Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Choose vocational education or face unemployment (Read 13797 times)

Beef Cake
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Choose vocational education or face unemployment
3rd Oct, 2013 at 8:30pm

Most of parents in Laos want their children to study at the highest level possible. For students living in a city, a bachelor's degree is seen as a pre-requisite for a good job and, even then, many strive for a master's or aim even higher.

Most people want to continue with academic studies after secondary school, or undertake vocational training. There's a widely held belief that the lower your qualifications, the harder it can be to find work and the less you'll be paid.

It's not an unfounded notion a look at the job advertisements in newspapers shows many employers are seeking candidates with at least a bachelor's degree. It means more and more people are aiming for a university education.

But from this year, as part of a push to improve the quality of higher education in Laos, the government has temporarily banned all private institutions from offering bachelor's degrees only the national, state-run universities will offer undergraduate places.

More than 44,400 students passed their final secondary school exams this year, but only about 10,000 will be accepted at the five universities in Laos.

Needless to say, competition is hot and those who miss out will be forced to look at other options.

Students and parents are worried and well-off families are considering sending their children abroad to study.

But with so many students gunning for the higher-paid jobs requiring degrees, the chances of finding employment after university may not be as high as many think.

On the other hand, demand is already high and still growing for workers with the practical skills a vocational education can offer.

If you're set on a well-paid office job, a degree is necessary. But in the interest of economic growth, Laos needs people with a wide variety of practical skills.

Foreign investors coming to Laos will look at the local labour force and what it can provide before they decide to spend their money. Laos has a young population, which is vital for a strong labour force and attractive to foreign investors.

But while quantity is important, it's quality and specific skill sets that the country needs. Good labour management may be a key factor in boosting business growth across the nation.

Each year thousands of students graduate from colleges and universities with the same knowledge and qualifications to compete for a limited number of positions, leaving many unemployed.

Other subject areas, like those taught at vocational training institutes, have a massive job market but few interested students.

Vocational schools aren't perfect – the subjects provided sometimes don't match the current skills needed, and better communication between institutions and the private sector is needed.

Surveys need to be carried out on skill shortages and made public to allow students to make an educated decision on where they are likely to find work after completing their studies.

To encourage more people to consider a vocational education, measures could also be put in place to guarantee work for students after graduation.

http://www.asianewsnet.net/news-52254.html

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Re: Choose vocational education or face unemployment
Reply #1 - 3rd Oct, 2013 at 8:45pm

What industries are in Laos? Besides government, mining and tourism.

Ain't nothing wrong with vocational school.  To develop the country at a faster pace, Laos need more of them blue collar workforces.   

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #2 - 10th Oct, 2013 at 7:38am

4.4:1. that is hard, now here it is 2.5:1 to higher education. At my time, 6:1. I can feel their stress.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #3 - 12th Oct, 2013 at 10:58pm

Too many Lao boys and girls squandering their precious youth obtaining an education they'll never apply. Lao needs talented electricians and talented plumbers, not talented professors.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #4 - 18th Oct, 2013 at 4:54am

Plumbers and electricians need entertainments as well WinkLaughing my ass off Laughing out loud Laugh

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #5 - 20th Oct, 2013 at 8:29am

Let students and their families to make their own decisions.
Laos needs more universities.

View Profile  
IP Logged

TexasCowboy
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Outstanding Contribution AwardBest Content Award
Reply #6 - 21st Oct, 2013 at 5:49am

Laos needs higher quality universities, not more of them.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #7 - 21st Oct, 2013 at 10:33am

Let's build more universities. Recruiting overseas Laotians back to teach or do researches.  Grin

As I know, they send many Laotians to get higher education here. Very nice very polite.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #8 - 21st Oct, 2013 at 5:49pm

I do not think so.  Right now, the country needs more technical or vocational schools then universities.  I think the country needs more 'doers' than 'thinkers'.After the country is 'established' then build more universities to produce more 'thinkers' in society.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #9 - 27th Dec, 2013 at 9:34pm

If folks are certified from these vocational/technical schools, then their salaries will be relatively higher than.  Plus they can go to these schools during evenings while still obtaining reglular jobs during the day.  Unless if these Laotians are a bunch of drunks and are lazy? Laugh Laugh Laugh Laugh

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #10 - 28th Dec, 2013 at 2:31pm

During evenings, go to Beerlao, not schools.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #11 - 29th Dec, 2013 at 8:15pm

Serious though, jobs that do require mental and physical problem skills and have to be outside in high temperature conditions should be rewared with salaries equivalent to a college degree.  Those are hard jobs.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 78260 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 248699 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133029 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69741 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47380 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 73864 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57503 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45342 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 40928 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 33924 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum