Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Some homes don't have official Address? (Read 5300 times)

USA Joe
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Some homes don't have official Address?
28th Jun, 2010 at 6:39pm

Hi. It's been brought to my attention that there are homes in 52 that does not have numeric address. This info came to me from a girl I recently met via friends. My questions are, (1) is this true? (2) and if so, why no address... it just doesn't make sense to me since you can not send mail/package to person.

Thank you for responding Smiley and this board ROCKS!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Some homes don't have official Address?
Reply #1 - 28th Jun, 2010 at 11:51pm

Hello USA Joe, and welcome to our message board.

If you are referring to a town called "Luck 52" on the outskirts of Vientiane, I was there recently. Most of the residents are Hmongs, an ethnic minority group in Laos, so your girl might be a Hmong.

It is true that homes in that area do not have a numeric address. There's no postal delivery service since homes are situated along the highway to Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang.

You can't send mail directly to her, but you can send it to someone (friend or relative) that is trustworthy and lives in a Lao city who knows her, and they can give it to her.

Please bare in mind that postal service in Laos is not reliable, it's never 100% guarantee that the person will receive your mail.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

USA Joe
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #2 - 29th Jun, 2010 at 4:27pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 28th Jun, 2010 at 11:51pm:
Hello USA Joe, and welcome to our message board.

If you are referring to a town called "Luck 52" on the outskirts of Vientiane, I was there recently. Most of the residents are Hmongs, an ethnic minority group in Laos, so your girl might be a Hmong.

It is true that homes in that area do not have a numeric address. There's no postal delivery service since homes are situated along the highway to Vang Vieng and Luang Prabang.

You can't send mail directly to her, but you can send it to someone (friend or relative) that is trustworthy and lives in a Lao city who knows her, and they can give it to her.

Please bare in mind that postal service in Laos is not reliable, it's never 100% guarantee that the person will receive your mail.

Wow. You are as intelligent as pretty. Piecing the little clues I gave.  I'm very appreciative for your response.

Yes, my girl is Hmong. According to her, her parents have lived there for more than six years. Yet they still dont have a residence address. There's no immediate plan by the Lao government to do so.

Would you be so kind as to explain the logic of how these houses can sprout up with no address? In the jungle or mountain area I can understand. But these are fairly modern homes in semi-rural area (running water & electricity) unless I am mistaken.

And yes, they rent a postal box in Vientiane for snail mail. But what a hassle. Anyways, I am very appreciative for your response.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 30th Jun, 2010 at 2:28am

It's my pleasure. I have average intelligence and average looks in today's Laotian mainstream.

You're right, Luck 52 is far from being a jungle or mountain area. It is only one hour drive by car, or just over an hour by bus from Vientiane city. There's a big market in Luck 52, in ten years time the village will grow bigger with more residential homes and businesses.

It is pointless to have a residential address when there's very limited or no postal service. A postal box rental is more secure because homes in Laos don't have letterboxes.

Another thing is that in Laos, people don't take much notice of numeric addresses because everybody knows each other in the village. If you want to visit someone, you just need to know the name of the person and village they live in. Someone in that village is bound to know them and can help locate their home.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 79293 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 35 249071 Last Post 19th Jan, 2024 at 4:36pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 133264 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 69955 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 47569 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 74033 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 57659 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 45474 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 41067 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 34016 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum