Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mine has generated $600 million for Lao government (Read 13495 times)

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Mine has generated $600 million for Lao government
18th Apr, 2011 at 3:30am

Govt receives 2010 profit tax from Sepon mine
http://www.vientianetimes.org.la/FreeContent/free_Govt.htm

MMG LXML Sepon has made a 2010 profit tax payment of more than 738.7 billion kip (US$92 million) to the Lao government, according to a company press release.

The Finance Ministry's Tax Department Deputy Director General, Mr Lamngeun Tanlamany, received the payment from MMG LXML Sepon Director, Mr Saman Aneka, on March 29.

The Minmetals Group Lane Xang Minerals Ltd (MMG LXML) Sepon Operations' gold and copper mine is in Vilabouly district, Savannakhet province.

In addition to the profit tax payment, other sources of income for the government generated by MMG LXML Sepon in 2010 include royalties (from gold and copper sales) worth US$26.5 million, income tax payments of US$5 million and rental fees of US$45,000.

The total revenue paid to the government for 2010 was over 992.5 billion kip (US$123.6 million), the press release noted.

Additionally, the government received dividend payments for 2010 (from its 10 percent stake in the mine) totalling US$32.9 million.

Speaking at the handover ceremony, Mr Lamngeun praised MMG LXML Sepon as a good example for other companies, noting that it is the biggest single taxpayer in Laos.

The company delivered 2009 profit tax of more than 461.8 billion kip (US$57 million) to the Lao government, according to its website.

It also handed over a dividend payment of US$14.4 million to the Finance Ministry's State Enterprise Finance Management De-partment.

From 2003 (when the first Sepon gold was produced by the company) until the present, the mine has generated revenues for the government of more than 4.8 trillion kip (US$600 million), in the form of taxes and fees, the press release mentioned.

The government has been a shareholder in the project since June 30, 2007, when it exercised its option to acquire a 10 percent holding in LXML Sepon under the Minerals Exploration and Production Agreement.

The website mentioned that a contract between LXML and the government was made in 1993 when the two parties agreed to establish LXML Sepon to undertake mining exploration and project development.

Chinese Minmetals took over operation of most of the Australian company OZ Minerals' mines in June 2009.

The Sepon mine previously produced about 67,500 tonnes of copper per year, but expects about 83,000 tonnes to be produced this year.

The copper is exported mainly to Thailand and Vietnam and only a small quantity is supplied to two local companies.

The Sepon operation covers 1,250 square kilometres in Bualapha and Xaybuathong districts in Khammuan province and Vilabouly, Xepon and Atsaphone districts in Savannakhet. It is located about 40 km north of the town of Sepon in Savannakhet province.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Re: Mine has generated $600 million for Lao government
Reply #1 - 18th Apr, 2011 at 3:33am

Very nice.
Smiley Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #2 - 18th Apr, 2011 at 3:39am

Very nice indeed. Hmm maybe I should try go over there right now with my exploration geology background Smiley.

llX wrote on 18th Apr, 2011 at 3:33am:
Very nice.
Smiley Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #3 - 18th Apr, 2011 at 3:43am

Maybe not a bad idea before the minerals, gold, copper run out.
Wink

PEACE wrote on 18th Apr, 2011 at 3:39am:
Very nice indeed. Hmm maybe I should try go over there right now with my exploration geology background Smiley.

Very nice.
Smiley Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 18th Apr, 2011 at 4:06am

llX wrote on 18th Apr, 2011 at 3:43am:
Wink

Very nice.
Smiley Wink

Not likely to happen anytime soon. As long as Laos has mountains, there will be minerals locked up inside.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #5 - 18th Apr, 2011 at 5:29am

I didn't know that. Its good to hear because Laos is mostly mountain, and has many river for hydropower too.
Smiley Cool

Quote:
llX wrote on 18th Apr, 2011 at 3:43am:
Wink

Very nice.
Smiley Wink

Not likely to happen anytime soon. As long as Laos has mountains, there will be minerals locked up inside.

View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #6 - 18th Apr, 2011 at 1:37pm

Laos is still a 'virgin' territory.  There are many areas to discover at the surface and subsurface.  Very anxious to know what is underneath 'Plain of Jars' by running a electromagnetic, magnetic or shallow seismic survey over the area and will see what lies underneath.  Maybe ancient 'city of gold' lies Wink.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #7 - 18th Apr, 2011 at 3:09pm

Main mineral resources in Laos Tin, gold, gypsum, iron, coal, copper, potash, lead, limestone, antimony.
Shocked Wink
« Last Edit: 18th Apr, 2011 at 9:07pm by llX »  
View Profile  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 18th Apr, 2011 at 5:16pm

PEACE wrote on 18th Apr, 2011 at 1:37pm:
Laos is still a 'virgin' territory.  There are many areas to discover at the surface and subsurface.  Very anxious to know what is underneath 'Plain of Jars' by running a electromagnetic, magnetic or shallow seismic survey over the area and will see what lies underneath.  Maybe ancient 'city of gold' lies Wink.

I for one don't need to warn you to be careful around those areas. I'm not sure if (like mines) UXO's can be detonated by electromagnetic instruments.

IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #9 - 18th Apr, 2011 at 7:07pm

Very true about UXOs.  You do airborne remote sensing first to map out all UXO locations, remove them and then come in with these geophysical methodologies.

View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #10 - 18th Apr, 2011 at 7:09pm

Gold is not economical? Probably there as placer deposits on riverbed.

llX wrote on 18th Apr, 2011 at 3:09pm:
Main mineral resources in Laos Tin, gypsum, iron, coal, copper, potash, lead, limestone, antimony.
Shocked Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #11 - 18th Apr, 2011 at 9:22pm

Laos also had a lot of gold. To open mining company you might need connection and know somebody higher up. They say "It not what you know it's who you know."
Wink

PEACE wrote on 18th Apr, 2011 at 7:09pm:
Gold is not economical? Probably there as placer deposits on riverbed.

llX wrote on 18th Apr, 2011 at 3:09pm:
Main mineral resources in Laos Tin, gypsum, iron, coal, copper, potash, lead, limestone, antimony.
Shocked Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 15226 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 94006 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 297112 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143410 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 79259 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 55218 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 81035 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 63944 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50606 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45461 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum