Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Income and cost of living for foreigners (Read 7088 times)

abercrombie
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Income and cost of living for foreigners
9th Mar, 2011 at 2:54pm

Howdy.  I've been considering moving to Laos for a while now, particularly to Vientiane. 

Is it possible to get a decent small apartment for a couple hundred USD a month?

Also, is there part time work to be had?  I've been teaching kindergarten in Shanghai for about four years, and would like to continue doing that in Laos, if possible.  Don't know what it pays though.

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Re: Income and cost of living for foreigners
Reply #1 - 9th Mar, 2011 at 5:42pm

You can find rents for couple hundred a month in LPDR. Check out rentsbuy.com. For apartment or buying property. I'm not sure about the pay for english teacher.
Cool Smiley

abercrombie wrote on 9th Mar, 2011 at 2:54pm:
Howdy.  I've been considering moving to Laos for a while now, particularly to Vientiane.  

Is it possible to get a decent small apartment for a couple hundred USD a month?

Also, is there part time work to be had?  I've been teaching kindergarten in Shanghai for about four years, and would like to continue doing that in Laos, if possible.  Don't know what it pays though.

View Profile  
IP Logged

abercrombie
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #2 - 9th Mar, 2011 at 10:00pm

Wow, thank you!  That is a great link!

But I have to ask... In Shanghai, the English language websites for apartments are largely scams.  Listings that look nice but don't really exist, just to lure you in for something dingy and more expensive.  I'm totally inexperienced with SE Asia and Laos.  Can the rental websites (and rentsbuy.com in particular) be trusted?

Thanks again!!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #3 - 9th Mar, 2011 at 10:58pm

The price of apartments in Vientiane depends on the location of it, and how many rooms there are. They tend to be cheaper further from the city, but it is possible to find a small apartment enough for two people for around $250 - $400 a month.

Apartments are usually equipped with everything you need, but of course if you prefer to use your own brand new blankets, kitchen utensils, and what have you, then you can always purchase them at the shops.

As for jobs in the teaching sector, I lack knowledge. Drop into a school that looks like a good environment for you, and see if there are opportunities. School authorities in Laos have time to chat.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

abercrombie
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #4 - 9th Mar, 2011 at 11:18pm

Thank you, LPA! 

What do you think about rental listings?  Pretty near the truth?  I guess there are lots more available that are not listed, just need to have a look around...

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #5 - 9th Mar, 2011 at 11:25pm

I haven't checked their rental listings, but as far as I know, they advertise their site on the streets and in the papers, so it's probably a legitimate site and a good place to start.

But you're right, look around to find the cheapest price.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #6 - 10th Mar, 2011 at 7:02pm

abercrombie wrote on 9th Mar, 2011 at 10:00pm:
Wow, thank you!  That is a great link!

But I have to ask... In Shanghai, the English language websites for apartments are largely scams.  Listings that look nice but don't really exist, just to lure you in for something dingy and more expensive.  I'm totally inexperienced with SE Asia and Laos.  Can the rental websites (and rentsbuy.com in particular) be trusted?

Thanks again!!

I don't work for them. They're big company and been around for a long time. I think we can trust them.
Cool

View Profile  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 5792 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 89203 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 292933 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 140185 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 76394 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 52829 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 78842 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 62031 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 49094 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44116 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum