Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
This why absolute power corrupt. (Read 14799 times)

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
This why absolute power corrupt.
29th Apr, 2012 at 3:49am

Power really does corrupt as scientists claim it's as addictive as cocaine

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2136547/Power-really-does-corrupt-scient...

More than a hundred years after noted historian Baron John Acton coined the phrase 'power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely' scientists claim the saying is biologically true.

The feeling of power has been found to have a similar effect on the brain to cocaine by increasing the levels of testosterone and its by-product 3-androstanediol in both men and women.

This in turn leads to raised levels of dopamine, the brain’s reward system called the nucleus accumbens, which can be very addictive. 

Addictive: Scientists have found power has the same effect on the brain as cocaine
Cocaine works in a similar way, which can have varied effects from increasing alertness, confidence, energy, feelings of well-being and euphoria, but also anxiety, paranoia and restlessness.

Power has almost identical effects to cocaine and too much of it can produce too much dopamine leading to more negative effects such as arrogance and impatience.

The claims by Dr Ian Robertson may go some way to explain the outlandish and impulsive behaviour of city fatcats, tycoons and celebrities.
Writing in the Daily Telegraph today, he said: 'Baboons low down in the dominance hierarchy have lower levels of dopamine in key brain areas, but if they get ‘promoted’ to a higher position, then dopamine rises accordingly.

'This makes them more aggressive and sexually active, and in humans similar changes happen when people are given power.
'Conversely, demotion in a hierarchy decreases dopamine levels, increases stress and reduces cognitive function.'

He added that power has also been found to make people smarter because dopamine improves the functioning of the brain’s frontal lobes.

Submissiveness and dominance also give similar effects through the same reward circuits of the brain as power and cocaine.
MOST READ NEWS

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2136547/Power-really-does-corrupt-scient...

View Profile  
IP Logged

HAIR
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Poland
Re: This why absolute power corrupt.
Reply #1 - 30th Apr, 2012 at 8:14pm

My dopamine level is still high and I think I can can be a 'good' dictator  Wink!

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Reply #2 - 1st May, 2012 at 6:42am

Oh yeah. Money and power. Muammar Gaddafi for example was a dictators for about 33 year before they took him out.

View Profile  
IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #3 - 1st May, 2012 at 6:27pm

Seriously though and I truely  believe any individual can be a good dictator.  Elections and re-elections are just a waist of time and money.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #4 - 2nd May, 2012 at 7:57am

Throughout history. How many good dictators do we know out there? I know the one that run Singapore is doing a good jobs. Beside that I don't know.

View Profile  
IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #5 - 2nd May, 2012 at 8:12pm

There you go Grin!

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #6 - 3rd May, 2012 at 7:58am

You can called Sigapore one political party system. Same political party is in power since 1963. PAP-People Action Party.

View Profile  
IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #7 - 3rd May, 2012 at 9:04pm

Well they are doing well and I hope they do not change the system in the future.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #8 - 4th May, 2012 at 7:20am

If they're doing a good jobs running the country like that, doesn't matter if they're dictators, capitalist or Communist. People will keep voting them to be in power.

China is sending some of their official to study in Singapore on how to run the country. I think some young Lao government officials also does that too, but I'm not 100% sure.

View Profile  
IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #9 - 4th May, 2012 at 7:50pm

Grin Grin Grin Grin.  Is not Singapore was part of China before?

llX wrote on 4th May, 2012 at 7:20am:
If they're doing a good jobs running the country like that, doesn't matter if they're dictators, capitalist or Communist. People will keep voting them to be in power.

China is sending some of their official to study in Singapore on how to run the country. I think some young Lao government officials also does that too, but I'm not 100% sure.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #10 - 5th May, 2012 at 7:56am

Singapore is run by mainly ethnics Chinese. They were colony by the British and was part of Maylaysia.

View Profile  
IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #11 - 6th May, 2012 at 6:55pm

Are there statistics somewhere on Labour force in Laos?

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #12 - 8th May, 2012 at 4:27am

Not sure, but most foreign company bring their own work. Laos worker don't have the right skill they say. That's BS Sad cause you can teach people to do anything.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Aulii
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Reply #13 - 7th Jun, 2012 at 9:32am

llX wrote on 29th Apr, 2012 at 3:49am:
Submissiveness and dominance also give similar effects through the same reward circuits of the brain as power and cocaine.

I had to join to ask you this question! Is the article implying that being submissive is as good as being dominant, I am assuming it also makes you smarter?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 15498 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 94166 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 297237 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143532 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 79353 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 55294 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 81113 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 64003 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50664 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45501 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum