Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Japan pledging $7.4 billion for Mekong region. (Read 13253 times)

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Japan pledging $7.4 billion for Mekong region.
23rd Apr, 2012 at 12:15am

http://www.bangkokpost.com/news/local/289835/pm-yingluck-hails-japan-7-4bn-aid-t...

PM Yingluck hails Japan's $7.4bn aid to Mekong five
Infrastructure gets huge cash boost

Published: 22/04/2012 at 01:35 AMOnline news: Local News

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has applauded the Japanese government for pledging US$7.4 billion (227 billion baht) in aid to help develop infrastructure and transport in five Mekong region countries including Thailand.

LET'S SHAKE ON IT: Japan's Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda, third left, shakes hands with the leaders of the Mekong region nations, from left, Cambodia's PM Hun Sen, Laos' PM Thongsing Thammavong, Myanmar's President Thein Sein, Thailand's PM Yingluck Shinawatra and Vietnam's PM Nguyen Tan Dung at the Japan-Mekong Summit in Tokyo Saturday. (Reuters Photo)

Infrastructure and the transport network are the foundation for the development of the Mekong region, Ms Yingluck said in her keynote speech at the fourth Japan-Mekong Summit in Tokyo Saturday.

"It will help bring development to remote areas, uplifting living conditions of people in the sub-region and narrowing the economic and development gaps among Asean countries," she said.

Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihiko Noda, who met the leaders of Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar and Vietnam Saturday, pledged to provide 600 billion yen (227.32 billion baht) in development aid to the five nations until 2015.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Re: Japan pledging $7.4 billion for Mekong region.
Reply #1 - 23rd Apr, 2012 at 12:27am

Thank you Japanese government.

View Profile  
IP Logged

HAIR
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #2 - 23rd Apr, 2012 at 8:22pm

Cool Smiley! What phase of construction has been accomplish so far on the proposed ( about a couple years ago) major highway/road system tha supposively will cut through central Laos? Anyone?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #3 - 24th Apr, 2012 at 5:49am

You talking about the highspeed railway? The one that will never happen cause no one has any money to put where their mouth is. They are living on hopes and dreams again.

"expressed a strong belief that the project will evolve within the next five years"

No free trade agreements yet and you want to spend 7 billion already on what if's?

"will help boost trade between China and Asean after free trade agreements are set up with Asean member countries"

I don't really like these words "will establish" and "seek a loan". Those are pretty huge speculations at this point but I'm sure someone's got 7 billion dollars just sitting around that they can lend them and never see that money back.

"Officials said Laos and China will establish a joint venture partnership to build and operate the railway, with the joint venture entity to seek a loan from the Chinese government to build the railway."

http://samakomlao.blogspot.com/2012/04/planned-laos-china-railway-back-on.html

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #4 - 24th Apr, 2012 at 8:54pm

I was talking abouth the west-east trending regular highway that was projected through central part of Laos as a major trade route from Thailand-Laos-Vietnam. 

I read somewhere that there was a dispute of something concerning the highspeed railway and this is why there is a delay to start.  Eventually this highway system will  eventually come into existence in the future because Laos is in the epicenter of ASEAN.

“My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world Smiley.â€
― Jack Layton

Buk Hoo Kee wrote on 24th Apr, 2012 at 5:49am:
You talking about the highspeed railway? The one that will never happen cause no one has any money to put where their mouth is. They are living on hopes and dreams again.

"expressed a strong belief that the project will evolve within the next five years"

No free trade agreements yet and you want to spend 7 billion already on what if's?

"will help boost trade between China and Asean after free trade agreements are set up with Asean member countries"

I don't really like these words "will establish" and "seek a loan". Those are pretty huge speculations at this point but I'm sure someone's got 7 billion dollars just sitting around that they can lend them and never see that money back.

"Officials said Laos and China will establish a joint venture partnership to build and operate the railway, with the joint venture entity to seek a loan from the Chinese government to build the railway."

http://samakomlao.blogspot.com/2012/04/planned-laos-china-railway-back-on.html

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #5 - 26th Apr, 2012 at 1:33pm

They're working on it. Will take time. Budget and fund is parts of the issue.

HAIR wrote on 23rd Apr, 2012 at 8:22pm:
Cool Smiley! What phase of construction has been accomplish so far on the proposed ( about a couple years ago) major highway/road system tha supposively will cut through central Laos? Anyone?

View Profile  
IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #6 - 26th Apr, 2012 at 8:21pm

I see.  Still dumbfounded but is there paved road that goes from Tahiland through Laos and then into Vietnam?

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #7 - 27th Apr, 2012 at 6:41am

Was reading an article on VientianeTime. Road to Vietnam is on going an delay because of weather and fund. It 40% complete I believe.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #8 - 27th Apr, 2012 at 6:51am

Laos Vietnam road link.

http://www.asianewsnet.net/home/news.php?id=29898

HAIR wrote on 26th Apr, 2012 at 8:21pm:
I see.  Still dumbfounded but is there paved road that goes from Tahiland through Laos and then into Vietnam?

View Profile  
IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #9 - 27th Apr, 2012 at 7:40pm

Thanks for the link Bro.  No map from the link?  Only cost $44million (USD) to build this 212km(132miles) stretch of pavement? I am hoping this is not the total amount to build.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #10 - 28th Apr, 2012 at 7:49am

Very pricy. Cost also go up every year because of inflation. Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

HAIR

I love Laos!

Poland
Reply #11 - 30th Apr, 2012 at 8:38pm

Yes.  Looking forward to drive through Laos on this road and ending up on the beaches of Vietnam!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 6325 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 89484 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 293147 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 140352 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 76550 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 52964 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 78967 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 62143 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 49194 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44198 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum