Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Upcoming General Election in Laos (Read 6893 times)

Old Man
Ex Member

Upcoming General Election in Laos
17th Mar, 2011 at 2:09am

The General Election will take place on April 30.  190 candidates will compete for the 132 available seats in the National Assembly (parliament).

The General Election is held every 5 years.

All Lao people who are at least 18 are able to vote and, according to the Vientiane Times, anyone who is over the age of 21 has the right to be elected as a member of the National Assembly.

My question: "Before the actual election, how are the candidates who will stand and compete in the election selected?"

Hopefully, someone can provide me with a factual answer.

IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Re: Upcoming General Election in Laos
Reply #1 - 17th Mar, 2011 at 5:04am

I think only Communist party can votes. Not all Lao people. It would be nice if all Lao citizens can elected their own government. Not Vietnam puppet.
Shocked Roll Eyes

View Profile  
IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 17th Mar, 2011 at 7:14am

llX wrote on 17th Mar, 2011 at 5:04am:
I think only Communist party can votes. Not all Lao people. It would be nice if all Lao citizens can elected their own government. Not Vietnam puppet.
Shocked Roll Eyes

I was hoping for an informed answer...............oh, well.

All Lao people over the age of 18 can vote - they don't have to be Communist Party members.  My question was, "How are the candidates selected prior to the election?" 

In the last National Assembly, there were some members who were not members of the Communist Party and there was at least one non-Communist in the Cabinet (the Minister of Justice, I believe). 

My understanding is that it is not necessary to be a Party member to stand for election, but I'm not entirely sure how the candidates are pre-selected so they can run for election in the first place. My current understanding is that prospective candidates are put forward on the basis of their community involvement and local respect - irrespective of whether they are Party members or not.

Still hoping for an informed answer.

IP Logged

NungOne
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #3 - 17th Mar, 2011 at 9:07am

National Assembly (NA) is place that comprise of the representative of population and all people from various sectors of the country. Not all members of NA are the representative of farmers or worker but also employers. The selection is easy, I think travelling to USA to be an exile is much more difficult. There may be the selection committee in many the office where the potential candidate are working on such as ministries, provincial department, private sectors... Surely, qualification and experience and one of the most important factors is merit. Ask what you can do for Laos, ask not what Laos can do for you.

View Profile  
IP Logged

chuck
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #4 - 17th Mar, 2011 at 9:40am

Quote:
The General Election will take place on April 30.  190 candidates will compete for the 132 available seats in the National Assembly (parliament).

The General Election is held every 5 years.

All Lao people who are at least 18 are able to vote and, according to the Vientiane Times, anyone who is over the age of 21 has the right to be elected as a member of the National Assembly.

My question: "Before the actual election, how are the candidates who will stand and compete in the election selected?"

Hopefully, someone can provide me with a factual answer.

Hey there,

How come my girlfriend told that the election will be held on 4th of april?

Huh

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #5 - 17th Mar, 2011 at 3:31pm

How can all Lao 18 year of age can votes? When Laos is a single Communist Party, military dictatorship country. I believe Laos constitution allow freedom of religion and expression, but when peaceful university student protest for democracy in 1999 they were all jail till now. Christians are oppressed.
Roll Eyes Huh
Quote:
llX wrote on 17th Mar, 2011 at 5:04am:
Shocked Roll Eyes

I was hoping for an informed answer...............oh, well.

All Lao people over the age of 18 can vote - they don't have to be Communist Party members.  My question was, "How are the candidates selected prior to the election?"  

In the last National Assembly, there were some members who were not members of the Communist Party and there was at least one non-Communist in the Cabinet (the Minister of Justice, I believe).  

My understanding is that it is not necessary to be a Party member to stand for election, but I'm not entirely sure how the candidates are pre-selected so they can run for election in the first place. My current understanding is that prospective candidates are put forward on the basis of their community involvement and local respect - irrespective of whether they are Party members or not.

Still hoping for an informed answer.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 18th Mar, 2011 at 2:35am

llX wrote on 17th Mar, 2011 at 3:31pm:
How can all Lao 18 year of age can votes? When Laos is a single Communist Party, military dictatorship country.

They register, then they go and choose the candidate they want to vote for.  Easy, as long as they are 18 or over.  

I can even vote myself due to my permanent residence status, and I certainly am not a member of the Communist Party.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 14173 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 93469 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 296651 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143072 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 78975 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 54963 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 80813 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 63744 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50454 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45333 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum