Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
visiting and living in laos???? (Read 21896 times)

Rolf
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

visiting and living in laos????
19th Jan, 2011 at 8:17am

I am New Zealand citizen, and my wife of seven years is Chinese citizen. I get a lot of conflicting information about visiting and living in Laos. Do we need visas, and where to get them. First time I want to stay maybe three months, and come back for three to six months regularly. Later maybe to live there. I am not dependent on having an income, but i like to be busy, like teaching or work with investment as I done before. My first profession was as photographer and film maker, then I changed tack and spent eight years in university and became a qualified engineer with major in IT&T (computers and telecommunications) and a lawyer, and added on economics and business administration later. What do you think my options are???

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: visiting and living in laos????
Reply #1 - 19th Jan, 2011 at 9:16am

The Kiwis are coming in left, right and centre. Welcome to the forum, Rolf.

Every foreigner needs a visa of some sort to enter Laos. You can apply for one at the Lao Embassy in your country, or at a port of entry such as Vientiane airport.

You seem like a professional person. There are many Non-Government Organizations (NGOs) in Laos, so you could get in touch with them to see what positions they have on offer.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Rolf
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #2 - 19th Jan, 2011 at 9:46am

Visa, yes that sounds simple, would that apply to my wife as well as she is Chinese citizen?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 19th Jan, 2011 at 9:02pm

Chinese citizens holding diplomatic passport, service passport or passport for public affairs are exempt from Lao visa. Others will need to obtain a visa to enter Laos because China isn't a member of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN).

Chinese citizens may get a visa-free stay for a short period of time in some parts of northern Laos, if they hold a Sino-Laos Border Permit. To be safe than sorry, I advise to check with a Lao Consulate or Embassy for the latest information about visa.

The table below shows the countries and the current tourist visa fees to enter Laos, however, that may change in the future.

laopride81.jpg

tourist-visa-fee-to-laos.jpg

IP Logged

LaoguySoCal
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #4 - 20th Jan, 2011 at 7:45am

good information......thanks admin

View Profile  
IP Logged

Rolf
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #5 - 20th Jan, 2011 at 11:26am

Tanks, excellent information.  apparently you just show up at the border and pay a fee. Sounds simple.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #6 - 20th Jan, 2011 at 5:41pm

Generally, to save time and inconvenience, it's often easier to get your Lao visa done before you leave home. This way you can just show your passport at the entry point to be stamped, and you're allowed through.

If you don't want to apply beforehand for a Lao visa, then make sure you have a valid passport, a small photo of yourself, and some cash in US dollars when you show up.

IP Logged

Rolf
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #7 - 21st Jan, 2011 at 3:59am

Thanks, it is just that I live in Chongqing, and to get to a place where a Laos visa can be issued is a matter of two to three days on the train in either direction. Laos is a small country, but China is certainly not.

I am reading a lot about other people's experiences from Laos, and though most people seems to love the Lao people, many people seems to feel Laos as a country, when it comes to visiting, is hostile towards visitors. Most people who are genuinely interested in learning Laos would like to stay at least three months, better six months, which is the international norm for visitors, but Laos only allow 30 days.

Do you know if the Lao government has any way or channel to provide feedback and suggestions for improvements?

Another thing I noticed, there is hardly any good promotional information on Laos. Vietnam has a lot, but not Laos.

Another question. When I travel I usually try to seek out film or video production companies or photo studios and go and meet with them. It is always very interesting to sit and compare experiences, equipment and production and editing techniques, and it is very beneficial to all parties. Do you know of any such companies in Laos?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #8 - 21st Jan, 2011 at 4:40am

I don't think the mainstream Lao people are hostile towards visitors. We are renowned for welcoming visitors with genuine hospitality and a friendly atmosphere.

Regarding staying in Laos longer than 30 days, that's not a problem. When your visa expires, you can renew it while you're still in Laos so it's very convenient.

You can purchase a Lonely Planet book about Laos. It has some good information on Laos, I see some foreigners carry them around.

I don't know about video and photo companies sorry. There are many photo shops around, it doesn't hurt to talk to them. In Laos, you can talk to anyone on the streets, unlike many countries where people tend to keep to themselves.

IP Logged

Rolf
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #9 - 21st Jan, 2011 at 5:01am

Sorry, my fault, I created a misunderstanding. I never heard that mainstream Lao people are hostile. To the very contrary, very, very hospitable and friendly people as described. It is the government rules that have been criticised, and the best we can do is to make suggestions to the government to make a change.

When I was in my early career, many people helped me, now it is my turn. Laos is a developing country and will need a lot of knowledge from outside, and knowledge can only come through people. I always like to leave more behind than I take with me.

We often say that if you give a man a fish he can eat for a day, but if you teach him to fish he can eat for a lifetime. (Remeber New Zealand is an island and people live off the sea.)

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #10 - 21st Jan, 2011 at 7:44am

We can't do anything much about the Government rules. It's best to stay out of politics while in Laos, even making small suggestions are not recommended because it's like playing with fire.

That quote is so true. You could share your knowledge and skills with the locals, and, in return they can help you with things that you want to know.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #11 - 21st Jan, 2011 at 6:18pm

One party system, government and politics is the problem. They don't like suggestion, but after 30 year Laos education system, health care, jobs opportunity is still not the best.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #12 - 21st Jan, 2011 at 10:41pm

That's the way it goes.

IP Logged

LaoguySoCal
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #13 - 22nd Jan, 2011 at 8:28am

admin, you are so knowledgeable about almost everything. Just wondering you must have high education.......really appreciated your responses to almost every topics lol

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #14 - 22nd Jan, 2011 at 9:28am

I enjoy hard work and learning, I get that from Judy Garland.

My job as the admin of Lao Pride is to be active and help as much as I can about Laos to our visitors.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 5523 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 89054 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 292827 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 140082 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 76317 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 52759 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 78772 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 61981 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 49054 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44086 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum