Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
First day back in Laos (Read 66867 times)

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Re: First day back in Laos
Reply #15 - 18th Dec, 2013 at 6:50am

A friend who brought me to the guesthouse told me he suspected the husband was involved in an extramarital affair. The lady running the establishment teaches me Lao and asked me if I drink and then complained about how her husband is always away from the family drinking with his work colleagues. I saw him drinking with two other men and three beautiful women in town.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #16 - 18th Dec, 2013 at 9:43am

That's the problem with Lao men in this day and age. When there's alcohol involved, generally there's also women involved too.

Married Lao men drinking with other women in Laos is considered normal, and married Lao men sleeping with other women is considered normal. There's really nothing their wives can do about it because they have nowhere to go.

Laos is a country in tatters as you can clearly see in the early stages of your visit. You have already witnessed two cheating Lao men, try living in Laos for a year and you will see much, much more than that.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #17 - 18th Dec, 2013 at 1:14pm

Alcohol and drugs seem to be the cause of at least half of the visible problems in southeast Asia. Lots of drunk driving accidents,  lots of people cheating on their spouse after drinking, lots  of criminals and drug addicts robbing tourists to fund their bad habits. Laos is relatively safe and the people are generally more welcoming to falang than other SE Asians. What I wonder is if the criminals really believe in the karma cycle because some of them are just downright rotten.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #18 - 18th Dec, 2013 at 2:04pm

We don't have much of a drug problem in Laos like there are in Thailand.

We do however have lots of driving accidents, people cheating and alcohol problem.

It's true that Laos is safe and we make tourists regardless of their race feel welcome. That's probably the only positive thing about Laos.

IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #19 - 18th Dec, 2013 at 2:12pm

nice to know laos mens drinking stories from a cowboy. When I was in Laos, I found no such problem, maybe I was in business mood, no one wanted to show me that way.

As for woman-can-do-nothing-about-it. I think it depends on the education woman has. I know a lady with much higer education and working with a Gov department. She drove me around with her Benz. I was very curious about everything, but I kept my mouth shut. Grin Grin Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #20 - 18th Dec, 2013 at 2:27pm

TexasCowboy wrote on 18th Dec, 2013 at 1:14pm:
Alcohol and drugs seem to be the cause of at least half of the visible problems in southeast Asia. Lots of drunk driving accidents,  lots of people cheating on their spouse after drinking, lots  of criminals and drug addicts robbing tourists to fund their bad habits. Laos is relatively safe and the people are generally more welcoming to falang than other SE Asians. What I wonder is if the criminals really believe in the karma cycle because some of them are just downright rotten.

I dont know if you have working experiences or not. From what I know here. Drinking alcohol with collegueas or others is a way reaching to the upper ladder. We see it here, in Thailand, in Laos, in Viet, in Malay, in Jap. When I got my first job, drinking was the only way to cuddle up with the others. After 2 years, I quit.  The only way to keep drinking habit away is increase mecial cost, as it happens here.  Grin Grin Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #21 - 18th Dec, 2013 at 3:54pm

peterpan wrote on 18th Dec, 2013 at 2:12pm:
As for woman-can-do-nothing-about-it. I think it depends on the education woman has. I know a lady with much higer education and working with a Gov department. She drove me around with her Benz.

Education doesn't mean anything in Laos, it's about having the right contacts. If their parents are rich or they work in a high position then their kids will have more advantage.

Some of my relatives work in the Lao government department and they are not exactly smart, they just know people to get there.

If people in Laos drive around in a luxury car then they are wealthy. It doesn't mean they are smart, there's lots of corruption in Laos. Some people may have worked very hard to earn it too.

IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #22 - 18th Dec, 2013 at 5:01pm

Admin, you seem really jaded about Laos. It's still one of the best countries in SE Asia and there are lots of really good people here.  Most people here are genuinely good it's just a minority stirring up shit for everyone else. Same situation in Vietnam, Cambodia and even Texas. Although criminals aren't so ballsy in my home state because they can get shot if they step out of line.

And peterpan, my own drinking stories have only beenn positive in Laos.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #23 - 18th Dec, 2013 at 5:47pm

The locals are nice to you because you are a foreigner bringing in the cash for their business. Let my poor relative in the countryside walk past their guesthouse, they probably won't even look at them in the eye.

I still love Laos but there's many things that I'm not happy with.

IP Logged

Bao Evil
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

USA
Awards: 1
Laotian Award
Reply #24 - 18th Dec, 2013 at 9:50pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 18th Dec, 2013 at 5:47pm:
The locals are nice to you because you are a foreigner bringing in the cash for their business. Let my poor relative in the countryside walk past their guesthouse, they probably won't even look at them in the eye.

Saovaluck, sad but you are so right on this!

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #25 - 19th Dec, 2013 at 2:46am

Heck cowboy you not suppose to be the moral police.
What admin saying is so true. When you have money
Or the main provider , you are the king. It's up to the woman if they wanna stay or leave. I mind my own business and enjoy
Your time there.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #26 - 19th Dec, 2013 at 10:49am

I'm not being the moral police here bro. I post about it on LaoPride because it was an observation I made. I'm not trying to police anyone.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #27 - 19th Dec, 2013 at 12:43pm

TexasCowboy wrote on 19th Dec, 2013 at 10:49am:
I'm not being the moral police here bro. I post about it on LaoPride because it was an observation I made. I'm not trying to police anyone.

Any interesting stories today?  Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #28 - 19th Dec, 2013 at 7:34pm

A local ethnic person taught me some Vietnamese boxing. Dude was pretty fast when I sparred with him.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #29 - 20th Dec, 2013 at 11:19am

Go observe the good food and the pretty girls  Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 0 1510 Last Post 21st Apr, 2024 at 12:52pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 290764 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 86967 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 138658 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 75037 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 51664 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77804 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 61104 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 48329 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43488 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum