip wrote on 28th May, 2011 at 3:21pm:

You might want to ask these guys what that think about your movie.

Someone wrote:

"Her real life great grandmother was married to the King of Laos...hmm...interesting. But not to be racist, did she have to be a black girl. "

Is that the kind of response you were looking for?

http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=265487

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

mychalmitchell323

I Love Laos!

Chicago
Reply #14 - 30th May, 2011 at 11:59pm

Larb dip thanks for that insight. I signed up and replied go check it out.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 6
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 36 287518 Last Post 31st Mar, 2024 at 1:47am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 85920 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 137757 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 74218 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 50995 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77218 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60588 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 47882 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43107 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 35559 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum