Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
90% of educated Lao fled the country after 1975 (Read 6527 times)

Buk Hoo Kee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Laos
Awards: 2
Outstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award
90% of educated Lao fled the country after 1975
25th Feb, 2010 at 1:09am

http://home.vicnet.net.au/~lao/laostudy/kaysone.htm

I wonder why all the smart people left at that time?

There are two further reasons why the present regime is in no danger of collapse that need mentioning. One has to do with the nature of Lao society, and the size of the Lao educated elit�; the other with the nature of Lao politics. Because 90% of educated Lao fled the country after 1975, the few who remained constituted a tiny elit�, mostly comprising members of the LPRP. The Lao urban middle class was decimated. It is now increasing again, but only slowly. There exist no professional organizations to lobby governments, no civil society of the kind essential to a functioning democracy. It took the vastly larger Thai middle class a long time to challenge the exercise of political power by the Thai army: it will take the Lao middle class even longer before it is large enough or influential enough to challenge the combined power of the Party and the army. At present the new Lao elit�, based on wealth and education that has grown up under the new regime, is more inclined to compromise with the Party than challenge it.

Many people believe that in the present stage of Lao social and political development the country is best ruled by a single party, rather than allowing a number of parties to compete and become instruments of foreign influence as happened before 1975. Because people believe this, few are agitating for a multiparty system.

As the Lao economy modernizes, and Lao society becomes more sophisticated and complex, political changes will occur. They may entail conflict, or they may occur peacefully. But they will be brought about by those who live in the country, not by those looking on from outside. Nothing the west did brought about the end of communism in Russia and Eastern Europe. No-one in the West even foresaw it. The people of those countries were alone responsible. So it will be in Laos, when the time is ripe. In the meantime, we in Australia can watch with sympathy and understanding, and help where we can when we are asked to assist those inevitable forces of change that are already at work.

Got rice?
View Profile Buk Hoo Kee  
IP Logged

Tee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Re: 90% of educated Lao fled the country after 1975
Reply #1 - 26th Feb, 2010 at 2:08am

Because the communist have no use for them, at the time they concertrated on to reeducated them. so they all left.....

View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #2 - 26th Feb, 2010 at 9:34pm

Vietnam is too much in control of Laos.  Imagine, if the current government/people decides to break ties with Vietnam, I personally think there will be Turmoil/Chaos between the two sides.  To be honest with you, every country that surrounds Laos want the peace of the territory if even given a chance.  People don't protest because it tends to lead to more violence and beyond. Remember, Laos population is 5-6 million, that could easily be wiped out from the face of this Earth in minutes because of the technology we have today.  The only thing we can do is continue to support our people in any shape, or form in a non-violent manner.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Tee

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #3 - 27th Feb, 2010 at 9:30am

because we are too lazy to do thing for our self.every thing just wait for other to do for us. like. Laos it's an easy target...We are lazy,The people that know what to do are setting in their backside and do nothing! The people that live so far away are just full of hot air......mean while just let all the Laos in the country being take advantage by someone else.

View Profile  
IP Logged

OMD
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

CALIFORNIA DREAMING
Reply #4 - 27th Feb, 2010 at 7:36pm

It's not so much as being lazy, it's the fact of who's in control.  In certain rich residential community of Laos, homes and streets are gated.  Only the rich or person of importance are allowed access.  I'm sure there are some lazy asses that spend so much time partying and drinking that can careless about anything else.  What about those that farm, fish, just to put  food in their mouths?  A lot of our people are also very uneducated as well.  The people with money are the ones that should stand up and speak out for the community...they don't because of greed or they are linked to the corrupt government.  The country opened the doors to the world, this is an opportunity for all of us from the outside to go in and educate our people.  I'm sure some of us are hot air (all talk) but a majority still wants to make a difference either by going there personally or funding organizations that is already there to help.  

View Profile  
IP Logged

Tee

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #5 - 1st Mar, 2010 at 12:52pm

I am 100% agree with you on education the people...you can only help the people who wanted to being help..teach the people who wanted to learn..... most of the Laos only think about today....they never think about tomorrow.....why other race can be rich than us...even they can't speak Laos or read Laos. but they is far a head than Laos, why? because they are not lazy. they willing to do what ever it take to get a head....they also have goal set what they want to be... if you asking a young Laos(18-25) What would you like to be after they finish study? Most of them will say" I don't know...but I do like to get a good and secure job with big company!  They aren't any job in the world is secure! I still can see any job in Laos that pay a lot...a middle Manager can get around 10,000-12,000baht per month($330-$363) The rent is around 1,500Baht. food 3,000baht. payment on Motorbike 2,000Baht.Personal expend 2,000. petrol 500baht. they is not much left to save......

For other race who live in Laos will looking for second job or other small business to do like selling soy bean drink at night each night they will make around 300baht to 500baht on a good night! that is around 9,000Baht-15,000 per month in the bank!  That is good money in Laos!
it's make no different how smart you are..if you are lazy, you will always behind someone else! Laos are jealous other race because they see other race richer than them in a short time. but they them self can't!

We should learn from other race, how they drive them self each day to work so hard for their money! if we can do half of what other do....we could be the richer nation in South-East Asia.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 0 1291 Last Post 21st Apr, 2024 at 12:52pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 290599 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 86871 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 138562 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 74958 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 51597 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77749 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 61047 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 48285 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43444 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum