Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Procedure for Falang Marriage (Read 30739 times)

chris jenkins
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Re: Procedure for Falang Marriage
Reply #15 - 9th Jul, 2011 at 10:22am

Ok Bubba i have a few more questions if you don't mind answering.
My fiancee sent me all her documents to go over to make sure we had everything organized.

Basically she has everything off this document http://photos.state.gov/libraries/adana/19452/pdfs/marriagelaos2010.pdf except documents 1, 5 and 7

And i have all on that document except 1, 6 and 11.

we will be doing a medical examination at the Australian Embassy in Vientiane in November so that will cover #5 for her and #6 for me once translated, as we need this for the Australian Immigration Dept application for her to come back to Australia as my wife once we are married.

#11 will be done at the same time when i go to Vientiane in November as will all my documents being Notarized by the Embassy and translated to Laos.

So that just leaves #7 and #1. We are finding it hard to find information on where to get the document covering # 1 for both of us, do you have any advice on 1? Where to get it, whats it called ect??

Also #7 for her is becoming an issue, we have asked her local Naiban and although he is a good friend of the family and has signed off on other documents for my fiancee he has no idea what this document is ( saying it doesn't come from him) or where to get it. Any advice??

Finally for today, once we have the above missing documents and all my papers are translated where is the first port of call to get the application started?? MOFA? Local Police?? I understand we have to do a Police Interview for a document called a Interview Report at some point in the process but i am not sure this is where we start the application process??

View Profile  
IP Logged

BubbaBlue
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I'd rather be eating Phở.

Reply #16 - 9th Jul, 2011 at 8:50pm

I don't recall where we got those ones. I think we got document #1 here:

Quote:
The marriage application forms for Lao citizens
who wish to marry foreigners are available in Provincial offices.
Lao citizens residing in Vientiane Capital can obtain the forms in
the Municipality Administration Office

# 7 I think we got it at this stage:

Quote:
District Administration Office: Present the complete
application. This office will issue a recommendation for marriage.

I have a Lao friend who was very helpful when I was running around getting documents, he was my contact point for all things Lao.  I'll ask him.

View Profile BubbaGrim  
IP Logged

chris jenkins
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #17 - 10th Jul, 2011 at 10:56am

Thanks mate much appreciated...hopefully we can get the ball rolling in the next few weeks.

View Profile  
IP Logged

BubbaBlue
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I'd rather be eating Phở.

Reply #18 - 11th Jul, 2011 at 5:20am

Okay my Lao friend says that the engagement certificate can be obtained Quote:
From Interior Ministry office in VT

Hope that helps.  Keep me updated on your progress.

View Profile BubbaGrim  
IP Logged

chuck
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #19 - 24th Aug, 2011 at 1:18pm

chris jenkins wrote on 24th Jun, 2011 at 7:22pm:
---- I'm assuming this is the last step in the application process and after the certificate is issued we can legally marry in my fiancee's village?? ----

Ok so where do i start???????

We are doing the paperwork ourselves as i spoke to a few agencies and legal firms in Laos and i really think it will be better to do it ourselves, we have the time and understand that this will be a tedious and drawn out process unless we are willing to slip some bribe money along the way. We are also thinking if it becomes to much to handle ourselves we can always get it done cheaper if we have done most of the leg work already.

So what is the order of doing the application??

Anyone have an idea on the costs involved (outside bribes) for any of the documents, certification and/or translations.

We have spoke about getting married in Thailand or Australia and registering it with the Laos embassy in Australia but have heard and read some horror stories about doing it this way ( also heard some successful ones as well ) and we want to do it the right way so as to not have any issues for her to go back and see her family and would prefer to ot have any issues myself going back to Laos at any point as well.

We are also in the process of doing the application to the Australian Immigration Dept as well but we will hold off on putting in the paperwork till we are further along or completed with the Laos side of things in case we run into complications. Thankfully the Australian side of things is much easier and less tedious, communication is also much easier.

I'm sorry for the long post and the many many questions, if there is anyone out there that can advise on parts of the above, or help me with the process of application it would be much appreciated. Its hard being back home in Australia with only limited opportunities to head over to Laos to handle the paperwork myself and although my fiancee has a decent level of English its very confusing to her sometimes explaining to her what is needed over the phone.

Khawp Jai Lai Lai

Yes, I registered my marriage in Thailand with the help of an agent specialized in doing this with a fee of about  2k USD. I rather do it this way since my wife will be staying with me in Malaysia for long term unless Chris is going to stay in Laos for long term then Chris may have to register in Laos according to the law there.

Chris, I suggest you check with your Embassy or Immigration Depart of Aust for the documents needed  if your wife is to follow you to Australia and stay there for long term.

I managed to register my marriage in Thailand, my government in Malaysia requires the Original copy of my Thai marriage cert(for verification) and a translated copy of the Cert to register my marriage in Malaysia.

I was lucky because the Nai Ban(village head) was nice. He allowed me to marry my wife in her village without the required paper. We had the ceremony "su kwan" in the village.

Anyway I have heard from a lot of people in the village that if I want to register my marriage in Laos there are agents charging like 3k-4k USD.

Even in Vientiane the van driver who drove me back and forth to my wife's village told me about the same fee for that to engage and agent and get things done.

So if you can afford it you might as well get someone to do it for you with a fee of such.

Good Luck. Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

chuck
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #20 - 24th Aug, 2011 at 1:43pm

Btw, I registered my marriage with the Marriage Department of my country in Malaysia but I didn't register with the Lao Embassy in Malaysia.

In order to get my wife the social visit permit all I needed was the marriage cert from Thailand and Malaysian marriage cert when I applied for the permit through Immigration Department.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 15107 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 93937 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 297061 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143368 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 79227 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 55189 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 81009 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 63919 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50589 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45448 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum