Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Valentine's Day is around the corner (Read 43226 times)

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Valentine's Day is around the corner
Reply #15 - 12th Feb, 2013 at 7:56am

Buk Hoo Kee wrote on 12th Feb, 2013 at 5:29am:
Poor still remains poor because there is no opportunity. And the gov'ts reaction to it: oh they are just lazy, that's why they are poor. Look at the other people who are rich, they worked hard to get that. But really, they never worked a day in their lives, dumber than dumb too. And the cycle continues...

Lao people are lazy in general. There are opportunities but the job won't come to you by sitting around and doing nothing.

There are businesses operating in nearly every corner of city, restaurants and guesthouses are plentiful. Why not drop in, or give them a call to ask if they require more staff? It's called "cold calling."

Some rich people, particularly those operating a normal business work hard and earn a legitimate income, but the super rich is what concerns me because we don't really know their activities.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Awards: 2
Judy Garland Silver Star AwardLaotian Award
Reply #16 - 13th Feb, 2013 at 1:21am

So jobs are of plenty in the country but why many go to Thailand? Perhaps the obvious reason is the relatively higher wages for ‘general labourers’ on the other side of the River.

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 12th Feb, 2013 at 7:03am:
I see no middle class in Laos, only super rich or dirt poor. The super rich hi so want a certain lifestyle and are willing to pay for it at any cost since they have unlimited spending potential, but the poor and not so rich cannot manage to keep up with that lifestyle so they continue to fall deeper into poverty.

The wages should reflect how much you work. In Laos we have too much time on our hands, therefore deserving of the low wages.

In your country in America, do the teachers go home for 2 hours to relax and enjoy lunch? Do you have labourers sitting around and enjoying a beer with their co-workers as if deadlines doesn't mean anything?

There's plenty of middle class in Laos. If your household owns a motorbike or two, a fridge, TV and some mobile phones then you're considered a middle class family. Middle class citizens can't afford to buy a car, but they can afford to own these basic essentials.

If you are super rich in Laos, the chances are you are involved in corruption.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #17 - 13th Feb, 2013 at 3:50am

Jobs in this part of the world tend to pay a monthly salary, rather than a wage.

Laotians who go to work in Thailand are mostly from poor rural areas. It's not that Laos doesn't have jobs available, they have a choice and can travel to one of the Lao cities to work if they really wanted to, but the higher salaries in Thailand persuaded them to cross the river. 

The salaries in Thailand is not much difference for low-skilled jobs, maybe they pay around $50 more than the same job in Laos and Thai employers are known to be very strict with Lao employees. Being away from family also means they are at risk of entering the sex industry, particular girls when desperate times call for desperate measures.

IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #18 - 13th Feb, 2013 at 8:55pm

Aha...I see now.  Salaries of low skilled labourers needed to increase to lure them to work in the country.  Hopefully this can be accomplish about 5 years from now.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #19 - 14th Feb, 2013 at 4:45am

We will see in about 5 years, but they don't deserve an increase at the moment. Around $100 per month is the norm for low-skilled labourers.

The Vietnamese and Chinese are working in Laos, and many more still want to come to Laos to work. The salary is acceptable for them so Lao workers should be happy too.

IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Judy Garland Silver Star AwardOutstanding Contribution Award
Reply #20 - 14th Feb, 2013 at 9:26am

I want to move to Lao. The problem is I will not be given citizenship permit. I can not buy land.

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 14th Feb, 2013 at 4:45am:
We will see in about 5 years, but they don't deserve an increase at the moment. Around $100 per month is the norm for low-skilled labourers.

The Vietnamese and Chinese are working in Laos, and many more still want to come to Laos to work. The salary is acceptable for them so Lao workers should be happy too.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #21 - 14th Feb, 2013 at 9:32am

It is good to have reminder to say some day is coming. It is a good hint, you pay you gain. That is common. You pay, you don't gain, that is a trade protectionist you find. It is your problem now. Today, hope your bilateral trade goes well. Ha ha ha ha Grin

Let me ask the guys, have you ever received anything on Valentines day from a girl? And if so, what was it? They don't even say thanks after, they would just remind me a few days before, that Valentines day is coming up you know... hint hint... damn.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #22 - 14th Feb, 2013 at 9:49am

peterpan wrote on 14th Feb, 2013 at 9:26am:
I want to move to Lao. The problem is I will not be given citizenship permit. I can not buy land.

Put it in someone else's name.

You won't live forever anyway. Your land will be in the possession of others, or the Government.

IP Logged

sakyant
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I love Laos!

Southern California
Reply #23 - 14th Feb, 2013 at 12:54pm

peterpan, I met a Lao-American last summer in Luang Prabang who owned a restaurant. He invested more than $200,000 into the business which includes the property and the renovations done to a former house that he remodeled into a restaurant/bar. Even though he has invested a considerable amount into the local economy he won't even qualify for citizenship until he has lived in Laos for an extended period of time. At this point he isn't even able to register the business in his name and so has to put it officially in someone else's name. I want to say that he will have to wait for five years or so before he gains citizenship. He also mentioned that the government has called him for numerous interviews, so the level of bureaucracy to even progress as far as he has is considerable.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #24 - 14th Feb, 2013 at 3:51pm

That guy is a nice one. try to be internationally local, it is easy to get the citizenship as one of my friends did.

I think I met the guy this time I stayed in Luang Prabang. Grin

sakyant wrote on 14th Feb, 2013 at 12:54pm:
peterpan, I met a Lao-American last summer in Luang Prabang who owned a restaurant. He invested more than $200,000 into the business which includes the property and the renovations done to a former house that he remodeled into a restaurant/bar. Even though he has invested a considerable amount into the local economy he won't even qualify for citizenship until he has lived in Laos for an extended period of time. At this point he isn't even able to register the business in his name and so has to put it officially in someone else's name. I want to say that he will have to wait for five years or so before he gains citizenship. He also mentioned that the government has called him for numerous interviews, so the level of bureaucracy to even progress as far as he has is considerable. 

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #25 - 14th Feb, 2013 at 3:59pm

Well. to be frank. lao people I met were not lazy, give them the title to land and conditions, every lao is John Galt. You feel them lazy is they must be lazy because they can not get more otherwise. My experiences from companies in Lao.

Under any condition, working hard wont make you rich. Behind the door, that is something can make you rich.

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 12th Feb, 2013 at 7:56am:
Poor still remains poor because there is no opportunity. And the gov'ts reaction to it: oh they are just lazy, that's why they are poor. Look at the other people who are rich, they worked hard to get that. But really, they never worked a day in their lives, dumber than dumb too. And the cycle continues...

Lao people are lazy in general. There are opportunities but the job won't come to you by sitting around and doing nothing.

There are businesses operating in nearly every corner of city, restaurants and guesthouses are plentiful. Why not drop in, or give them a call to ask if they require more staff? It's called "cold calling."

Some rich people, particularly those operating a normal business work hard and earn a legitimate income, but the super rich is what concerns me because we don't really know their activities.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #26 - 14th Feb, 2013 at 4:01pm

Your last sentence is 100% right. Earn it is one thing, keep it another.

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 14th Feb, 2013 at 9:49am:
peterpan wrote on 14th Feb, 2013 at 9:26am:

Put it in someone else's name.

You won't live forever anyway. Your land will be in the possession of others, or the Government.

View Profile  
IP Logged

peterpan
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #27 - 14th Feb, 2013 at 4:13pm

How about this year Day? Grin

Buk Hoo Kee wrote on 10th Feb, 2013 at 10:57pm:
Happy Valentines Day on Feb. 14th

This year, I have no valentine... maybe I'm better off alone.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #28 - 14th Feb, 2013 at 11:02pm

There will always be somebody for someone Wink!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Beef Cake
God Member

I love Laos!

Reply #29 - 14th Feb, 2013 at 11:05pm

Happy Valentine's yall!

SoRedTheRoses.jpg (33 KB | 547 )
SoRedTheRoses.jpg
View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 10191 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 91480 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 294818 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 141707 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 77767 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 53954 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 79863 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 62940 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 49834 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44744 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum