Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Laos, Vietnam disagreed Over Mekong Dam (Read 10761 times)

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Laos, Vietnam disagreed Over Mekong Dam
3rd Mar, 2011 at 8:43pm

Vietnam, Laos Split Over Mekong Dam
http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=54697

Critics in Vietnam see red over a 1,260-megawatt hydropower project planned by their smaller, poorer, land-locked neighbour, Laos. They call it an environmental disaster.

Laos, however, wants to be the powerhouse of the region – to sell power to its neighbours and earn enough to help the poor, that is a third of its population of 5.8 million.

The dam in an idyllic hill setting in the north Laos province of Xayaburi (or Sayaboury), will be built by a Thai developer. Thailand is expected to buy 95 percent of its power to fuel its booming economy.

Environmentalists say the Xayaburi dam and 10 more such constructions planned on the Mekong’s mainstream, nine in Laos, make a Faustian bargain.

The dam will "reduce fresh water and silt downstream in Vietnam and devastate fishing among others," stated ‘Tuoi Tre’, the country’s largest circulating paper, published by the Communist Youth Organisation from Ho Chi Minh City (former Saigon) in the south.

The potential threat of the 3.5 billion dollar dam in the Mekong delta, Vietnam’s "biggest rice producing and fish farming area", has been highlighted by The Saigon Times too.

Vietnam’s government officials have raised their voice against the 32-metre- tall, 820-metre-wide dam. "If built, Laos’ Xayaburi dam will greatly affect Vietnam’s agriculture production and aquaculture," deputy minister of natural resources and environment Nguyen Thai Lai reportedly said in a meeting of the country’s Mekong River experts.

Such criticism goes against the spirit of a 1977 treaty of friendship and cooperation that binds them in a ‘special relationship’. The treaty followed the communist triumph against the U.S. in the Vietnam War.
« Last Edit: 3rd Mar, 2011 at 11:00pm by llX »  
View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Re: Laos, Vietnam disagree Over Mekong Dam
Reply #1 - 3rd Mar, 2011 at 8:46pm

Vietnam also didn't sign agreement to bans cluster bomb which Laos push for. LPDR need to stand up to Vietnam. Laos want to build more dam and become battery of ASEAN, develop and modernized the country. Go Laos. Wink Smiley Shocked
« Last Edit: 3rd Mar, 2011 at 10:59pm by llX »  
View Profile  
IP Logged

Lucina Cuffari
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Hello everyone
Reply #2 - 4th Mar, 2011 at 12:44am

I'm new in here, Hope to enjoy this forum.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Re: Hello everyone
Reply #3 - 4th Mar, 2011 at 7:56am

Lucina Cuffari wrote on 4th Mar, 2011 at 12:44am:

Welcome to Lao Pride forum.
Cool

View Profile  
IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Re: Laos, Vietnam disagreed Over Mekong Dam
Reply #4 - 7th Mar, 2011 at 12:14am

As someone who has lived for many years downstream from a major dam (Nam Ngum Dam) in Laos, I'd like to point out that critics of dam construction like to highlight only the disadvantages and omit the benefits to those downstream of the dams, i.e. control of disastrous flooding and the cleaner water due to much of the river's silt being trapped in the dam reservoir.

I'm of the opinion that the many dams being built in Laos right now offer far more benefits than disadvantages.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #5 - 7th Mar, 2011 at 6:30am

I supported the dams construction, and development in Laos. It'll bring needed revenue for Lao government. I think the benefits out weight the cost.
Cool

Quote:
As someone who has lived for many years downstream from a major dam (Nam Ngum Dam) in Laos, I'd like to point out that critics of dam construction like to highlight only the disadvantages and omit the benefits to those downstream of the dams, i.e. control of disastrous flooding and the cleaner water due to much of the river's silt being trapped in the dam reservoir.

I'm of the opinion that the many dams being built in Laos right now offer far more benefits than disadvantages.

View Profile  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Re: Hello everyone
Reply #6 - 8th Mar, 2011 at 7:55am

Lucina Cuffari wrote on 4th Mar, 2011 at 12:44am:

Yes, welcome.

IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 8th Mar, 2011 at 7:59am

llX wrote on 7th Mar, 2011 at 6:30am:
I supported the dams construction, and development in Laos. It'll bring needed revenue for Lao government. I think the benefits out weight the cost.
Cool

Quote:

I agree. Laos needs dams to fund the building of it's infrastructure. Once that is done, and the UXO's are removed, I believe that Laos', economy will practically explode onto the scene in SE Asia.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #8 - 8th Mar, 2011 at 7:49pm

Quote:
llX wrote on 7th Mar, 2011 at 6:30am:
Cool

Quote:

I agree. Laos needs dams to fund the building of it's infrastructure. Once that is done, and the UXO's are removed, I believe that Laos', economy will practically explode onto the scene in SE Asia.

Agreed. Laos economy is growing. Government is working on removing UXO from Laos with the help from international community. It'll take time even though the fund is short because of global economic slowdown.
Cool Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 6004 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 89312 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 293018 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 140252 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 76461 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 52879 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 78886 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 62071 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 49130 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44146 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum