Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Can I bring a Lao girl to Thailand with just a passport? (Read 43602 times)

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Re: Can I bring a Lao girl to Thailand with just a passport?
Reply #15 - 20th Jul, 2016 at 11:08pm

I am  single. But Lao women can potentially be the best wives. They can also potentially be the worst! As you're saying, westerners usually choose women with a checkered history because they don't understand Laos.

I did have a great time in Laos but if you do ever decide to live in Laos then you need to leave the country every once in awhile. I'd also abstain from drinking. Laos is so different from the rest of the world and I am happy that I got to see the remnants of authentic Asia before it was destroyed by globalism.
I might seem very negative in my posts but this is mostly because it is clear that the once great Laos will be/are the dumping ground of Vietnamese and Chinese.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #16 - 21st Jul, 2016 at 12:58am

I'm sure the dodos were great animals, but where are they now? only the cunning and vicious end up surviving, just the way of nature.

Lao women also tend to get very jealous and controlling of their husbands, so it goes both ways. Women of any nationality can be good wives, even Western women ( maybe not Swedish/Scandinavian women because they're maxed out on that propaganda.)

Anyway I'm single too, and hopefully I'll be single for a while. I don't much enjoy all the commitment and responsibility that comes with being in a relationship.

I think I give the westerners in Laos a bit more credit than those in Thailand, because the ones in Thailand pick the women at the very bottom of the barrel, the prehistoric hobbit looking black skinned women who have been rode by every Brit, Aussie and Yankee in Pattaya, and they dump their life savings on them and buy them plots of land in "Esarn," as the 90 year old, 500 lb white men call it.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #17 - 21st Jul, 2016 at 4:54am

I'd say the average Westerner in Laos is definitely better than what you'll see anywhere in Thailand or Cambodia. Most of the westerners in Laos are either living there because they married into the society or they are working for a NGO or are just tourists.

But there are too many intolerable westerners in Asia nowadays. Especially in Cambodia.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Reply #18 - 23rd Jul, 2016 at 1:14am

I haven't been to Cambodia in a while also my family discourages me from going there, saying Khmers are very violent and will kill you over a small conflict. Is there any truth to this? I take everything they say with a grain of salt but I'd still be a bit wary of going to Cambodia alone, as I've heard some horror stories.

Just wondering about the levels of poverty in Cambodia versus Laos as well. Which country seems more impoverished and destitute? I've heard about a lot of horrible stuff that goes on in Cambodia but that might just be because it's not tightly controlled like Laos.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #19 - 23rd Jul, 2016 at 11:09am

The major drawback in Cambodia is the number of dodgy tourists and hence the number of dodgy local hustlers. If you can get off the beaten track then you will find that the people are incredibly friendly. The people in the bus industry are horrible and you can tell that there are a lot of hardened criminals and drug addicts walking around the red light district. The simple solution is of course to avoid these areas or if you're interested in the seedy side of things like me, then just limit yourself to Coca Cola and avoid drinking alcohol or taking drugs. A lot of people have had their belongings stolen or their phones snatched. I haven't had any issues but I do take basic precautions and generally try to avoid walking around alone late at night. In other words, it can be dangerous but most of the dangers can easily be avoided.

The Khmer are some of the most tolerant and non-judgmental people around and it is actually often times to their detriment. It is generally difficult to really piss off a Khmer. But they will use violence if somebody is really upsetting them. Khmer are definitely more open and relaxed around foreigners and it's easy to shoot the breeze with them. There are also a number of clever Khmer who can hold an interesting conversation.

There are probably more extreme levels of poverty in Cambodia.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #20 - 23rd Jul, 2016 at 11:53pm

I'm interested in it all, man. That's the only way you can get the complete, unbiased picture of a country. Phnom Penh seems to be rather westernized and filthy, with a lot of the 'high Siamese' behavior, such as kids going to international schools who only know how to speak English and not even Khmer.

Anyway, how do you usually enter Cambodia? I've heard there are buses from Pakse to Steng Treung, or as the Lao call it, "Xiang Taeng."

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #21 - 25th Jul, 2016 at 2:48pm

They say  Khmer is hard to learn, English is easy to learn. They pay education, they pick up the profit making one. Grin

Buk Nut wrote on 23rd Jul, 2016 at 11:53pm:
I'm interested in it all, man. That's the only way you can get the complete, unbiased picture of a country. Phnom Penh seems to be rather westernized and filthy, with a lot of the 'high Siamese' behavior, such as kids going to international schools who only know how to speak English and not even Khmer.

Anyway, how do you usually enter Cambodia? I've heard there are buses from Pakse to Steng Treung, or as the Lao call it, "Xiang Taeng."

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #22 - 25th Jul, 2016 at 10:50pm

Lol yeah except Khmer is not actually hard to learn. I speak Thai and Lao and I could learn Khmer in just a couple months.

If you're Khmer and born and raised in Cambodia then you have no excuse for not being able to speak Khmer. I'm not talking about international students either, but Khmer students taken to an international school in Phnom Penh by their parents.

What would you say if Chinese parents only allowed their child to learn English and not Mandarin/Cantonese? How would they even function in China? Khmer should be no different.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #23 - 26th Jul, 2016 at 1:46pm

You can go from Pakse to Steung Treng but be sure to bring your dollars. a lot of people in banlung and stung treng can speak lao or at least some lao.

It takes more than a couple of months to speak Khmer. It's not difficult and it shares a lot of loanwords/cultural roots with thai and lao but it's still going to take awhile before you're reading a book. hell i can't really even read a book in khmer. it would probably take at least a year of dedicated study to get to that point.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #24 - 26th Jul, 2016 at 11:13pm

TexasCowboy wrote on 26th Jul, 2016 at 1:46pm:
You can go from Pakse to Steung Treng but be sure to bring your dollars. a lot of people in banlung and stung treng can speak lao or at least some lao.

It takes more than a couple of months to speak Khmer. It's not difficult and it shares a lot of loanwords/cultural roots with thai and lao but it's still going to take awhile before you're reading a book. hell i can't really even read a book in khmer. it would probably take at least a year of dedicated study to get to that point.

Can I use baht in Cambodia, or is it better to just use dollars? One of my Lao friends said only the old people in Stung Treng can speak Lao which kinda irritated me, because I know the young people speak it too, but they tend to not be able to read it like the older generation.

About me speaking Khmer, let me explain. I can't speak fluently, I can communicate basic ideas. I learned the alphabet so I could read an entire book phonetically but I won't know the meaning of a lot of words, so I have to look them up in a dictionary. I think I could be fluent in reading Khmer and speaking it with about 12 months in Cambodia or maybe a little more. I have a Khmer news app on my phone that I used to read the news on and I'd just look up every word I didn't understand, but I haven't had time lately.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #25 - 27th Jul, 2016 at 2:30am

With your background in Khmer, it won't be difficult to pick up the language. Even I struggle reading the news in Lao because there are no dictionary entries for many of the words. I am probably at the same level as you in Khmer and hope I will have more motivation to study it. I need to stop wasting time reading about politics and talking to stupid expats and start hitting the books more.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #26 - 27th Jul, 2016 at 3:17am

Phum Dictionaries (the Khmer version) for android is actually very good. There's a lot of very good mobile apps for learning Khmer, strangely.

Lao language learning material is lacking, and the dictionaries are incomplete. I think if you want to learn academic Lao you should just learn Thai because 90% of the terms are the same. It's just day to day stuff that differs between Lao and Thai, but as the terminology gets more advanced the overlaps increase substantially. If I didn't learn Lao growing up then I don't think I would've been able to with the limited resources on the internet and elsewhere.

One language I've found very difficult to learn has been Burmese. The grammar and such are actually very different from Thai, Lao and Khmer. Burmese, Lisu, Lahu and Akha actually share the same grammar if I'm not mistaken. Also there's a lack of resources. I plan to learn Burmese at a language school in Thailand.

Mandarin Chinese? Been studying it a bit, I have to say it's a piece of cake with the exception of all the characters you have to memorize. Resources are immense.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #27 - 27th Jul, 2016 at 3:49am

Chinese is easy but to acquire advanced level grasp of Chinese is arduous. The resources are great but it's just a daunting task because there is so much to learn.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Nut

The White man Marches
on

Reply #28 - 27th Jul, 2016 at 11:04am

So where's a good place/website to talk to expats? They often have valuable knowledge about business and certain laws

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy

I love Laos!

Reply #29 - 27th Jul, 2016 at 12:21pm

Expats for which country? And most expats posting on forums are full of crap!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78392 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248736 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133072 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69766 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47414 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73896 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57524 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45360 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40949 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33940 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum