Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Dried Meat (Read 8218 times)

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Dried Meat
13th Jun, 2009 at 7:37am

Laotians have been drying meats for preservation since thousands of years ago.

Thin slices of beef are marinated and dried slowly in the sun for no more than a day. After this period the dried meat is ready for consumption by deep frying.

laopride415.jpg

laopride416.jpg

laopride417.jpg

laopride418.jpg

laopride419.jpg

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

LaoguySoCal
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Re: Dried Meat
Reply #1 - 13th Jun, 2009 at 11:58am

Oh man, I love beef jerky.   Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #2 - 29th May, 2011 at 7:28pm

This is something I never understood about sin haang:

Why does it need to be dried?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #3 - 29th May, 2011 at 8:45pm

Larb Dip wrote on 29th May, 2011 at 7:28pm:
This is something I never understood about sin haang:

Why does it need to be dried?

It absorbs all the flavor you put in.  When you deep fry it or grill it, man oh man...it's delicious with jael or tom mok huong or tom mok toua. Smiley  I make these all the time during the summer.  But, I would never ever ever leave it hanging in the open like this.  I know because I've dealt with my Aunt's maggot infested jerky before when she left it out as shown in the picture.  I don't know where people think it's safe to leave out like that, regardless how much salt or oil you put on it.  it's nasty.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #4 - 29th May, 2011 at 10:23pm

I wouldn't leave it out like that either.

The purpose of drying meat is not only just for the flavour. It makes the meat last much longer, especially for poorer people and farmers. "Seen Haang" originated from rural Laos.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #5 - 30th May, 2011 at 2:04am

OMD wrote on 29th May, 2011 at 8:45pm:
it's delicious with jael or tom mok huong or tom mok toua. Smiley.

Hey, you Yanks Wink consume the bean version too? It must be authentic Lao then. All this time, I thought it was an improvisation like our dum kalot (carrots). I've already mentioned earlier that maak houang is hard to come by in NZ, hence the substitute.

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 29th May, 2011 at 10:23pm:
It makes the meat last much longer, especially for poorer people and farmers.

How?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #6 - 30th May, 2011 at 7:03am

Larb Dip wrote on 30th May, 2011 at 2:04am:
OMD wrote on 29th May, 2011 at 8:45pm:
it's delicious with jael or tom mok huong or tom mok toua. Smiley.

Hey, you Yanks Wink consume the bean version too? It must be authentic Lao then. All this time, I thought it was an improvisation like our dum kalot (carrots). I've already mentioned earlier that maak houang is hard to come by in NZ, hence the substitute.

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 29th May, 2011 at 10:23pm:
It makes the meat last much longer, especially for poorer people and farmers.

How?

Nearly all the products (fruits and vegetables) they have in Laos we have it here now. The Hmong farmers have been bringing in the seeds and start growing them here. As for green papaya, we import it mainly from Mexico. Kai and also Kai pan, we import it from Laos or just ask our relatives from Laos to send it. As for Tao similar to Kai, we have them here. It's not sold in stores you just have to know where the river that produces it and get it there. Grin

In the past or even now many families still don't have refrigeration. This is the only option for them to maintain shelf life for the meat. As long as the meat is kept completely dry (inside and out) and at certain room temperature it can last up to a month or two. That's one benefit for being poor, survival knowledge kicks in. Smiley

I don't know if you are familiar with the fish "Tilapia"also. I'm pretty sure you do it's common now. Back then in Vietnam they call it "poor mans fish", that's where it originated from. The fish is very cheap (tasteless) but healthy, and it doesn't have any fishy odor to it either. Due to it's popularity, it's now the biggest industry in world. It's crazy how a poor man's food can have an impact on the entire world. Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 3864 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 88177 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 292106 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 139542 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 75836 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 52331 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 78396 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 61638 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 48778 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43843 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum