Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Who is the buyer of Judy Garland's dress? (Read 14252 times)

peterpan
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Who is the buyer of Judy Garland's dress?
11th Nov, 2012 at 6:55pm

Wizard of Oz dress gets $480,000

The buyer of the dress has not been identified
A dress worn by Judy Garland in the Wizard of Oz has sold for $480,000 (£302,000) at auction in Beverly Hills.

The price for the blue and white gingham pinafore dress was in line with expectations, Julien's Auctions said.

A similar dress worn during tests for the classic 1939 film fetched $910,000 (£572,500) in 2011, Reuters reports.

Auctioneer Darren Julien said the difference in price was due to the fact that fewer versions of the test dress were made.

Neither dresses fetched anywhere near the $4.6m (£2.8m) spent last year on Marilyn Monroe's white "subway dress" from the 1955 film The Seven Year Itch, and the $3.7m (£2.3m) taken for Audrey Hepburn's Ascot dress from My Fair Lady.

The Wizard of Oz dress was made by the famous MGM costume designer Adrian Greenberg, who was commonly known simply as Adrian.

The buyer has not been identified.

However, Judy Garland's dress was not the only highlight of the two-day Hollywood Icons auction.

A green floral dress worn by Julie Andrews in The Sound of Music fetched $38,400 (£24,150); a racing jacket belonging to Steve McQueen sold for $50,000 (£31,500) and a purple wool skirt worn by Marilyn Monroe during the making of the 1954 film River of No Return went for the same amount.

Meanwhile, $1,375 (£865) was paid each for a slice of wedding cake from both Prince William and Kate Middleton's wedding and the 1981 wedding of Prince Charles and Princess Diana.

BBC
« Last Edit: 8th Jan, 2013 at 5:47pm by Admin Saovaluck »  
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Who is the buyer of Judy Garland's dress?
Reply #1 - 12th Nov, 2012 at 8:09am

Julien's Auctions were expecting to fetch between $500,000 and $600,000 for her dress prior to the auction so they didn't quite meet the minimum sale price, but they'd be satisfied and the anonymous buyer would be just as thrilled to own one of the most beautiful and famous dresses in the world.

Related articles to Judy Garland's dress from The Wizard of Oz:

star.gif
star.gif

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #2 - 13th Nov, 2012 at 8:47am

What a waste of money. I could have bought so many bowls of kow piek and pieng kai with that and still have some left over to buy a decent house in Vientiane.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 13th Nov, 2012 at 11:21am

It really depends on each individual. Some people like to collect movie memorabilia and there are some people who like Judy Garland.

If I had the money, I would be willing to throw away half a million dollars for the dress. Anything Judy Garland is worth getting a hold of.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Reply #4 - 28th Apr, 2013 at 7:29pm

Whatcha gonna tell your brother?
Oh Oh Oh
Whatcha gonna tell your father?
I don't know!
Whatcha gonna tell your mother?
Let me go...

Dressed for success

I'm gonna get dressed for success.

I'm gonna get dressed for success,
hitting a spot for the big time, baby.
Get dressed for success, shaping it up for your love.

Yeah Yeah Yeah

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78686 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248865 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133139 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69843 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47468 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73949 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57575 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45406 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 41006 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33974 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum