Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Lao long bean salad (Read 14060 times)

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Lao long bean salad
20th Feb, 2011 at 8:56pm

We've all heard of the mouth-watering Lao papaya (paw paw) salad, but long bean (snake bean) salad is also a healthy delicacy to Lao people.

lao-long-bean-salad-1.jpg

lao-long-bean-salad-2.jpg

lao-long-bean-salad-3.jpg

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Re: Lao long bean salad
Reply #1 - 21st Feb, 2011 at 7:00am

One of my favorite food. I actually like bean salad more then papaya salad. Papaya salad is good too. I also like cucumber salad.
Shocked

View Profile  
IP Logged

longhang
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Reply #2 - 21st Feb, 2011 at 7:19am

i like kapoon salad, *not sure if i spelled it right, but basically its papaya salad mixxed with soft noodles. anyway bean salad is alright.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #3 - 21st Feb, 2011 at 7:24am

longhang wrote on 21st Feb, 2011 at 7:19am:
i like kapoon salad, *not sure if i spelled it right, but basically its papaya salad mixxed with soft noodles. anyway bean salad is alright.

That very good too. I try to make them sometime. Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #4 - 21st Feb, 2011 at 8:04am

Cucumber salad is nice too.  

Yes, kapoon (slim noodle pasta) salad is also a delicious Lao dish.

There's also carrot salad and mango salad, so there's all sorts of Lao style salads that you can make. Thais only know how to eat papaya salad, which they call "Som Tum".

Laotians know how to eat many varieties of salads, so the name of the salad is more specific, such as "Tum Maak Hoong", Tum this, and Tum that.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #5 - 21st Feb, 2011 at 10:02pm

I think Lao papaya tast the best. I has try Thai, Khmer and Hmong papaya, buy it tast different. They used different type of padak and Hmong don't used them at all.
Cool

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #6 - 21st Feb, 2011 at 11:01pm

It depends on what your taste buds are used to. Thais, Cambodians, and Hmongs might say theirs taste the best.

Although you don't necessarily need to add padaek (fermented fish sauce), a Lao salad generally tastes better with it.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #7 - 22nd Feb, 2011 at 5:18pm

Papaya don't tast right without padak. I like crabs padak with papaya salad. You have to taste papaya from different culture to know. Thai or Lao Isan papaya salad is pretty similar
to Laos.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #8 - 22nd Feb, 2011 at 10:23pm

Some restaurants in Laos leave out the padaek, and just add alot of fish sauce.

Thai style papaya salad is a bit different because they usually add nuts to it.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #9 - 24th Feb, 2011 at 3:32am

Little padak is ok, but not too much. Papaya salad without padak I probably wouldn't buy it. I grew up on Sticky rice and padak man.
Cool

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 36 286233 Last Post 31st Mar, 2024 at 1:47am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 85738 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 137615 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 74081 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 50887 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 77125 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60495 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 47807 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 43043 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 35516 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum