Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Vientiane is a city grinding to a halt (Read 16877 times)

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Vientiane is a city grinding to a halt
19th Dec, 2016 at 6:15pm

Traffic in Vientiane is getting worse every year as more people can afford to buy cars, and there is no space on the streets to expand the roads.

Riding your motorbike or driving on the footpath is allowed in Laos as the photos below proves, and pedestrian crossings are always ignored by motorists, so if you're a pedestrian please be alert of vehicles at all times.

There's too many road traffic deaths and injuries every month, Vientiane has the worst road toll per capita in Asia, and one of the worst in the world.

I'm a city girl and I love Vientiane which is my birthplace and my home. There's a lot of natural beauty in Laos with rivers, waterfalls and beautiful rural scenery but nothing beats Vientiane for me anyway, regardless of the traffic problems.

What is your favorite city, town or village in Laos?

Traffic in Vientiane is getting worse

Please click on image to view a larger version

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Buk Nut
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

The White man Marches
on

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Re: Vientiane is a city grinding to a halt
Reply #1 - 22nd Dec, 2016 at 9:00am

totally, when i was there it was impossible to even cross the street. i had to wait like 30 minutes before there were no cars. they should build pedestrian bridges.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #2 - 22nd Dec, 2016 at 3:21pm

It costs money to build pedestrian bridges, which we don't have.

It's advisable to cross the road with many people to be safe, but then again sometimes there's no one else to cross the road with you, so you just have to wait for the right opportunity. 30 minutes seems too long though. Cars and motorbikes will slow down for you because they don't want to end up in jail.

IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #3 - 22nd Dec, 2016 at 3:43pm

Why do so many Lao people have money to buy cars but the government doesn't have money for basic infrastructure? At least there is more prosperity now in Laos.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #4 - 22nd Dec, 2016 at 4:29pm

They are probably taking out a car loan.

There are pedestrian crossing lights in Vientiane and many pedestrians don't use them because they are too lazy to walk there.

It's much quicker to cross the road to get from A to B so pedestrian bridges and crossing lights are not in high demand.

IP Logged

mitch
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #5 - 24th Dec, 2016 at 3:19pm

My favorite city in Laos? Savannakhet.  It's a small city, but I like it more than Vientiane.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Reply #6 - 4th Jan, 2017 at 6:57am

Capitalism at its worse.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78114 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248655 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133004 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69711 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47358 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73845 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57472 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45326 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40916 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33914 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum