Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Lao Airlines plane with 40 Passengers crashes into Mekong River (Read 29742 times)

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Lao Airlines plane with 40 Passengers crashes into Mekong River
Reply #15 - 20th Oct, 2013 at 11:55pm

Many Laotians died while trying to swim across the Mekong River into Thailand to escape the communists during the war in the 1970's.

They were either shot or drowned, and there's still many angry souls in the rivers of Laos from of our sad and sorry history. In Laos, we call the water ghosts "Pee Naam", and they like to take foreigners. Laotians have a love affair with foreigners and the water ghosts are no different.

Many deaths with foreigners in Laos occurs in the water than on the roads when we consider our roads more dangerous. The deaths in the waters of Vang Vieng is also due to hitting the rocks underneath, so those who didn't drink or take drugs would have died anyway. I believe the water ghosts have taken their life.

The sleeper buses do tend to make you vulnerable during accidents because you're sleeping and there's no seat belt. I actually don't mind the beds in buses because a trip can take 8 or 9 hours. Those who don't want to sleep can sit on the bed.

The roads is Laos are not flash but they have improved over the years. At the end of the day you have to get from A to B and I know what I prefer taking between road and air travel.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #16 - 21st Oct, 2013 at 5:48am

With regards to the sleeping buses, it is mostly an issue for those of us who stand at 1.8 meters or taller.

Thanks for explaining your view on ghosts. I don't agree with them but it is always interesting to hear a new perspective.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #17 - 21st Oct, 2013 at 6:09am

To each their own beliefs.

As for sleeping buses, it can be an inconvenience for tall people. You can actually choose the type of bus you want to travel in when buying your ticket.

In Laos, we have air-conditioned buses that have seats or beds.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #18 - 21st Oct, 2013 at 10:21am

Here we had water gost sotries when I was a child, then, Mekong River ( Lang Chang River we call ) was large and deep. Now, seems the stories have gone, now, the River is small in dry season and gostes had long gone.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #19 - 21st Oct, 2013 at 4:28pm

Are there ghosts in Xishuangbanna, pete?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Reply #20 - 21st Oct, 2013 at 5:44pm

It's all about individual's beliefs.  Ghosts are souls that are in the process of getting to Heaven.  I do not believe these souls are meant to harm living humans. 

Stupid behaviours, unforseen environmental conditions and mechanical failures will eventually lead to loss of human lives.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #21 - 21st Oct, 2013 at 8:44pm

TexasCowboy wrote on 21st Oct, 2013 at 4:28pm:
Are there ghosts in Xishuangbanna, pete?

I don't know , never helloed one.

I was told chasing ghosts away by spilling your own blood, just one or two drops.  Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #22 - 22nd Oct, 2013 at 10:18am

Beef Cake wrote on 21st Oct, 2013 at 5:44pm:
It's all about individual's beliefs.  Ghosts are souls that are in the process of getting to Heaven.  I do not believe these souls are meant to harm living humans. 

Stupid behaviours, unforseen environmental conditions and mechanical failures will eventually lead to loss of human lives.

Shoot man i belive in ghost ! here in the state too

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #23 - 22nd Oct, 2013 at 6:00pm

The U.S. and Canada have the ghosts of the Native Americans. Much more dangerous than the ghosts in Laos.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 0 1063 Last Post 21st Apr, 2024 at 12:52pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 290425 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 86758 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 138450 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 74852 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 51517 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77676 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60978 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 48235 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43403 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum