Send Topic Print
Business in Laos (Read 57482 times)

LaoguySoCal
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Business in Laos
17th May, 2009 at 1:51am

Okay guys,

I am wondering how much to start a small business in Laos.  What do you think of $10,000.00?  What can I do with $10,000?  I like an honest answers okay.  Please don't come in here give some bullshit answers.  We are all adults.  Thanks in advance.

Regards,

LaoguySoCal

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Business in Laos
Reply #1 - 17th May, 2009 at 2:27am

That's alot of money.

You can start a small business with $200 in Laos, but that's for small profit.

With $10,000, you can own a small restaurant or clothing shop.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

LaoguySoCal

I Love Laos!

Reply #2 - 17th May, 2009 at 2:43am

Thanks....... I am going to look in to this because I will try to be there for SEA games.  I am thinking running a service business, such as delivery services, oil changes station, or contracting services.  Just a thought.  I know they have these services already in Laos, but it is all about competition and who will give better services.  I am currently try to get my MBA.  I have BS in accounting.  Business in USA is to tough because so many of them and you have to have a lot of capital (money). What about taxes? licensing? and ownership? I know Laos is one of the worst corruption country out there.  Of course every where is corrupted.  Thanks again.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #3 - 17th May, 2009 at 2:51am

I am thinking of making a fish farm and selling the fish to market every 4 months when they mature. Need some land and dig out the hole and fill it with cement or something to trap the water in. Also want to build a green house to grow crops to sell, especially during the rainy season when no one else can grow any.

What type of business are you thinking about, a get rich quick scheme? My friend had an arcade/internet cafe there, not sure how well it did. How about you open a western style restaurant there.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

LaoguySoCal

I Love Laos!

Reply #4 - 17th May, 2009 at 3:34am

Thanks Buk Hoo Kee,

Good idea Buk Hoo Kee. I like that idea. Green house is another good idea.  Don't talk to me about a get rich quick scheme.  I have tried that so many times during my younger years.  I have tried to sell all kind of products before.  Did not work for me.  I am honest man and the only thing you can run a success business is to be honest.  I have an education. I am not one of those people that just wanted to do business.  Business requires not only money, but planning, law, licensing, location, products, and services. Oh, yeah western style restaurant.  I could start a franchise in Laos.  When I was a student in college I used to work for Burger Kings and McDonalds. Not a bad idea.  Keep in touch okay Buk Hoo Kee.

View Profile  
IP Logged

BlastSweep
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #5 - 4th Aug, 2009 at 12:39am

honestly, if you're living with Western standards and a bachelors degree, 10k is not going to get you far at all in investing in Laos.

Firstly, have you seen property prices in Vientiane? but it's not like you could buy it anyway since foreigners are barred from buying land.

as for a fish farm, you can't operating a profitable business from a few ponds in the back yard, but rather acres of tanks. Not to mention pumps, plumbing, maintenance and sustaining costs of a fish farm, versus catching fish in the hundreds of rivers flowing through Laos. Same with a green house.

In the 1900's the American government gave freed slaves 40 acres of land because that was the amount of land considered reasonable to sustain a family. And keyword is sustain, not prosper. So imagine enclosing a large area like that, and only have a small, brief, and competitive market for.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #6 - 4th Aug, 2009 at 7:14am

Most foreigners buy land under the name of someone in Laos who they can trust, usually a relative.

Properties in Vientiane especially close to the city is very expensive to buy. Before buying land in Laos, you need to be careful and do some research because the Government may need your area in the future. If this is the case, you will be forced to move out and they will give you new land elsewhere but the value of your new land will be lower than the land you previously owned.

IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Reply #7 - 4th Aug, 2009 at 10:11pm

We aren't talking about the 1900's anymore. My aunt has a fish farm in the back of her house, nothing close to 40 acres and they live off of that and then some and it's just a small pond. You can't compare doing business in the US and Laos, they are totally different, not to mention this is the year 2009. I don't own 40 acres of land and yet I'm doing quite well for myself. I know a guy who gave his brother in Laos 10k to buy a truck and start a trucking business importing and exporting stuff between the neighboring countries around Laos. The brother gave back the 10k after a year and is now rich. He sold out his own brother that was supposed to be his partner and instead told his brother, "here is the money back that you LENT me".
I have already invested in Laos, land and all but you got to know how to do it the Laos way, not the foreigner mindset way. If you think of fish farms and greenhouses like they have in the west, then you aren't going to suceed in Laos. When in Rome, do like the Romans.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

matt
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Anywhere but here

Reply #8 - 5th Aug, 2009 at 12:01am

interesting topic LaoguySoCal,

I'll be headed back to SE Asia soon again myself. I've thought about starting a business in Lao also, but I've opted to do some volunteer work, and hopefully show enough skills to get some work. After the collapse of the markets and my own business here in the US, I'm looking forward to living a simpler, but more challenging lifestyle for a foreigner.

Best of Luck to everyone.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #9 - 5th Aug, 2009 at 1:43am

I hope you have success in your new endeavours in Laos. Volunteer work is a good stepping-stone to employment.

IP Logged

BlastSweep
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #10 - 6th Aug, 2009 at 2:43am

Buk Hoo Kee wrote on 4th Aug, 2009 at 10:11pm:
We aren't talking about the 1900's anymore. My aunt has a fish farm in the back of her house, nothing close to 40 acres and they live off of that and then some and it's just a small pond. You can't compare doing business in the US and Laos, they are totally different, not to mention this is the year 2009. I don't own 40 acres of land and yet I'm doing quite well for myself. I know a guy who gave his brother in Laos 10k to buy a truck and start a trucking business importing and exporting stuff between the neighboring countries around Laos. The brother gave back the 10k after a year and is now rich. He sold out his own brother that was supposed to be his partner and instead told his brother, "here is the money back that you LENT me".
I have already invested in Laos, land and all but you got to know how to do it the Laos way, not the foreigner mindset way. If you think of fish farms and greenhouses like they have in the west, then you aren't going to suceed in Laos. When in Rome, do like the Romans.

Exactly, it is 2009, and the agricultural industries are becoming more and more consolidated, making it more difficult for small investors to get a start.

Additionally, by now, or very soon, most of the food needs will be fulfilled, either by companies or individuals who have already had a head start. I'm not saying you can't make it, but for such an endeavor to actually be actually worth while, or worth my while rather, I would expect a larger return on investment. There are bigger fish that you can fry in Laos, but hey, if 10K is all you got to lose, then go for it.

Some of the things that I can think off the top of my head that Laos could benefit from are spray on drywall/insulation installers, graphic design and printing or copy center, or pretty much anything related to the automotive or construction industries.

View Profile  
IP Logged

LaoguySoCal

I Love Laos!

Reply #11 - 6th Aug, 2009 at 11:58pm

Thanks guys for your input.

View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #12 - 24th Mar, 2011 at 3:48am

How about $300,000? Can I build my own business from the ground up to Lao PDR specifications and building codes?

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 17th May, 2009 at 2:27am:
That's alot of money.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #13 - 24th Mar, 2011 at 5:18am

You can do a lot in Laos with $300k. Money talk.
Roll Eyes

View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #14 - 24th Mar, 2011 at 5:43am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 17th May, 2009 at 2:27am:
That's alot of money.

What 'business' can be started from scratch with $200? I'll be on the first plane tomorrow! Kiss

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 14431 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 93590 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 296748 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143146 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 79041 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 55022 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 80861 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 63785 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50493 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45357 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum