Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
A picture is worth a thousand words (Read 98953 times)

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Re: A picture is worth a thousand words
Reply #75 - 10th Feb, 2014 at 11:25am

And look at Japanese society. The population is not growing and people are not getting married and having babies because they are too worried about modernization and their careers to start a family.

The population of Japan is expected to plummet. Meanwhile, Muslims such as Bangladeshis have so many kids that their country is full to the brim and spilling out into India and Myanmar. Like Buddha says, we must take the middle road..

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #76 - 10th Feb, 2014 at 11:28am

Buk Nut wrote on 10th Feb, 2014 at 11:25am:
And look at Japanese society. The population is not growing and people are not getting married and having babies because they are too worried about modernization and their careers to start a family.

The population of Japan is expected to plummet. Meanwhile, Muslims such as Bangladeshis have so many kids that their country is full to the brim and spilling out into India and Myanmar. Like Buddha says, we must take the middle road..

You are well inform.Right now the goverment trying to compensate them , well kinda luring them to produce little
Japanese.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #77 - 10th Feb, 2014 at 11:52am

I am Han Chinese, my company has branch in northern Laos. My company went there just after the opium eradication program in 2005. I am not working in Laos now, also not in Xi Shuan Banna. I am working in Kunming, the capital of Yunnan Province. Yet, the same company.

Buk Nut wrote on 10th Feb, 2014 at 11:12am:
Man I didn't say poverty was good I just said poverty stops minority groups from assimilating to the dominant culture which in turn lets them keep their identity. It's just a factor that keeps the groups seperate

Anyways, I only have 3 months in Laos, but I plan to spend some time with the hilltribes. I don't want it to be an entire month because I want to see the entire country as well. What part of Laos did you visit the hill tribes in and which tribe did you visit?

And you are a Han Chinese working in Lao am I correct PeterPan?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #78 - 10th Feb, 2014 at 11:57am

So can you tell me something? Were the hilltribes doing well before the opium eradication program? What kind of effects did the opium eradication program have on the hilltribes and how did it change their lifestyle?

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #79 - 10th Feb, 2014 at 12:03pm

My idea: before program, peaful and starving, after, starving and surviving. Now, living and chaotic. You go there to have a look. But, dong blame their laziness for their poverty. In my eyes, laziness is kind of living attitude. I dont prefer business with nothing done. I prefer laziness with something done. Grin

Buk Nut wrote on 10th Feb, 2014 at 11:57am:
So can you tell me something? Were the hilltribes doing well before the opium eradication program? What kind of effects did the opium eradication program have on the hilltribes and how did it change their lifestyle?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #80 - 11th Feb, 2014 at 4:12am

peterpan wrote on 10th Feb, 2014 at 12:03pm:
My idea: before program, peaful and starving, after, starving and surviving. Now, living and chaotic. You go there to have a look. But, dong blame their laziness for their poverty. In my eyes, laziness is kind of living attitude. I dont prefer business with nothing done. I prefer laziness with something done. Grin

The hilltribes survived for hundreds of years alone without the interference of national governments, so I don't think they were starving.
They only started getting malaria, starving and dying after they were forced down from the mountains. In the past they had practiced slash and burn agriculture which was probably bad for the environment though, so the government saw them as a pest.

Anyways, if they move down into society it will be just like Thailand where one's parents are hill people and the children only learn to speak the language of the schools and then forget about their parents and then just disappear into regular society. Moving them down is only gonna kill them off slowly, you could call it cultural genocide.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #81 - 11th Feb, 2014 at 11:26am

Buk Nut wrote on 11th Feb, 2014 at 4:12am:
peterpan wrote on 10th Feb, 2014 at 12:03pm:

The hilltribes survived for hundreds of years alone without the interference of national governments, so I don't think they were starving.
They only started getting malaria, starving and dying after they were forced down from the mountains. In the past they had practiced slash and burn agriculture which was probably bad for the environment though, so the government saw them as a pest.

Anyways, if they move down into society it will be just like Thailand where one's parents are hill people and the children only learn to speak the language of the schools and then forget about their parents and then just disappear into regular society. Moving them down is only gonna kill them off slowly, you could call it cultural genocide.

True , But alot of the newer generation of the tribes .Like
the ones that go work in the city to earn some money . Or the one that see how the outside world living.They just
want some change or easier life. I see both side to the argument ,but at the end .It all come down to what they want. I guess we really will not know unless we live in their
shoe.

View Profile  
IP Logged

grant
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Australia
Reply #82 - 25th Feb, 2014 at 5:52am

Perhaps the main point is that these people choose their own path and direction they want to take without interference from outside influences and are then free as birds to make their own decisions.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #83 - 3rd Mar, 2014 at 11:32am

True or they just tired living in the mountains.

View Profile  
IP Logged

grant

I love Laos!

Australia
Reply #84 - 9th Mar, 2014 at 6:08am

So what nationality are the hill people or Hmong, are they indigenous to Laos or another country? Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #85 - 10th Mar, 2014 at 10:47am

They like everywhere in the mountain of southeast Asia.Vietman ,Thailand they're everywhere.They have alot of childrens too.

View Profile  
IP Logged

grant

I love Laos!

Australia
Reply #86 - 12th Mar, 2014 at 9:29am

Sounds like they may be nomadic, moving from one place to another, nothing wrong with that though. Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #87 - 15th Mar, 2014 at 10:37am

The orginal nomad likt the one in MOngolia. i saw some of them having engouh of the life style.Alot of em moving to
the city for work.

View Profile  
IP Logged

grant

I love Laos!

Australia
Reply #88 - 17th Mar, 2014 at 4:58pm

I have reading about the Hmong on the internet and it seems that it is a battle for them just to survive.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Reply #89 - 18th Mar, 2014 at 10:33am

Are you talking about the one in the mountain of Laos ?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 36 285704 Last Post 31st Mar, 2024 at 1:47am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 85663 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 137558 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 74029 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 50842 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77081 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60456 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 47777 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43018 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 35491 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum