Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Business in Laos (Read 57466 times)

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Re: Business in Laos
Reply #15 - 24th Mar, 2011 at 5:56am

I want to open dollars store in Laos. Where everything and anything you need cost $1. They have franchise in the US. You buy stuff from China and sell it in dollars store.
Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #16 - 24th Mar, 2011 at 5:59am

Brother, brother, brother.............what do you think all those 'puak Jeen' are doing in our beloved Laos right now? You really do make laugh some times! Grin
You might want to brainstorm a new business plan right away.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #17 - 24th Mar, 2011 at 2:02pm

I was thinking of a stand alone infrastructure on a 2 acre lot in central (downtown) Vientiane where the local communities are located and will $300k be enough.  With that idea in mind, it will cost $1.5m to build something like that in Houston.  Land price should be much more expensive in downtown.  Where is downtown Vientiane anyway?  To me Vientiane looked like a suburb right now.

llX wrote on 24th Mar, 2011 at 5:18am:
You can do a lot in Laos with $300k. Money talk.
Roll Eyes

View Profile  
IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Reply #18 - 24th Mar, 2011 at 10:05pm

Larb Dip wrote on 24th Mar, 2011 at 5:43am:
Admin Saovaluck wrote on 17th May, 2009 at 2:27am:
That's alot of money.

You can start a small business with $200 in Laos, but that's for small profit.

With $10,000, you can own a small restaurant or clothing shop.

What 'business' can be started from scratch with $200? I'll be on the first plane tomorrow! Kiss

I spent not too much more than $500 on building a Lao sauna business for my wife.  She opened it this month, and it's proving very popular with locals since there's nothing like it around here.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #19 - 25th Mar, 2011 at 12:03am

Give Jek, Chinese some competition. You have to do what you like and like what you do. We can compete with them.
Cheesy

Larb Dip wrote on 24th Mar, 2011 at 5:59am:
Brother, brother, brother.............what do you think all those 'puak Jeen' are doing in our beloved Laos right now? You really do make laugh some times! Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #20 - 25th Mar, 2011 at 3:03am

Actually that is a very good idea because manufactured products from China can come straight to Laos.  So transportation cost is much smaller comparing to products shipped from China to the US.  You can probably call it 'Fifty Cent' store and woud still be profitable.

llX wrote on 24th Mar, 2011 at 5:56am:
I want to open dollars store in Laos. Where everything and anything you need cost $1. They have franchise in the US. You buy stuff from China and sell it in dollars store.
Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #21 - 25th Mar, 2011 at 5:39am

llX wrote on 25th Mar, 2011 at 12:03am:
Give Jek, Chinese some competition. You have to do what you like and like what you do. We can compete with them.
Cheesy

You're damn right! We don't just need to compete, but rival with success. We don't want them running our economy as a Chinese monopoly board. Lao need to be represented in every field. Even more so where money is involved, especially in LAOS!

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #22 - 25th Mar, 2011 at 5:45am

Quote:
Larb Dip wrote on 24th Mar, 2011 at 5:43am:
Admin Saovaluck wrote on 17th May, 2009 at 2:27am:
That's alot of money.

You can start a small business with $200 in Laos, but that's for small profit.

With $10,000, you can own a small restaurant or clothing shop.

What 'business' can be started from scratch with $200? I'll be on the first plane tomorrow! Kiss

I spent not too much more than $500 on building a Lao sauna business for my wife.  She opened it this month, and it's proving very popular with locals since there's nothing like it around here.

This sounds like a sauna/BEAUTY SALON.

How much does your wife make?

What can I do with US$50,000?
I have ambitions on being a pioneer and am not interested in following the latest trends. What 'businesses' haven't been tapped into yet?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #23 - 25th Mar, 2011 at 6:03am

We can make Jek and keow run for their money. Whatever they can do Lao can do. One thing is Jek and keow can get loan and supported from their government to started business in other country.
Cool

Larb Dip wrote on 25th Mar, 2011 at 5:39am:
llX wrote on 25th Mar, 2011 at 12:03am:
Cheesy

You're damn right! We don't just need to compete, but rival with success. We don't want them running our economy as a Chinese monopoly board. Lao need to be represented in every field. Even more so where money is involved, especially in LAOS!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #24 - 25th Mar, 2011 at 6:16am

Since they ('puak jeen/Gaauw') already have a head start, I think now is the perfect time time to rush in dual citizenship. We can get loans too. I'm pretty sure the banks don't mind where their money is going. All they care about is being paid back in full, WITH interest. This is what we need: Laos being owned by Lao!!! and not 'puak jeen/Gaauw!!! Angry

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #25 - 25th Mar, 2011 at 6:55am

Lao can do well if there an opportunity. That's why Lao oversea are doing good in jobs and education because they had more opportunity.
Cool Roll Eyes

View Profile  
IP Logged

LaoguySoCal
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #26 - 25th Mar, 2011 at 7:12am

I went back last year again and talked to my relatives. They said forget it if you want to open a business in Laos unless you have connection. I said, what connection? They said, in order to have your business stay long and profitable you have to pay under table, you have to know people working for the government and sort of thing.  You know it is all about who you know, not what you know.  They told me just work in USA and retired in Laos that way you have stable income from your retirement.  I hope I can see my retirement money by that time. LOLZ. $10,000 not going to work for me. Last year I just blew almost $5000 just for visiting.  Unbelievable!

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #27 - 25th Mar, 2011 at 7:33am

Not good under the table money and bribery. Thats the problem with one party system corruption. "Absolute power corrupt."
Kiss Embarrassed

View Profile  
IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 25th Mar, 2011 at 4:54pm

Larb Dip wrote on 25th Mar, 2011 at 5:45am:

I have ambitions on being a pioneer and am not interested in following the latest trends. What 'businesses' haven't been tapped into yet?

No, it's just a sauna at the moment, although my guess is it'll include traditional Lao massage in the future.  I included that in the activities I developed for our resort guests (www.rivertimelaos) and it is very popular with foreign guests.  I have now sold the resort and am semi-retired.

The sauna is really just a hobby for my wife and looks like it'll be generating a profit of $600 to $1,000 a month.  My wife charges 10,000 kip ($1.25) per person per hour in the sauna.

Interesting that you would like to be a pioneer.  With $10,000 seed money you could do a lot here, but remember that rent/land is a big expense and that land prices and rent in Vientiane are very high now and almost at an international level.  Outside Vientiane, it's still quite cheap, but getting more expensive all the time.

As to what kind of business you could do, that depends on your talent and what you are interested in (besides the color of Administrator's underwear).

All this talk of corruption and other kinds of sleaze is unrealistically negative.  I was able to handle the business set up and running process while retaining a good level of integrity despite the difficulties.  Anyone with a reasonable level of intelligence, fortitude and perseverance should be able to do the same.

IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 25th Mar, 2011 at 4:55pm

Quote:
Larb Dip wrote on 25th Mar, 2011 at 5:45am:

No, it's just a sauna at the moment, although my guess is it'll include traditional Lao massage in the future.  I included that in the activities I developed for our resort guests (www.rivertimelaos.com) and it is very popular with foreign guests.  I have now sold our share in the resort and am semi-retired.

The sauna is really just a hobby for my wife and looks like it'll be generating a profit of $600 to $1,000 a month.  My wife charges 10,000 kip ($1.25) per person per hour in the sauna.

Interesting that you would like to be a pioneer.  With $50,000 seed money you could do a lot here, but remember that rent/land is a big expense and that land prices and rent in Vientiane are very high now and almost at an international level.  Outside Vientiane, it's still quite cheap, but getting more expensive all the time.

As to what kind of business you could do, that depends on your talent and what you are interested in (besides the color of Administrator's underwear).

All this talk of corruption and other kinds of sleaze is unrealistically negative.  I was able to handle the business set up and running process while retaining a good level of integrity despite the difficulties.  Anyone with a reasonable level of intelligence, fortitude and perseverance should be able to do the same.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 14335 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 93546 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 296706 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143117 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 79015 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 55000 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 80842 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 63770 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50473 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45347 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum