Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
A picture is worth a thousand words (Read 98599 times)

ba dac
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

pakse
Awards: 2
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Re: A picture is worth a thousand words
Reply #30 - 27th Jan, 2014 at 11:29am

CDN Lao lover wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 5:40pm:
ba dac wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 11:46am:
peterpan wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 11:27am:
Buddhist temples are dependent on charities and htey wouldn't exist if Lao people didn't have a "charity" attitude.

Here the temples( 90% of them) are under administration of sort governmental orginazation. Laos government does not offer financial support to temples? Just curious, since we have simliar system.

Tell him Peter.Thank you . The Goverment is a POS.
If you don't know what it mean it stand for (peace of CHit)  Cheesy

Since I'm just a stupid westerner who doesn't know anything about Lao Buddhism, from what I've been told the only reason most Lao "give" to a Temple is so that they get some "reward" for their next life. It's all about THEIR karma. That's not "charity". Charity is the free giving of something you have with no expectations in return. That definitely isn't what the Buddhist "culture" in Lao is all about.

Prove to me that the morning alms giving doesn't have some ulterior motive related to the "giver" wanting something back in return?

The whole purpose of becoming a monk is to give up worldly possessions, meditate, and pray for enlightenment. I see most novices with cell phones and buying "crap" food. I know of many instances where the "charity" given to a temple has nothing to do selflessness and everything to do with selfishness. It's mostly about what can I get in return, this life or the next. And that, is not charity.

If I am wrong, please enlighten me as to the reasons Lao people give to a Temple and not to the poor villagers. Becoming a monk is a choice. Being born poor in a village with no electricity, toilets or running water is not a choice I believe that any of these people have made. All the "charity" given to the Temples would have a better ROI "return on investment" (if you don't know what it stands for) being used for education, health and investment in the villages for the poor.

Why? Because Temples are a sink hole. Money goes in and does nothing to help society as a whole, except making someone think their business is making money because of their "charity", or will heal a sick family member, or have a monk "bless" a new car or house, for good luck. Investing in other Lao communities will raise everybody's standard of living. And that, my boy, is what capitalism is all about.

Want to call me a commie. You should get a dictionary, economics text, or encyclopedia out and do a little homework. Then you might understand the difference.

Hey Dummy , that's the problem .Like you say it what you been told.Apparently you hook up with a local chic that not even comfortable in her own skin(how sad). A temple a sink hole ?
What a moronic statement.I like to know what your stance on church ? where they not only take money in weekly and
some give 10% of their pay-check.You're a disgrace .How
old is your old lady 17yrs and you're what 50 something.
what matter couldn't get ya a white woman ? go jump in the
mekong . MORON

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #31 - 27th Jan, 2014 at 11:46am

CDN Lao lover wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 5:40pm:
ba dac wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 11:46am:
peterpan wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 11:27am:
Buddhist temples are dependent on charities and htey wouldn't exist if Lao people didn't have a "charity" attitude.

Here the temples( 90% of them) are under administration of sort governmental orginazation. Laos government does not offer financial support to temples? Just curious, since we have simliar system.

Tell him Peter.Thank you . The Goverment is a POS.
If you don't know what it mean it stand for (peace of CHit)  Cheesy

Since I'm just a stupid westerner who doesn't know anything about Lao Buddhism, from what I've been told the only reason most Lao "give" to a Temple is so that they get some "reward" for their next life. It's all about THEIR karma. That's not "charity". Charity is the free giving of something you have with no expectations in return. That definitely isn't what the Buddhist "culture" in Lao is all about.

Prove to me that the morning alms giving doesn't have some ulterior motive related to the "giver" wanting something back in return?

The whole purpose of becoming a monk is to give up worldly possessions, meditate, and pray for enlightenment. I see most novices with cell phones and buying "crap" food. I know of many instances where the "charity" given to a temple has nothing to do selflessness and everything to do with selfishness. It's mostly about what can I get in return, this life or the next. And that, is not charity.

If I am wrong, please enlighten me as to the reasons Lao people give to a Temple and not to the poor villagers. Becoming a monk is a choice. Being born poor in a village with no electricity, toilets or running water is not a choice I believe that any of these people have made. All the "charity" given to the Temples would have a better ROI "return on investment" (if you don't know what it stands for) being used for education, health and investment in the villages for the poor.

Why? Because Temples are a sink hole. Money goes in and does nothing to help society as a whole, except making someone think their business is making money because of their "charity", or will heal a sick family member, or have a monk "bless" a new car or house, for good luck. Investing in other Lao communities will raise everybody's standard of living. And that, my boy, is what capitalism is all about.

Want to call me a commie. You should get a dictionary, economics text, or encyclopedia out and do a little homework. Then you might understand the difference.

Oh i had another question for ya . How did you meet your wife ? Half way around the world. hmmm Undecided  By any chance
you were taking on those sex tour guide ? The only white
people i know that go to those neck of the wood is to look
for a good time. Hey i don't judge though as long she not a
little girl or boy. But seriously i saw hundred if not thousand
of white men looking to get off with young chics. More power to ya , travel thousands of mile for a peace of ass.
Couldn't get any in the homeland ? all good.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #32 - 27th Jan, 2014 at 11:56am

TexasCowboy wrote on 26th Jan, 2014 at 10:46pm:
The Buddhist monks preserve the culture and provide education for the people. Today, I was at the VN temple and the youth practiced Chinese dancing in preparation for the new year. I'm not going to let some ignorant Westerner pass judgment when they don't even understand the culture. Yes, people donate to the temple to accrue karma.But also the temple provides for the people and the temples are generally worthy of respect. I will challenge anyone to a muay thai match who says they don't like the Buddhist temples. I'm currently in Pakse and I will provide my phone number if you are interested in fighting. I won't stand for some punks insulting a 2000+ year old religion and I will gladly fight anyone who insults Buddhism. If anyone else wants to speak a word against Buddhism, at least have the balls to challenge me.  CDN Lao Lover do you even live in Laos? If you do, where do you want to meet up and fight?

Hey Cowboy Buda teaching say no fight. The dude a loser
so he goes over there and flash some $$$ and his skin color.
His old lady spent a year in the state and she more western.
That say alot of his young lady .

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #33 - 27th Jan, 2014 at 12:03pm

Hey... Embarrassed I like them young too...but I myself am young (21 years old) I think that in 50 years I will still like young girls. Who likes old ladies?  Grin

Can't we all just get along? He made a stupid comment about Buddhism, yes it was very ignorant and wrong, but Buddha would say to forgive and forget.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #34 - 27th Jan, 2014 at 12:10pm

Yea, i think i went over board.  Lips Sealed

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #35 - 27th Jan, 2014 at 3:37pm

In your 50s, if rich, if poor, you always can like young girls. The problem is does any beauties like 50s poor? Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

I think in 50s, it is 50s matters.  Embarrassed

Buk Nut wrote on 27th Jan, 2014 at 12:03pm:
Hey... Embarrassed I like them young too...but I myself am young (21 years old) I think that in 50 years I will still like young girls. Who likes old ladies?  Grin

Can't we all just get along? He made a stupid comment about Buddhism, yes it was very ignorant and wrong, but Buddha would say to forgive and forget.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #36 - 28th Jan, 2014 at 5:27pm

Sorry for going over the top but as a foreign white man myself, nothing makes me more angry than a foreigner disrespecting the local culture and embarassing the rest of the Western community in SE Asia.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #37 - 29th Jan, 2014 at 2:09am

Its ok there are plenty of  westerners who make us look bad. (see Cambodia) Its pretty much unavoidable.

I am just curious, how would you react if an Asian person went to Europe and disrespected Christianity? To me, religion means nothing as long as we respect other people. Dont fool yourself into thinking that all Buddhists are good people. There have been monks who have committed crimes as soon as they got out of the temple, and dont forget about the temple in Thailand that stored theii aborted fetuses. Like I said, its up to us to do good. Religion helps keep the community together but only if we follow it. Lao people were not always Buddhist either. At one point they were animist

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #38 - 29th Jan, 2014 at 11:26pm

Buk Nut wrote on 29th Jan, 2014 at 2:09am:
Its ok there are plenty of  westerners who make us look bad. (see Cambodia) Its pretty much unavoidable.

I am just curious, how would you react if an Asian person went to Europe and disrespected Christianity? To me, religion means nothing as long as we respect other people. Dont fool yourself into thinking that all Buddhists are good people. There have
been monks who have committed crimes as soon as they got out of the temple, and dont forget about the temple in Thailand that stored theii aborted fetuses. Like I said, its up to us to do good. Religion helps keep the community together but only if we follow it. Lao people were not always Buddhist either. At one point they were animist

Dude you would hang from the highest tree they can find.
Look what they did to the black back in the 60. They are
Christian to,but their skin color is black.

View Profile  
IP Logged

kevin RoadRace
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Under a Rock!
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #39 - 30th Jan, 2014 at 1:43am

This thread has gone out of control.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #40 - 30th Jan, 2014 at 4:37am

OK, my point is that religion is irrelevant as long as we respect other people.

About the poor people in that picture, how do you know that they aren't happy? Some of the rural people actually have enough to eat.

People just want to see them living in urbanized areas because that is what the capitalist pigs have taught us to believe is "prosperity." You think a capitalist economy will make them happy?

Maybe they need a megamall to be built in their backyard so they can be happy? Then they can waste all their money on useless products that they did not need in the first place. Let's also get them speaking English and get rid of their native language as well, because English is the language of international business, and business is so great because it makes us want to buy more and more trash. (sarcasm)

Maybe we should set them up with a twitter and instagram account because social media is a basic human right and everyone must be on it.
« Last Edit: 31st Jan, 2014 at 2:13am by Buk Nut »  
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #41 - 30th Jan, 2014 at 5:10am

Whether we are rich or poor, we all have happy days that we wish would continue every day, and bad days that we like to forget. That is part of life.

Nevermind social media. For poor people, putting food on the table and have clothes to wear is at the forefront of their minds.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #42 - 30th Jan, 2014 at 5:21am

Of course, I was just being sarcastic.  Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #43 - 30th Jan, 2014 at 10:12pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 30th Jan, 2014 at 5:10am:
Whether we are rich or poor, we all have happy days that we wish would continue every day, and bad days that we like to forget. That is part of life.

Nevermind social media. For poor people, putting food on the table and have clothes to wear is at the forefront of their minds.

Exactly , being poor in a country like Laos is no joke.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #44 - 31st Jan, 2014 at 2:11am

Well, you know, I can  only help save one girl from poverty and help her live a better life, and she doesn't even have to repay me. The only pay I accept is "the bedroom pay"

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 79181 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 249027 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133247 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69939 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47552 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 74019 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57644 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45459 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 41058 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 34010 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum