Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
What are the Franchises in Vientiane? (Read 17139 times)

PEACE
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

DIN FAR
What are the Franchises in Vientiane?
10th Mar, 2011 at 3:41pm

Curious does anyone know of any franchise currently operating in Laos (Vientiane in particular)?  From any business sectors.  I can see that there are Shell Gas Stations from map.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: What are the Franchises in Vientiane?
Reply #1 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 12:21am

Soft drinks (soda), such as Pepsi and 7UP.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #2 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 3:34am

It would've been nice if Laos has Subway, KFC and McDonald franchise. That mean anybody with money to invest in Laos can own one.
Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Reply #3 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 3:56am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 11th Mar, 2011 at 12:21am:
Soft drinks (soda), such as Pepsi and 7UP.

Why is there only PEPSI? When I was in Laos - a few years ago - I couldn't get any COCOA-COLA? Pepsi just doesn't taste right!

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #4 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 5:36am

I guess you mean "Coca-Cola".

They sell Coca-Cola or coke, but they're more expensive than Pepsi.

Coke is sold in cans and plastic bottles and you can take them home with you, while they pour pepsi in a plastic bag with ice and straw and the bottle is kept at the store. A a bit of prehistoric humour, but we're used to it in Laos.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #5 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 6:00am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 11th Mar, 2011 at 5:36am:
I guess you mean "Coca-Cola".

They sell Coca-Cola or coke, but they're more expensive than Pepsi.

Coke is sold in cans and plastic bottles and you can take them home with you, while they pour pepsi in a plastic bag with ice and straw and the bottle is kept at the store. A a bit of prehistoric humour, but we're used to it in Laos.

Why did they hide the "COCOA-COLA"- (Yes I am human) - from me then. It was always PEPSI. And those filthy bags, where do they get them from? Even when I was out ordering fried rice in one of the numerous street stalls, In was "SHOCKED!" to see flies buzzing around the slaughtered carcass. What even "SHOCKED!" me MORE, was the nonchalance of the "chef" .After swatting away as many as he could, she "reassured" me, with a beaming smile followed by a  lift of her eyebrows, that I was in "safe" hands.
Does Laos not have any standards?
You can probably guess what I did with the "food", can't you?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #6 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 6:23am

Their bags are not filthy.  

The open streets will always have flies when there's the smell of food around. The merchants don't like flies just as much as you and I, but there's not a lot that can be done.

If it's not your cup of tea, then you're best buying food inside a respectable restaurant.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #7 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 6:42am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 11th Mar, 2011 at 6:23am:
Their bags are not filthy.  

The open streets will always have flies when there's the smell of food around. The merchants don't like flies just as much as you and I, but there's not a lot that can be done.

If it's not your cup of tea, then you're best buying food inside a respectable restaurant.

Trust me when I say, what I say. "Filthy" would be putting it lightly! You also got dust swirling around too. From what I could make of the bags themselves, I think that they were recycled (pick off the side off the roads), from the way they were already condensed. (Who knows? In Laos, anythings possible!) It did take the vendor a bit of pull-power to pry the damn thing open. If you are wondering: if I drank it or not? Yes. I did. Not much choice, considering that grilling sun.

That was a one-off by the way. I only ate at home or in the "established" venues.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #8 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 10:00am

They didn't hide the "coca-cola" from you. They usually don't sell any on the streets. They are sold in the mini marts and markets.

Well, it's not very hygienic and I hope you don't experience anything like that again.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #9 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 10:09am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 11th Mar, 2011 at 10:00am:
They didn't hide the "coca-cola" from you. They usually don't sell any on the streets. They are sold in the mini marts and markets.

Well, it's not very hygienic and I hope you don't experience anything like that again.

I love Laos! Don't you worry admin', Laos is my home away from home! I'm retiring there soon, god willing. That episode hasn't put me off traveling to Laos.

During the SEA games, how was the atmosphere? Man, I would have love to have been there! The city must have swelled 10 times it's usual size.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #10 - 11th Mar, 2011 at 11:22am

Yes, many tourists in Vientiane, but the SEA Games now seems like a life time ago.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #11 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 12:43am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 11th Mar, 2011 at 11:22am:
Yes, many tourists in Vientiane, but the SEA Games now seems like a life time ago.

Time really moves that slow in Laos? Over here it's always work; go home. Work; go home. Years literally fly by. Before you know it, it's already gone.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #12 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 1:08am

Larb Dip wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 12:43am:

Time really moves that slow in Laos? Over here it's always work; go home. Work; go home. Years literally fly by. Before you know it, it's already gone.

Sound like US pay is good, but working 40-50 hrs a week. I'm happy.
Cool Shocked

View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #13 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 5:34am

llX wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 1:08am:
Larb Dip wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 12:43am:

Sound like US pay is good, but working 40-50 hrs a week. I'm happy.
Cool Shocked

What are the pay rates over there, mate? Do you have double overtime rates? Or is it time-and-a-half?
I know Australia has the best! pay rates. That's why almost 100,000 people from NZ move over there every year.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #14 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 5:44am

They pay double and time-and-half. Its all depend what company you work for, your education, position, skilled and experience. US per capita income a year is $47,700. New Zealand is $31,000.
Cool

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 6004 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 89312 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 293018 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 140252 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 76461 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 52879 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 78886 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 62071 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 49130 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44146 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum