Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Lao language disappearing in Laos (Read 42507 times)

Danglao
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Re: Lao language disappearing in Laos
Reply #15 - 30th Mar, 2012 at 11:10am

Grin oh lol, like loveable face ... a face only mother could love rofl.  I was so confused.  Can you explain the other one for handsome? jaow soo and Lor.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #16 - 30th Mar, 2012 at 11:37am

Yes, "lovable face" is a more accurate meaning.

"Ror" is a Thai word meaning handsome. Lao people copy them by saying "lor".

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
"Make Life Brigter"
Reply #17 - 15th Apr, 2012 at 5:18pm

Don't have to worry, soon everyone will be able to speak english anyways, thanks to this school that teaches students how to have a "Brigter" future in their life.

Phuket_945a.jpg (183 KB | 470 )
Phuket_945a.jpg

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #18 - 16th Apr, 2012 at 6:52am

Maybe the folks who designed the school billboard ought to get some English lessons themselves.

IP Logged

HAIR
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #19 - 21st Apr, 2012 at 3:54am

I see nothing wrong on the billboard!

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 16th Apr, 2012 at 6:52am:
Maybe the folks who designed the school billboard ought to get some English lessons themselves.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #20 - 21st Apr, 2012 at 4:13am

HAIR wrote on 21st Apr, 2012 at 3:54am:

Perhaps you should join them for some English lessons.

"Brigter" isn't a word. It should be "brighter".

IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #21 - 21st Apr, 2012 at 8:03am

Admin, maybe he likes his future to be Brigter.
Every language changes. Do you think there was a word for internet before it was invented? What is the Laos word for it then? We can't help but be influenced, we are influenced by other cultures just like they are influenced by us Laos people. If you guys ever watch the cartoon they show on american tv called "king of the hill", there's a Laos family on that show which was based on a real Laos family.

http://kingofthehill.wikia.com/wiki/Kahn_Souphanousinphone

Kohng Koy Kahn Soupanousinphone (Born March 19,1961) Age 50 is an antagonistic neighbor on the animated series King of the Hill. He and his wife Minh and his daughter Connie live next door to the Hills. Kahn works in the Information Technology industry as a system analyst. He originates from Luang Prabang, Laos, from which he moved to Anaheim, California temporarily, but left due to "neighbor problems" as told by Minh. He attends the Nine-Rivers Country Club, and is known to suck-up to the owner of the Country Club. Kahn has a love-hate relationship with his Rainey Street neighbors, often insulting them, and other times showing kindness.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #22 - 21st Apr, 2012 at 11:26am

There's no Lao word for "internet", glad you mentioned it. The locals generally say "net" for internet and "com" for computer.

I don't watch cartoons.

IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #23 - 21st Apr, 2012 at 5:13pm

OUCH Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin! My hair is blocking my vision and cannot see clearly-LOL! 

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 21st Apr, 2012 at 4:13am:
HAIR wrote on 21st Apr, 2012 at 3:54am:

Perhaps you should join them for some English lessons.

"Brigter" isn't a word. It should be "brighter".

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #24 - 22nd Apr, 2012 at 6:00am

You can be forgiven for that.

IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #25 - 23rd Apr, 2012 at 8:27pm

YES! One of my favourite shows of all time.  Eventually the family resides in Arlen, Texas which is not far from  where I am currently at.

Buk Hoo Kee wrote on 21st Apr, 2012 at 8:03am:
Admin, maybe he likes his future to be Brigter.
Every language changes. Do you think there was a word for internet before it was invented? What is the Laos word for it then? We can't help but be influenced, we are influenced by other cultures just like they are influenced by us Laos people. If you guys ever watch the cartoon they show on american tv called "king of the hill", there's a Laos family on that show which was based on a real Laos family.

http://kingofthehill.wikia.com/wiki/Kahn_Souphanousinphone

Kohng Koy Kahn Soupanousinphone (Born March 19,1961) Age 50 is an antagonistic neighbor on the animated series King of the Hill. He and his wife Minh and his daughter Connie live next door to the Hills. Kahn works in the Information Technology industry as a system analyst. He originates from Luang Prabang, Laos, from which he moved to Anaheim, California temporarily, but left due to "neighbor problems" as told by Minh. He attends the Nine-Rivers Country Club, and is known to suck-up to the owner of the Country Club. Kahn has a love-hate relationship with his Rainey Street neighbors, often insulting them, and other times showing kindness.

View Profile  
IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #26 - 23rd Apr, 2012 at 8:30pm

Kop jai  Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin!

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 22nd Apr, 2012 at 6:00am:
You can be forgiven for that.

View Profile  
IP Logged

weixiang
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #27 - 26th Apr, 2012 at 10:54pm

people..how's everyone doing..?
i am alvin..from singapore..call me ວິນ
i was thinking to start a new thread where we can exhange pointers about the language..english..lao..maybe even thai..?

View Profile  
IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #28 - 27th Apr, 2012 at 12:46am

Sure.  I need to hone Lao language as well.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #29 - 27th Apr, 2012 at 6:38am

Welcome to LP forum. Smiley

weixiang wrote on 26th Apr, 2012 at 10:54pm:
people..how's everyone doing..?
i am alvin..from singapore..call me ວິນ
i was thinking to start a new thread where we can exhange pointers about the language..english..lao..maybe even thai..?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 79331 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 249077 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133269 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69967 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47572 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 74041 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57663 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45477 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 41070 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 34018 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum