Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
If I become a missionary to Laos and start a pro-p (Read 21940 times)

Gushard
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

If I become a missionary to Laos and start a pro-p
12th Jul, 2011 at 9:38am

Hunted like an animal for openly being a Christian?
Will it be worse if I become a citizen of Laos or the U.S. ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------
mbt shoes men mbt women mbt

View Profile  
IP Logged

JSEA
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Bangkok
Re: If I become a missionary to Laos and start a pro-p
Reply #1 - 12th Jul, 2011 at 7:03pm

You should check the laws before asking here, it's pretty easy to find the answer to your question. Anyway, proselytizing is specifically banned in Laos. You can be whatever religion you want, but they don't want people coming over there as missionaries. I think it's a good law, saddens me to see people converted from Buddhism to Christianity since Christianity is such a hateful religion.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Laosnow
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #2 - 12th Jul, 2011 at 11:40pm

The Lao people have a religion (Buddhism) that is hundreds of years older and far more valuable and coherent than Christianity.

Leave them alone.

View Profile  
IP Logged

BubbaBlue
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I'd rather be eating Phở.

Reply #3 - 13th Jul, 2011 at 12:53am

I agree with Laosnow,  convert your neighbours and leave Lao alone.  The charm of Lao, at least in my opinion, is how untouched it is by western influence.  Come visit Lao, see the beauty of the country, its people, its food and its culture, but leave your bible at home.
« Last Edit: 13th Jul, 2011 at 4:11am by BubbaBlue »  
View Profile BubbaGrim  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #4 - 13th Jul, 2011 at 1:42pm

Agreed.
Smiley

JSEA wrote on 12th Jul, 2011 at 7:03pm:
You should check the laws before asking here, it's pretty easy to find the answer to your question. Anyway, proselytizing is specifically banned in Laos. You can be whatever religion you want, but they don't want people coming over there as missionaries. I think it's a good law, saddens me to see people converted from Buddhism to Christianity since Christianity is such a hateful religion.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Reply #5 - 13th Jul, 2011 at 1:43pm

People should have freedom to worship whatever they please. Government should stay out of it.
Shocked Huh

View Profile  
IP Logged

JSEA

I Love Laos!

Bangkok
Reply #6 - 13th Jul, 2011 at 6:39pm

llX wrote on 13th Jul, 2011 at 1:43pm:
People should have freedom to worship whatever they please. Government should stay out of it.
Shocked Huh

Worshiping is different than actively going to another country to try and convert people. Laos allows other religions to exist and be practiced there, they just don't want a bunch of dumbass missionaries moving over there to convert people like has happened in so many other countries. I think it's an acceptable law since it helps preserve the culture, and if people are interested in another religion they can check it out for themselves, and everyone else can live their lives without having religious nuts trying to shove religion down their throats.

One reason I like Buddhism, I've never had a Buddhist try to convert me, or argue that evolution doesn't make sense.

View Profile  
IP Logged

hankido
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 13th Jul, 2011 at 8:35pm

There's already freedom of religion in Laos. There's of course temples, churches and at least one mosque in Vientiane that I know of.

IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #8 - 14th Jul, 2011 at 12:18am

Buddhism should be the only universal religion in Laos and this is coming from an 80% Lutheran and 20% Buddhist Wink.  Too many theologic viewpoints will create conflicts/tensions amongst the people in the country.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #9 - 16th Jul, 2011 at 12:18am

If Laos already have freedom of religion government should just leave Christian alone. I don't see anything wrong with Christians try to convert people. I like their charity work helping the poor around the world.
Wink Smiley

Quote:
There's already freedom of religion in Laos. There's of course temples, churches and at least one mosque in Vientiane that I know of.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #10 - 16th Jul, 2011 at 12:22am

All the religion are the same, just called different name in different part of the world. They all used the Ten Commandments. Don't steal, don't kill and so on.
Wink Smiley

PEACE wrote on 14th Jul, 2011 at 12:18am:
Buddhism should be the only universal religion in Laos and this is coming from an 80% Lutheran and 20% Buddhist Wink.  Too many theologic viewpoints will create conflicts/tensions amongst the people in the country. 

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #11 - 16th Jul, 2011 at 12:25am

I don't see anything wrong with missionary trying to convert people, and spread Christianity around the world. Religion is good. It teach us to better ourselves and be kind to other.
Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #12 - 16th Jul, 2011 at 9:37am

Very agree to have beliefs.   However going to another country and telling them that Christiantiy is better than what they are believing in is not right.   llX wrote on 16th Jul, 2011 at 12:25am:
I don't see anything wrong with missionary trying to convert people, and spread Christianity around the world. Religion is good. It teach us to better ourselves and be kind to other.
Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #13 - 16th Jul, 2011 at 11:46am

Religion can say whatever, but its up to people to decide what they want to worship or beliefs. I like my freedom of speech and still don't see anything wrong if Christian say their religion is better then other. I don't see any harm. Don't government have better thing to do then prosecute and oppressed the people.
Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

JSEA

I Love Laos!

Bangkok
Reply #14 - 17th Jul, 2011 at 12:33pm

The problem is religion gives people too many easy excuses to hate people, tons of Christians think being gay is wrong, Catholics are told not to use condoms because it's a sin (even spanking the monkey is a sin), the Qu'ran has specific passages in it describing what non-combatants can do to help holy soldiers during a jihad (basically house, feed, supply soldiers who are out killing people who don't believe in their religion). A lot of people will say "oh well that was thousands of years ago, it doesn't count today". Ok...so why the phuck does the rest of the bs count today? It's all from thousands of years ago, and crazier people can use all the bs to justify hating/killing others.

For the most part Buddhism doesn't seem to encourage this, when  Buddhists kill each other it's usually because of something completely unrelated (like who should be the next PM).

I can't believe you'd actually accept missionaries going over to Laos and destroying the culture with their bullshit. Sounds to me like you must have been raised by one of the many missionary families that took in Lao refugees back in the day. Think about it, are people really good if they're just helping you in order to convert you to their religion?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 36 284615 Last Post 31st Mar, 2024 at 1:47am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 85517 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 137439 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 73930 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 50749 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 76999 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60371 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 47715 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 42976 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 35455 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum