Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mainland China university to open Laos branch (Read 12467 times)

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Mainland China university to open Laos branch
9th May, 2011 at 2:52am

Mainland China university to open Laos branch in 2012
Related

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/09/education/09iht-educBrief.html?_r=1

Dressing the Wounds of Government Cuts (May 9, 2011)
China has long been a favored destination for foreign universities seeking to export their programs, but now a Chinese university is preparing to open the mainland’s first overseas campus.

Soochow University, in Jiangsu Province, is expected to open an affiliate in Laos next year, according to People’s Daily, the official newspaper of the Communist Party.

The report, posted late last month, called Soochow the first foreign education institution to receive approval from the Laotian government to offer undergraduate and graduate programs. The university plans to provide courses for about 5,000 students in Laos, a country of more than six million where only 13 percent of the undergraduate-age population is enrolled in higher education, according to 2008 Unesco statistics.

A university official quoted in the report said Soochow would offer 12 majors, including Chinese language and literature, economy and trade, and engineering. Soochow University, which has about 50,000 students in China, expects the Laos campus to begin enrolling students next year, the report said.

While the university will initially send Chinese academics to the Laos campus, it plans to gradually employ more local teachers. The campus is estimated to cost $25 million.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Re: Mainland China university to open Laos branch
Reply #1 - 9th May, 2011 at 4:07am

Who ever invested and support Laos development get a thumb up. Thank you China.
Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #2 - 9th May, 2011 at 4:09am

Kudos to China Smiley.  'We all live under the same sun and walk under the same moon'.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #3 - 9th May, 2011 at 4:58am

Good news for Laos. I didn't know in Laos only 13 percent of the undergraduate-age population is enrolled in higher education. Not good.
Smiley Undecided

View Profile  
IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Reply #4 - 9th May, 2011 at 5:38am

llX wrote on 9th May, 2011 at 4:58am:
Good news for Laos. I didn't know in Laos only 13 percent of the undergraduate-age population is enrolled in higher education. Not good.
Smiley Undecided

13%........Not good?

Seems quite high to me.

Certainly much higher than when I was undergraduate age in England.

Anyway, the way things are going it's going to get much higher.

Old Man

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #5 - 9th May, 2011 at 9:15pm

Agreed Old Man thing are getting better in Laos. I'll take time. I'm just surprise about the 13% because I never know before.
Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #6 - 10th May, 2011 at 6:17am

In the US alone, I know in the past years some Institutes or Colleges affiliated to a University has been very successful creating this program option to students.  Today, the business is booming.  I see more and more Universities getting involved.  Basically, students don't  have to travel long distance to an actual campus anymore to get their education or degree (depending on the location availability).

I'm glad Laos accepted this offer from China.  This without a doubt be a boost to the education level.  I'm sure in the future other countries will bring in their affiliates as well, once, they see the success result. Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #7 - 14th May, 2011 at 11:37pm

Agreed.
Wink

OMD wrote on 10th May, 2011 at 6:17am:
In the US alone, I know in the past years some Institutes or Colleges affiliated to a University has been very successful creating this program option to students.  Today, the business is booming.  I see more and more Universities getting involved.  Basically, students don't  have to travel long distance to an actual campus anymore to get their education or degree (depending on the location availability).

I'm glad Laos accepted this offer from China.  This without a doubt be a boost to the education level.  I'm sure in the future other countries will bring in their affiliates as well, once, they see the success result. Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78683 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248856 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133136 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69840 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47465 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73946 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57572 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45403 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 41001 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33971 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum