Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Love this new Mega mall in Laos 2013. (Read 39098 times)

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Love this new Mega mall in Laos 2013.
16th Jan, 2012 at 5:26am

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Re: Love this new Mega mall in Laos 2013.
Reply #1 - 16th Jan, 2012 at 5:27am

Very nice. Can't wait till they finish in 2013.
Wink Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Heelaburt
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Laos May 2012 biatches!

Reply #2 - 22nd Jan, 2012 at 1:16pm

Wow this is like better than any of the schools, hospitals, and temples in Laos! Now I can buy my Rolex watch so I won't be late to the office and avoid parking my Rolls Royce next to the tuk tuk's. Finally the Lao gov't is listening to the people for once. I was getting tired of having to go to Udon for all my daily essentials like Prada and Gucci, since you know I wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything they sell at the Dalat Sao, fake stuff is so made in China. I think this mall would be great for the kids, now they can have a place to hang out instead of studying in their old run down schools or playing outside, now they can spend their time, and money at this mall which must be air conditioned since it uses so much power and has so many lights. How much did it cost to build this again, well it was money well spent cause I'm sure they'll make a killing with all the demand in this market. I was feeling sorry for the many Lao people with so much disposable income and nothing to do with it. Now we won't be the laughing stock of the world anymore with this megamall, cause now we have shown that we are mega developed. I just hope they put in valet parking cause you know I have a hard time parallel parking.

Got rice hum dak?!
View Profile  
IP Logged

longhang
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Reply #3 - 29th Jan, 2012 at 8:44pm

i prefer walmart.

View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #4 - 31st Jan, 2012 at 4:40am

Heelaburt wrote on 22nd Jan, 2012 at 1:16pm:
Wow this is like better than any of the schools, hospitals, and temples in Laos! Now I can buy my Rolex watch so I won't be late to the office and avoid parking my Rolls Royce next to the tuk tuk's. Finally the Lao gov't is listening to the people for once. I was getting tired of having to go to Udon for all my daily essentials like Prada and Gucci, since you know I wouldn't be caught dead wearing anything they sell at the Dalat Sao, fake stuff is so made in China. I think this mall would be great for the kids, now they can have a place to hang out instead of studying in their old run down schools or playing outside, now they can spend their time, and money at this mall which must be air conditioned since it uses so much power and has so many lights. How much did it cost to build this again, well it was money well spent cause I'm sure they'll make a killing with all the demand in this market. I was feeling sorry for the many Lao people with so much disposable income and nothing to do with it. Now we won't be the laughing stock of the world anymore with this megamall, cause now we have shown that we are mega developed. I just hope they put in valet parking cause you know I have a hard time parallel parking.

To begin, this is a privately owned foreign investment company investing/building in this mega-mall (not Lao PDR's money).  Lao PDR gives them the right to build this mall so the the country can benefit and to 'go forward' by:

(1) generating a little more tax money to help the country in enhancing school and healthcare systems, building more modern infrastructures and to be use everywhere deemed necessary for the people,

(2) creating more jobs for the people

(3) and hopefully this minute 'modern' megamall will enventually directly/indirectly entice additional foreign investors to come build in Laos and hopefully for the main purposes of reasons (1) and (2). 

View Profile  
IP Logged

Heelaburt
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Laos May 2012 biatches!

Reply #5 - 31st Jan, 2012 at 11:22am

Okay, you got to look at this from both the pro's and con's. Yes, I like that something is being developed in Laos, but No, I don't like the way it is being developed.

1. Is there proof that tax money from these developments ever go into schools, healthcare or anything for Laos?

2. What jobs and who are going to get them? Just like the Chinese built almost everything in Laos, they will probably employ Chinese workers again to build this, just like in the SEA games. And again, only the Laos girls with short skirts will be working as a 'sales' girl for $2/day.

3. The main purpose of ANY foreign or domestic investor is to make a profit, period.

I know there are some rich people living in Laos, I know how they get their money but for most people in Laos, they cannot afford to buy anything at this mall if they only make $200/mth. Ask the admin how much she makes a year.
If you take a look at the shareholders of this mall, "Regal Global Group", the video says they are from Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan, and China. If there is any profit, it goes to the shareholders in those countries, they have come to leech what they can from Laos, just like everyone else and Lao gov't is too incompentant to know any better.
Do you know that Thailand and China is helping to develop hydro power dams in Laos? Why are they investing millions? Cause they want the electricity for cheap just like America went to Iraq for the oil. The Vietnamese come to Laos and build roads so they can take the trees and natural resources. Chinese and Thai come to build dams so they can take the electricity and natural resources. Now other neigboring countries want in on this deal of taking what they can from Laos, it's a free for all.
I know how Lao people think there, they see it as wow, we are developing, we got a megamall, we look like other big cities now, hooray! But why we still so poor, why are signs in Chinese and Vietnamese now, why everyone using Amelican dolla or Thai baht now instead of kip.
I seriously don't think this  mall will ever happen, just like the highspeed railway that is all talk. The economics don't make sense unless you're smoking crack. Everyone says all this development is great but where are the facts, where is all the money after? They keep building bridges accross to Thailand and what good has that done, there is no traffic at all. I can just imagine all the people in Laos lining up waiting at the door of this mall to buy a $1000 dollar louis vouitton hand bag, it's like selling ice cream in the north pole.

Got rice hum dak?!
View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #6 - 1st Feb, 2012 at 12:34am

(1) I understand your perspective on this and I too can think of many more pro's and con's on this megamall.  In general, I have more con's than pro's when talking about allowing 'foreigners' to come in and develop the country.  I wish that we can do everything ourselves but that will never happen because of the many obvious reasons. What are being built (bridges, dams, malls etc....) are just the beginning of 'ASEAN globalization' and Laos will be at the center of it all and I think this will be a good thing for everyone in Laos with more opportunities.

(2) So far, there is really small proof that the money generated from these developments go to schools, healthcare and other improvements in particular because this development process is still at the beginning stage.  We really have to see this 10 years from now.  The process does not happen overnight.  With only 7 million people, the process may even go quicker.

(3) As long as the Lao PDR 'stick to their guns' on foreign investment policy then kudos to Lao PDR and for the people.  A very good example, is a foreign company in Laos has to hire 90% (minimun) of the Lao population to be included within the organization. 

(4) Very agree that we all have to make profit, period.

(5) There are rich people and there are poor people in Laos, just like everywhere else around the world. What you have and what you do not have are just relative to your neighbours.  I do not think they are planning to sell a $1000 hand bag here and if so I'll be damned!   

(6) There are profit splits with foreign companies.  Right now they are around 40%/60% split I believe depending on the agreement.  The splits should increase in favour of Laos with increased competition of investors from Japan, Germany, Australia, Thailand, Vietnam, Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan and China.  Yes it would be nice to build them ourselves and keep all of 100% profit.

Overall, Lao PDR needs to 'stick to their guns' in dealing with these foreigner investors and spread much more needed love to our people and then Laos will be fine in the future Wink.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #7 - 3rd Feb, 2012 at 6:29am

They want to attract more tourist. Better infurstracture, that mean more tourist.
Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #8 - 3rd Feb, 2012 at 6:30am

HAIR I agreed...

PEACE wrote on 31st Jan, 2012 at 4:40am:
Heelaburt wrote on 22nd Jan, 2012 at 1:16pm:

To begin, this is a privately owned foreign investment company investing/building in this mega-mall (not Lao PDR's money).  Lao PDR gives them the right to build this mall so the the country can benefit and to 'go forward' by:

(1) generating a little more tax money to help the country in enhancing school and healthcare systems, building more modern infrastructures and to be use everywhere deemed necessary for the people,

(2) creating more jobs for the people

(3) and hopefully this minute 'modern' megamall will enventually directly/indirectly entice additional foreign investors to come build in Laos and hopefully for the main purposes of reasons (1) and (2). 

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #9 - 5th Feb, 2012 at 2:04pm

Even if not everybody can afford to buy luxery stuff. They can still enjoy dinner, movies, club and gym at the mall. Nice spot to hangout.
Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #10 - 15th Apr, 2012 at 5:39pm

What Mega Mall? All I saw was dirt on the ground. This thing ain't happening, they still trying to sell units to get money enough to actually start developing/construction. What a joke, you know how much money they want per square foot of retail space? The reason why they are advertising like crazy is cause they have no investors, no money, nothing but hope. I went by there about 2 weeks ago and I laughed cause all I saw was posters with pictures of this new mall, but nothing there but dirt on the ground. This is going to be here in 2013? I wish only the best for Laos but let's be real here. I also drove by that waterslide park that took 2 million to make and no one there. Better to take that 2 million and put it in the bank and collect that 12% interest instead. Also saw many half built hotels cause there is no market for it. Don Chan Palace was closed when I tried to go there cause there was a fight there and they had to shut down for a while, so I was told. The only thing that thrives there are restaurants, cause everyon's got to eat. Half my money was spent eating.

Dalat Sao is still numba one in Vientiane. There is some new area's that just got added to cater to the hi-sho people and you can't bargain in those stores, I tried and failed, haha.

So Mega Mall, equals mega dissapointment.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

laojin
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #11 - 15th Apr, 2012 at 10:50pm

Shocked

Buk Hoo Kee wrote on 15th Apr, 2012 at 5:39pm:
What Mega Mall? All I saw was dirt on the ground. This thing ain't happening, they still trying to sell units to get money enough to actually start developing/construction. What a joke, you know how much money they want per square foot of retail space? The reason why they are advertising like crazy is cause they have no investors, no money, nothing but hope. I went by there about 2 weeks ago and I laughed cause all I saw was posters with pictures of this new mall, but nothing there but dirt on the ground. This is going to be here in 2013? I wish only the best for Laos but let's be real here. I also drove by that waterslide park that took 2 million to make and no one there. Better to take that 2 million and put it in the bank and collect that 12% interest instead. Also saw many half built hotels cause there is no market for it. Don Chan Palace was closed when I tried to go there cause there was a fight there and they had to shut down for a while, so I was told. The only thing that thrives there are restaurants, cause everyon's got to eat. Half my money was spent eating.

Dalat Sao is still numba one in Vientiane. There is some new area's that just got added to cater to the hi-sho people and you can't bargain in those stores, I tried and failed, haha.

So Mega Mall, equals mega dissapointment.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #12 - 16th Apr, 2012 at 12:27am

Why are you surprised? Talk is cheap, bulshiet is even cheaper.
Next thing you know, people are going to start talking about that highspeed train that is going to be built, ahuh, next year right? I'll believe it when I see it.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

laojin
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #13 - 16th Apr, 2012 at 7:37am

According to Raymond Wong, General Manager of Regal Global Investment Development Group, construction of the Regal MegaMall City will start in July 2011 and should be completed by 2013. Grin

Buk Hoo Kee wrote on 16th Apr, 2012 at 12:27am:
Why are you surprised? Talk is cheap, bulshiet is even cheaper.
Next thing you know, people are going to start talking about that highspeed train that is going to be built, ahuh, next year right? I'll believe it when I see it.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #14 - 17th Apr, 2012 at 5:13am

Can't wait till the mall is finish. Want to Check out the restaurant, shopping and maybe lifting at the gym after. Go Laos Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78455 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248753 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133081 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69774 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47421 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73902 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57531 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45365 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40961 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33943 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum