Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Food court in the Morning Market, Vientiane (Read 47799 times)

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Re: Food court in the Morning Market, Vientiane
Reply #15 - 11th Dec, 2014 at 1:46pm

Well it is, in the animist subsistence villages, ironically, as they arent even Buddhist.

There's a legend that says when Fa Ngum was transporting the emerald Buddha it wouldnt budge because he was an immoral man and tried to sleep with his noble's wives.

I dont think true Buddhist culture ever existed in Cambodia, Laos orThailand. They just adopted the religion for show to make allies with their neighbors and look good in front of the Indian merchants. Tai peoples were never even Buddhist anyway, they just stole it from Khmers.

There are indigenous people in Malaysia who practice a sufficiency lifestyle but they are constantly under attack from loggers and the govt.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #16 - 11th Dec, 2014 at 2:00pm

The emergence of a middle class can be a positive development. The middle class is essentially a class of moderately productive people with the skills necessary to generate resources to fulfill their basic biological needs as well as to pursue other interests and passions.

It is inevitable that Laos will open up to the rest of the world and it is inevitable that globalization will fundamentally change the culture. However, safeguards should be in place to promote the Buddhist ethical approach and way to life and the government should prevent the infiltration of foreign media and values into Lao society. Foreign media will only undermine the traditional values of Lao society and will only serve to poison the minds of the youth.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #17 - 11th Dec, 2014 at 2:00pm

I take side with Admin this time with this debate poped up by food court in Lao.

I dont take bike to office because of pollution. I dont ride car to office because of high parking fee.

Hi-So is not will not become a caste system I think. Even Hi-So people want it to be, it takes hundreds years or much more. Yet, caste system mentality stays in people's mind always.

I take 14 minutes subway, and 20 minutes walk to office.  Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #18 - 11th Dec, 2014 at 2:03pm

Quote:
If your parents owned a Lamborghini, I'm sure you would prefer to drive in it than ride a bicycle or catch a bus. You're not seeing things from other people's perspectives.

Quote:
I take 14 minutes subway, and 20 minutes walk to office.

You didn't take sides with the admin, you took sides with me, because you said you walk and take public transportation.

Read between the lines, Peter.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #19 - 11th Dec, 2014 at 2:11pm

No, I take side, but I dont express myself better. Because I dont have enough money to park a car. As Admin stated it would be OK to build a garage if someone owned a Lam.

As I dont have, I have to take alternative

Buk Nut wrote on 11th Dec, 2014 at 2:03pm:
Quote:
If your parents owned a Lamborghini, I'm sure you would prefer to drive in it than ride a bicycle or catch a bus. You're not seeing things from other people's perspectives.

Quote:
I take 14 minutes subway, and 20 minutes walk to office.

You didn't take sides with the admin, you took sides with me, because you said you walk and take public transportation.

Read between the lines, Peter.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #20 - 11th Dec, 2014 at 2:14pm

Hi-So is a part of biodiversity. Let it be, Lo-So the same.

We are animals, sophisticated, we need forest to live in, forest has many stratum of life.  Grin Grin Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #21 - 11th Dec, 2014 at 2:19pm

As to protect Laos cultural or traditional purity, it is just impossible under the current of globalization.  Society needs evolution not protection. Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #22 - 11th Dec, 2014 at 4:14pm

My foolish opinion is that Mak Nad's argument would benefit from a change of tone and a refrain from scathing criticism and personal attack. Words have the power to cause lasting internalized harm and we should think and speak in a productive and restrained manner. Criticism is justifiable in this context because there is much in Laos that deserves criticism and only speech and discussion can change opinion and behavior.

Although I disagree with Miss Administrator's point of view, I respect her talents and capability nonetheless.

Development is necessary to lift the masses out of poverty and to provide material support for a growing middle class. People mostly act in what they perceive as their own self-interest. Often times, however, their perception is misguided and founded upon ignorance. Therefore, it is imperative for the Lao PDR to guide its subjects, to instill in them excellent habits, and to provide them with correct information and to stop the contaminating influence of Thai media culture from corrupting the hearts and minds of the whole-hearted Lao people. Therefore, the Lao PDR is correct to require women working for the government to wear the traditional sinh. Therefore, the Lao PDR is correct to impose curfews and to censor foreign sources of media.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #23 - 11th Dec, 2014 at 4:30pm

Yes, personal attacks do damage one's own credibility.  Probably why Admin doesn't take me seriously.  It's too late now though,  I lost my temper because I was irritated at everyone's lack of understanding.  Nothing alive can br permanently preserved in its current state to be honest.  Everyone posting in this thread will expire someday as well.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #24 - 12th Dec, 2014 at 1:54am

Also I don't exactly believe that Laos has to open up to the world, Cuba seems to be doing just fine.  I just wish Laos could be more like Cuba. They are still traditionally Communist but have been doing well for themselves lately. I'm not sure whether they have Hi So people or not, but to me Hi So is more of an East Asian concept,  since westerners aren't so snobbish about it.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #25 - 20th Dec, 2014 at 11:15am

Buk Nut wrote on 12th Dec, 2014 at 1:54am:
Also I don't exactly believe that Laos has to open up to the world, Cuba seems to be doing just fine.  I just wish Laos could be more like Cuba. They are still traditionally Communist but have been doing well for themselves lately. I'm not sure whether they have Hi So people or not, but to me Hi So is more of an East Asian concept,  since westerners aren't so snobbish about it.

I would have to disagree with ya on this one my friend.
People risk there live on boats alot of time over loaded to get out of that country.Since the fall of communist their
source of aid for a long time .The average Cuban been
suffering.Food stamp society does not work. You open
up the country you get money rolling in .The one that work
hard will open up business and reinvest. Communism only
work for an ant farm.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #26 - 20th Dec, 2014 at 2:08pm

Well now food is harder to find in the bushes/forest because there's a higher population than before so everyone needs more land for farming, and more trees get cut down and less habitat for animals which were traditionally hunted for food. Back then all the tribes were warring and killed rival tribes for resources. This couldn't go on forever because eventually slash and burn would've decimated the forests until none are left.

Anyway, in Laos there are so many uneducated rural people that I think it will take maybe 100 years or more for it to reach Thailand's development status. Even if Laos becomes developed only a minority of wealthy people will benefit from it, while the majority remain impoverished. Thailand had universities since the early 1900s I think, or maybe before.

One of the reasons Thailand is so developed is because of its infrastructure, most rural areas have internet and schools, but even despite having access to school, lots of Thai kids drop out because Thai culture is just stupid and doesn't place importance on intelligence. That is why all the Chinese families have money and the Thai people are stuck doing the low wage jobs. I think if Laos ever gets as developed as Thailand, maybe in 50-100 years, then we will see the Vietnamese and Chinese making all the money and the Lao kids still getting pregnant at 12 years old. No offense to Lao people but the culture is similar to Thai culture and they mostly just want to get married and do the S-E-X but aren't interested in academic pursuits.

View Profile  
IP Logged

ba dac
God Member

I love Laos!

pakse
Gold Medal AwardLaotian Award
Reply #27 - 24th Dec, 2014 at 11:43am

You have a good point  Applause.But i also think that they
had help along the way.Just like the king that they have now. He devoted his life to helping the people of Thailand
rich or poor.It also help during the war the United State
use Thailand as a place to launch their airstrike.For a country to become successful the people must want change.
The one that's in charge of Laos is a bunch of corrupted
communist thugs.Yes i call em thugs. I really feel sorry for the poor in Laos. i can go on n on.But its pointless

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #28 - 25th Dec, 2014 at 10:11am

Yeah, the Siamese had their king to help them, the Laos had nobody.

That's one of the reasons why Laos is still underdeveloped, also because the leaders are conservative and don't let foreigners run wild in Laos.

In Thailand foreigners can go anywhere and do what they want.

In Laos they have a law that prohibits foreigners from having sex with Lao nationals. I don't care what Lao people say or any unhappy foreigners say, I think this is a good law. I actually think all foreign things should be completely banned from the country 100%.

The fact that Laos is underdeveloped might be bad for some Lao people, but it's good for people like me, who believes that the traditional culture of Laos is worth keeping alive.

Yes, Thailand is developed, but it doesn't have its identity anymore. There is nothing really "Thai" about Thailand anymore. Do you want that for Laos?

I'm not gonna criticize Thai people anymore, and I won't criticize westernized Lao people, but the leaders of the country should block all foreign languages and media and not allow foreigners to enter the country, that way there wouldn't be any westernized people in the first place.

For those who say the people were starving, I don't think so. There used to be a lot of frogs and animals to eat, until they brought in pesticides which is a foreign good. The pesticides kill all the animals and contaminate the land.

And for those who say there's not enough food for the population, back then women had several children, but not all of them survived. Nowadays thanks to modern medicine women can have as many children as they want and all of them can survive, which makes the population high.

Of course people should have medicine, though, but there should be no foreign films, foreign music, and foreign cultures attacking our beautiful country and causing its destruction.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #29 - 25th Dec, 2014 at 10:24am

And also for the sake of preserving the traditional Lao wife, who is a virgin. The woman must be a virgin only, and only wear Sinh.

If you go into the countryside in Laos every girl wears sinh, and I've talked to girls in the city of Laos, and I don't like them for the most part. I have had one girl tell me she only wants to wear pants and she uses internet and Facebook and other things. I don't see why a woman needs to use Facebook, it doesn't help them be a better wife.

I don't like those fancy women who want to eat at restaurants and go on dates. Most Lao girls in the countryside aren't those types, but now there are some due to development.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 36 285035 Last Post 31st Mar, 2024 at 1:47am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 85576 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 137484 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 73970 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 50786 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77031 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60397 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 47740 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 42993 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 35468 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum