Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Work in Laos (Read 9882 times)

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
Work in Laos
17th May, 2009 at 3:19am

I was wondering about how much was the average income in Laos. When I was there it seemed like there were some really wealthy people and then there were some really poor people. I even saw a new mercedes benz being driven on pot hole filled roads while an old lady was pulling a wooden cart. The difference seems so drastic. People have what they call "mae bahn" or mother of the house, but we would call that maids or live in house keepers. I've heard they make from $50-80 US a month. Seems like jobs are hard to come by that pay decent money. I would like to know more about daily life there and how much things would cost to live there such as rent, eating out, buying a car or bike, cost of school, clothing, food, etc. since I will be going there in about a year to live for a while. How do people afford to live off of $50 a month there, sort of puzzles me. What are the higher paying jobs and what are the requirements, fluency in english and laos? Are there any websites that post job ads for Laos?

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Work in Laos
Reply #1 - 17th May, 2009 at 4:22am

In this day and age, the maids are called "mae bahn" because the term "khon hup sai" in the past makes them feel like they are being looked down.

Jobs are very easy to find in Vientiane that pays around $50 - $80 US per month.  To earn a decent amount of money, people need to work in a very high-skilled job or own a business.

Those who earn around $50 a month usually live with their parents so they don't have alot of expenses.

Many people earn multiple incomes. For example, they might earn $50 from their job and they might sell things and earn extra income. Some people earn commission from property owners when they refer buyers to them.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

LaoguySoCal
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #2 - 18th May, 2009 at 2:04am

Just wondering if in Laos they have accounting firms.  From what I understand almost everything government owes.  I mean I don't mind start an accounting firm over there. Do some auditing, financial statements for the some private companies. Any info. is appreciated. I know Laos has come along way.  I hope it is not a dumb question. Again I left Laos 1978.  It has been more than 30 years.  I know a lot have changed.  Thanks in advance.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 18th May, 2009 at 4:33am

They have accounting firms in Laos. The government doesn't own everything, it depends what you do. Independent businesses are owned by an individual. Alot has changed, and alot also needs changing.

IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Reply #4 - 21st May, 2009 at 1:44am

Does anyone know of the major companies that exist in Laos. Where would be a good place to work for someone like us who come from north america and speak both english and laos and have some education. I saw a japanese company there but not sure what they did. I know there is a laos telecom company there, are there any major international companies there perhaps?

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #5 - 22nd May, 2009 at 4:17am

Beerlao is the biggest company in Laos. Dao-Heuang is also a well known company.

Foreigners can work in Laos but they probably also need some skills too, and not just know how to speak English and Lao.

IP Logged

Buk Hoo Kee

Laos
Reply #6 - 22nd May, 2009 at 7:22pm

Wow, beerlao is the biggest company in Laos, that sure tells you something, hehe.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #7 - 24th May, 2009 at 6:48am

Beerlao is also the major sponsor of the SEA Games in Vientiane.

laopride281.jpg

laopride282.jpg

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 79293 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 249071 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133264 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69955 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47569 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 74033 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57659 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45474 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 41067 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 34016 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum