Send Topic Print
e-Commerce in Laos? (Read 8961 times)

Sean
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

e-Commerce in Laos?
12th Jan, 2011 at 3:06pm

Hey Laopride - first post! I live in Malaysia, visiting Laos for my first time in about 10 days or so to meet up with some friends passing through. I made some free shipping modules a couple of years ago for free e-commerce packages like osCommerce and Zen Cart so that online businesses in Malaysia can automatically include accurate shipping costs in their orders. I've been working on an updated super-duper version recently, and wondered if I can do the same for Laos.

It seems like if you have an Internet connection, you can download a free e-Commerce package, set up an account with someone like PayPal and start trading on the Internet. The shipping cost thing just makes it a bit easier to be competitive on price. Do many people have online shops in Laos?

All I'm after at the moment is to see if anyone is interested. My upgraded shipping quotation service will still be free for low-volume users, but I'm thinking of charging for higher-volume users about 10USD per year or so. This all succeeds or fails based on whether I can get the data from EPL, but if I can it should make life that much easier for people to start up their own online shops.

Woah I wrote so much  Shocked I'd be interested to know what you think. My project site (it's a work in progress - don't expect too much!) has an API page here:
http://spider.my/about/API.xhtml
and a little demo widget here:
http://spider.my/about/Shipping_widget.xhtml
and a world shipping cost (from Malaysia) map here:
http://spider.my/demo/shipping-quote-world-map.xhtml

Interesting? It's hard to see without actually going through a checkout for real. What happens is that the checkout will offer a few different shipping options (with data from my service, based on the weight of the order), the customer chooses one, and it's added onto the order total. Customer pays by PayPal or credit your local bank account. When you see the money, you pack the order and take it to EPL (or whoever) and pay them the right money (which you already have from your customer) for the selected shipping type (express, courier, donkey etc)

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Re: e-Commerce in Laos?
Reply #1 - 12th Jan, 2011 at 4:48pm

Stop spamming fool. 
Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Sean
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #2 - 29th Jan, 2011 at 8:49am

Hello, spamming fool here again. So I was in Vientiane a few days ago - loved it and want to go back. I went to the Post Office and found someone who gave me a copy of their EMS (Express Parcel Shipping) rates. I added them to my online shipping quotation project:

http://blog.lolyco.com/sean/2011/01/28/laos-shipping-quotations-for-e-commerce-o...

I still can't find a Laos-based online shop. All the components (software, payment clearing, shipping quotes) are available for free on the Web. Is there another obstacle to people setting up their own online shop in Laos that isn't obvious to an outsider?

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Reply #3 - 29th Jan, 2011 at 6:11pm

Administrator please bans this idiot for spamming.
Grin

Sean wrote on 29th Jan, 2011 at 8:49am:
Hello, spamming fool here again. So I was in Vientiane a few days ago - loved it and want to go back. I went to the Post Office and found someone who gave me a copy of their EMS (Express Parcel Shipping) rates. I added them to my online shipping quotation project:

http://blog.lolyco.com/sean/2011/01/28/laos-shipping-quotations-for-e-commerce-o...

I still can't find a Laos-based online shop. All the components (software, payment clearing, shipping quotes) are available for free on the Web. Is there another obstacle to people setting up their own online shop in Laos that isn't obvious to an outsider?

View Profile  
IP Logged

longhang
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Reply #4 - 31st Jan, 2011 at 10:50pm

ban him and his whole family, spare no one! lolz

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #5 - 1st Feb, 2011 at 12:56am

longhang wrote on 31st Jan, 2011 at 10:50pm:
ban him and his whole family, spare no one! lolz

Grin Grin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 5523 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 89054 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 292827 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 140082 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 76317 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 52759 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 78773 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 61981 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 49054 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44086 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum