Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Laos tops WHO list of Asean alcohol consumption (Read 12045 times)

Beef Cake
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Laos tops WHO list of Asean alcohol consumption
18th Oct, 2013 at 8:13pm

Laos ranks top out of the 10 Asean countries for alcohol beverage/beer consumption, with an average of 7 litres consumed per person per year, according to a survey conducted by the World Health Organisation (WHO).

The results were revealed at a meeting held in Vientiane on Friday to sum up the Community-based Drug Abuse Control Project.

The survey also found that Lao women drink more alcohol than women in other Indochina countries.

Laos has many ethnic groups and each has its own traditions and culture but alcohol plays an important role throughout Lao society, the survey found.

The survey showed that many people spend six months a year (June to November) cultivating crops such as rice and sweetcorn, with some of the crop used to make alcohol.

The rest of the year (December to May) is when many festivals and social events take place. These provide plenty of opportunity for drinking, with people partying hardest over international New Year, the Chinese and Vietnamese New Year, Lao New Year, boat racing festivals and the rocket festival.

In addition, parties are held to celebrate a promotion, a new baby, a wedding, or a new house, while returnees are fervently welcomed home after a trip overseas.

Apart from drinking imported alcohol and beer, the various regions and provinces produce home-made liquor, the most popular of which is a potent rice brew known as lao khao, commonly produced in Khong district, Saravan province. Other forms of rice-based liquor are also prevalent, including a distillation that is drunk from a clay jar through straws.

Unsurprisingly the survey found that the high consumption of alcohol is a frequent cause of road accidents and domestic violence. It has dire effects on people's health and often puts their safety in jeopardy, with road accidents maiming and killing many people each year.

In 2009, some 5,490 road accidents were reported, leaving 9,664 people injured and 753 dead. In 2010, the number of accidents rose to 5,802, with 11,128 people injured and 775 killed.

In 2011, a total of 6,541 accidents were recorded, leaving 11,503 people injured and resulting in 902 deaths. In 2012, the figures were slightly lower, with 6,164 accidents recorded in which 10,191 people were injured and 888 people died.

In Laos, people's livers are under attack from three sources – alcohol, hepatitis and liver flukes – all which can prove fatal.

It is common practice for people to force one another to empty their glass when drinking, leading to large amounts of alcohol being consumed over a short period of time. Amid all the merry-making, it seems no one stops to reflect on the fact that this behaviour can have grave health consequences.

The WHO survey also found that the advertising of alcoholic beverages is on the increase in newspapers and magazines and on radio and television.

At the same time the number of bars, entertainment venues, hotels and guesthouses, which are all outlets for alcoholic beverages, is on the rise without restriction, making it all too easy for people to gather for innumerable drinking sessions.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Re: Laos tops WHO list of Asean alcohol consumption
Reply #1 - 18th Oct, 2013 at 8:17pm

"Alcohol"

I can make anybody pretty
I can make you believe any lie
I can make you pick a fight
With somebody twice your size

I been known to cause a few break ups
I been known to cause a few births
I can make you new friends
Or get you fired from Work

[1st Chorus]
And since the day I left Milwaukee
Lynchburg and Bordeaux France
Been making the bars lots of big money
And helping white people dance
I got you in trouble in high school
But college, now that was a ball
You had some of the best times
You'll never remember with me
Alcohol
Alcohol

I got blamed at your wedding reception
For your best man's embarrassing speech
And also for those
Naked pictures of you at the beach

I've influenced kings and world leaders
I helped Hemmingway write like he did
And I'll bet you a drink or two that I can make you
Put that lampshade on your head

[2nd Chorus]
'Cause since the day I left Milwaukee
Lynchburg and Bordeaux France
Been making a fool out of folks just like you
And helping white people dance
I'm medicine and I am poison
I can help you up or make you fall
You had some of the best times
You'll never remember with me
Alcohol
Alcohol
Laugh

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #2 - 19th Oct, 2013 at 11:02am

That's no surprise, we are a country of alcoholics. From what I can see, I don't think we are only on top in ASEAN countries but we are on top of the WORLD!

Laotians enjoy drinking alcohol

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #3 - 20th Oct, 2013 at 8:17am

Very nice night clubs, I will go there next time in Vientien.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #4 - 22nd Oct, 2013 at 10:23am

peterpan wrote on 20th Oct, 2013 at 8:17am:
Very nice night clubs, I will go there next time in Vientien.

I'm right behind ya Peter.  Applause  Cheesy

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #5 - 22nd Oct, 2013 at 6:07pm

What is the name of the club?  Cheesy

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #6 - 24th Oct, 2013 at 10:17am

Beer Lao is listed on laos stock market?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #7 - 27th Dec, 2013 at 2:08am

I dont know

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 36 286856 Last Post 31st Mar, 2024 at 1:47am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 85821 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 137688 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 74146 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 50938 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77172 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60539 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 47845 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43076 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 35536 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum