Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Laos' elections (Read 12855 times)

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Laos' elections
30th Apr, 2011 at 12:37am

(KPL) An art performance to welcome the upcoming 7th general election of National Assembly and urge people aging above 18 to cast vote on 30 April, was held on Tuesday at the National Culture Hall.

The event was organised by Ministry of Information and Culture’s (MIC) Youths Service in cooperation with Neolife International Co., Ltd and L-VITA Co., Ltd.

“The art performance has also raised awareness on voters’ right nationwide through questionnaire,” said Secretary of Youth’s Executive Board Committee of MIC, Mr. Vansy Kuamua.

Taking part the event was Deputy Minister of Information and Culture, Dr. Bosengkham Vongdara, youths from MIC and other sector.

Well-known local singers such as Alouna and juggling performance from Lao National Circus Centre have entertained viewers nationwide via broadcast live.

The art performance was financed by Lao Telecom, Enterprise of Telecommunications Lao, Namkong Beer and Lao Brewery Company.

http://laovoices.com/2011/04/28/lao-people-urged-cast-vote-incoming-general-elec...

Hey Admin', bro, have you voted yet?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Re: Laos' elections
Reply #1 - 30th Apr, 2011 at 1:20am

Lao can votes now they just need multi political party.
Shocked

View Profile  
IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 30th Apr, 2011 at 4:28pm

I suddenly found out yesterday that as a 20 year holder of permanent resident status in Laos I was expected to vote in the Lao general election and my wife insisted that I vote.

So I did.  It was all very interesting and I'm working on a detailed account of how Lao elections work which I'll post on a right-wing American forum whose members believe Laos is an evil dictatorship where nobody is allowed to vote.  I believe they will be surprised to learn that there is actually a democratic process here - just not one based on the American model.

If you're interested, I'll post some of it here too.

Old Man

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #3 - 1st May, 2011 at 7:12am

Quote:
I suddenly found out yesterday that as a 20 year holder of permanent resident status in Laos I was expected to vote in the Lao general election and my wife insisted that I vote.

So I did.  It was all very interesting and I'm working on a detailed account of how Lao elections work which I'll post on a right-wing American forum whose members believe Laos is an evil dictatorship where nobody is allowed to vote.  I believe they will be surprised to learn that there is actually a democratic process here - just not one based on the American model.

Old Man

Please do. Smiley

Here's something in regards to Lao politics I have yet to fathom. Perhaps you can educate me Old Man:

What EXACTLY are the Lao public voting for? Obviously they (The Pathet Lao) all have the same agenda(s), right? They are a one party state....or whatever it is they are.

So, are you guys just voting in people who you think is worthy of a government salary?

Obviously it's not going to matter WHO gets to don the hardhats, because the blueprints have long since been drawn up, already pinned to parliament walls, and are just waitng for the tenderers to get the greenlight, so to speak. Laos' has already been prophecised, right? Huh

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #4 - 1st May, 2011 at 7:13am

Laos' future has already been prophecised.

I'm gonna start proofreading from now on. Grin

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 1st May, 2011 at 8:47am

Larb Dip wrote on 1st May, 2011 at 7:13am:
Laos' future has already been prophecised.

I'm gonna start proofreading from now on. Grin

Just read it again after you post it and use the MODIFY option it you want to correct something.

It's very easy.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #6 - 1st May, 2011 at 5:13pm

There's pro-Vietnam and pro-China among Laos leader they has their own agenda. Any voting in Laos is a good start. Remember Singapore is also one party system.
Wink

Larb Dip wrote on 1st May, 2011 at 7:12am:
Quote:

So I did.  It was all very interesting and I'm working on a detailed account of how Lao elections work which I'll post on a right-wing American forum whose members believe Laos is an evil dictatorship where nobody is allowed to vote.  I believe they will be surprised to learn that there is actually a democratic process here - just not one based on the American model.

Old Man

Please do. Smiley

Here's something in regards to Lao politics I have yet to fathom. Perhaps you can educate me Old Man:

What EXACTLY are the Lao public voting for? Obviously they (The Pathet Lao) all have the same agenda(s), right? They are a one party state....or whatever it is they are.

So, are you guys just voting in people who you think is worthy of a government salary?

Obviously it's not going to matter WHO gets to don the hardhats, because the blueprints have long since been drawn up, already pinned to parliament walls, and are just waitng for the tenderers to get the greenlight, so to speak. Laos' has already been prophecised, right? Huh

View Profile  
IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Reply #7 - 1st May, 2011 at 9:34pm

Laos has just held its general election to the National Assembly (parliament).

Like several Arab countries which are also transitioning (but more chaotically), the resulting democracies are unlikely to be US-style democracies and some may not have multiple competing parties.  But since no country has what could be called a fully democratic system and there are about as many varieties of voting systems as there are democracies, this should not necessarily be condemned.  Remember that George Washington himself was strongly against the formation of political parties believing that representatives would put the interests of their parties above the interests of the country. 

Laos has no competing political parties as such.  However, there are competing individuals.   For someone to stand for election, they do not necessarily have to be members of the Communist Party, but they do have to be nominated by one of several different organizations within the country, mainly the four mass organisations:

• Regional branches of the Lao Front for National Construction
  • Regional branches of the Lao Women’s Union
  • Regional Branches of the Lao Trades Unions
  • Regional branches of the Lao Youth Organisation (despite the name, it’s a movement largely of adults)

The elected members of the National Assembly then select the members of the cabinet, the Prime Minister and President.  It is possible that those four main mass organizations  will eventually evolve into distinct political parties with differing platforms – something that I’ve been told is already happening to some extent.  The Lao Women’s Union for example is not a peripheral powerless movement – it has substantial political power, cabinet members and at least one former deputy Prime Minister.

The candidates for the National Assembly have been campaigning in their districts and holding town hall meetings in the villages of their districts.  The educational records and employment history of each candidate have been put up on noticeboards and published in the Lao and English newspapers.  Surveying the lists of candidates in the various districts, one notes that they are entirely ‘public servants’, mostly with advanced education and many years in responsible positions in their communities.  There are no celebrities or businesspeople, etc.

I took this photo last week of a notice displaying the details of candidates standing in the district where I live. 

voting-in-lao-elections-1.jpg

My permanent resident status in Laos allows me to vote in the General Election.   The right extends to all men and women over the age of 18. 

voting-in-lao-elections-2.jpg

I voted for the Lao Women's Union candidates with the higher levels of education and several years of responsible public service and avoided those with military uniforms and chests full of medals.

voting-in-lao-elections-3.jpg

My wife mainly selected younger candidates who had studied and worked outside of Laos.

voting-in-lao-elections-4.jpg

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #8 - 2nd May, 2011 at 1:30am

"My wife mainly selected younger candidates who had studied and worked outside of Laos."

Old Man I like your choices of candidates. "But real power remains with the ruling Politburo and Central Committee already chosen in March at a five-yearly Congress by fewer than 600 party members, analysts say.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110430/wl_asia_afp/laospoliticsvote_20110430060236
Smiley
« Last Edit: 2nd May, 2011 at 4:41am by llX »  
View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #9 - 2nd May, 2011 at 10:59pm

When are the results made public?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 4777 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 88647 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 292513 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 139835 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 76096 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 52558 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 78592 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 61810 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 48921 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43955 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum