Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Freedom of religion in Laos (Read 17153 times)

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Freedom of religion in Laos
31st Dec, 2011 at 9:38am

Those who think that other religious teachings and beliefs are not allowed in Laos, below is one of the few churches in Vientiane.

Catholic Church in Vientiane, Laos

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

hankido
Ex Member

Re: Freedom of religion in Laos
Reply #1 - 31st Dec, 2011 at 10:13am

Isn't that church is near the French Embassy? I remember walking past it on my way to Talat Sao.

Here's a few pictures of an Islamic center in Vientiane.

DSC_1909.JPG (176 KB | 707 )
DSC_1909.JPG
DSC_1910.JPG (144 KB | 652 )
DSC_1910.JPG

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #2 - 31st Dec, 2011 at 12:59pm

Yes, it's around that area.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #3 - 6th Jan, 2012 at 1:29pm

"Freedom" in Laos? No such thing.
First off, that chapel is Vietnamese.
Second, I'm assuming, the mosque is for the Khek community; none of those options are open to Lao.

Am I right about that buddy?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #4 - 6th Jan, 2012 at 1:52pm

The church is not Vietnamese.

The sign at the church is written in four different languages so that many people can read it. A strong indication that the church is open for all.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #5 - 6th Jan, 2012 at 2:21pm

Perhaps you and Saovaluck can explain this:
http://www.persecution.org/2011/12/31/lao-officials-force-christians-to-recant-f...

Ironically, the article was posted the same day as this one.
The same day "freedom" supposedly made it's way into Laos.

There's a law of opposites at work in Laos: signs may be written in a miscellany if languages (Lao included) but act as warnings; not invitations. The link I supplied backs that up buddy!

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #6 - 6th Jan, 2012 at 2:49pm

What's bias about it? Persecution: is persecution.

Anyone interested can look up the evidence for themselves.

I am going to Laos. Very soon. I doubt I'll have time to go to Sunday Mass or to the Mosque where it is commonplace to prostrate four to fives a day; I have woman to see; pubs and clubs to tour; dog to eat and anything else that falls in between. Wink

As an aside: how are tour tatos comino along? anything new added?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #7 - 6th Jan, 2012 at 3:13pm

Quote:
I'm glad to hear you're going to Laos. Perhaps you'll get a better prospective on things.

Look mate, just so you know, I ain't one of these 'plastic' Lao internationals you might have encountered in the USA who don't know a damn thing about their culture, let alone speak the language. I speak from experience; know the customs and taboos. This upcoming campaign isn't my maiden tour neither. I've been there, done that. The next time you're in doubt, I suggest you give me the benefit, buddy.

Have a nice day and a happy new year. Smiley

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #8 - 6th Jan, 2012 at 3:39pm

Churches and mosques are open to the general public for a reason.

If Lao authorities were against other religions then they would have forced its closure, and even destroyed the buildings by now.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #9 - 6th Jan, 2012 at 3:56pm

Laos Commies is puppet; the laughing stock of governments the world over! We all know the Viets run Laos! As for the Kheks, I don't know what collateral they have invested which holds sway - maybe you could fill me in there My Love. However if you're Lao....

Just read the link I posted.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #10 - 6th Jan, 2012 at 5:00pm

I don't believe everything I read because there's always two sides to a story.

But anyway in the article, it mentions that the village monk refused to carry out the burial ceremony because the deceased was a Christian.

That makes sense because monks in Laos are Buddhist, and they only deal with Buddhist matters.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #11 - 6th Jan, 2012 at 6:01pm

Quote:
Just by looking at the website of your source I can tell that it's hardly an unbiased source. Clearly it has an agenda. Could you find any other sources to corroborate your assertions? From an organization like Amnesty International, for example? 

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/WO1112/S00780/no-christmas-in-laos-for-persecuted...

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #12 - 16th Jan, 2012 at 5:08am

Freedom and Democracy would be nice in Laos.
Wink Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Heelaburt
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Laos May 2012 biatches!

Reply #13 - 22nd Jan, 2012 at 1:26pm

Freedom of religion? Sure there is, you are free to believe in what they want you to believe. Every Communist country has freedom and Democracy, just look at Burma, and North Korea, and umm... did I mention, North Korea, they believe in their leader so yeah, they do believe in other things besides religion. I would have to strongly disagree with you people who think there is no freedom of religion in Laos cause a new religion is starting to gain popularity in Laos, it's called BeerLao!

Got rice hum dak?!
View Profile  
IP Logged

CamLao
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #14 - 7th Feb, 2012 at 1:20am

That's a very beautiful church building.   In communist countries, people are free to believe what they wish, except that there are restriction for the place of worship.  It's not like if you are a Christian or convert, they execute you.  It's not like in the Islamic world.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78260 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248699 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133029 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69741 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47380 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73864 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57503 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45342 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40928 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33924 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum