Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Vientiane development and modernization (Read 29696 times)

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Re: Vientiane development and modernization
Reply #15 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 10:26am

Quote:
Larb Dip wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 6:04am:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I really don't think that Laos is going anywhere, in terms of quality of life. Not for the locals anyway.

If you spent enough time here on a permanent or semi-permanent basis, you would see that that is patently not the case.

ALL THIS PESSIMISM IS GIVING ME A HEADACHE.

WHY? YOU GOT ENOUGH MONEY!

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 11:30pm

Larb Dip wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 10:26am:
Quote:
Larb Dip wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 6:04am:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I really don't think that Laos is going anywhere, in terms of quality of life. Not for the locals anyway.

If you spent enough time here on a permanent or semi-permanent basis, you would see that that is patently not the case.

ALL THIS PESSIMISM IS GIVING ME A HEADACHE.

WHY? YOU GOT ENOUGH MONEY!

The question is not about me.  You stated that "the quality of life for the locals is not going anywhere."

This is not correct.  I've lived in Lao towns and villages for over 20 years and am able to see the quality of life for local people getting better, month by month, year by year, in terms of income generation, nutrition, commuications, education, healthcare, access to utilities and services such as transportation, electricity, water, roads, etc. etc.

But you have to be here over time to to see the improvements.  If someone is only here for a few weeks, what they see is merely a 'snapshop' in time, and do not see the many and widespread, continuing improvements in the lives of Lao people.

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #17 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 12:43am

Exactly. You have to live in Laos to get the feel of the country, and really understand the improvements because you see it with your own eyes on a regular basis, and not just for a few weeks.

Many rural areas didn't have any electricity and water years ago, but now not only do they have that, but some areas even have internet access.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #18 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 2:42am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 13th Mar, 2011 at 12:43am:
Exactly. You have to live in Laos to get the feel of the country, and really understand the improvements because you see it with your own eyes on a regular basis, and not just for a few weeks.

Many rural areas didn't have any electricity and water years ago, but now not only do they have that, but some areas even have internet access.

3 months is long enough to get a "feel" for the country. Laos is where I feel most comfortable anyway. You can just wakeup and stroll to the morning markets paranoia-free (yes, even in yesterday's clothes, even before brushing your teeth) without self-conscience worry.
These "improvements" are chugging along at a snail's pace! Where I stayed - which I have already conveyed - they have already started to "evict" residents in favour of a golf course. (Whatever happened to these "evictees" in regards to their accomidations, nowadays? Someone let me know). Most of the old-timers I "interviewed" only have enough to survive. None have jobs nor any type of "real" income. "Pimping" their daughters is the only way they can really acquire any surplus. (This wasn't part of the "interview", but I heard it through the village's grapevine). Most are drunk before lunchtime.  But this was a few years ago, so you might be right. But ANY "improvements" still won't make much of a difference. Not for the locals anyway.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #19 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 7:14am

Larb Dip wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 4:38am:
I just saw on the news that there has been a BIG earthquake in Japan. As if this wasn't bad enough, it has been compounded by a MASSIVE tsunami (never seen anything like it, and is 10 times greater than the 2004 Boxing Day version). I just wanted to convey my condolences and hope that everyone in this forum shares the compassion that I feel for the Japanese at this testing time.

Kiwi news travels slow. Just kidding. I have been watching in silent horror for the people of Japan, and in awe of the power under the planet.

The latest news is that 1  nuclear power plant is next to a melt-down, with the possibility of 4 more being very close also. These plants contain 100 times more nuclear fuel than the Chernobyl plant did.

If fate has it, Japan may not be in any position to help anyone, maybe not even it's own people. My prayers go out to them all.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #20 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 7:18am

Quote:
Larb Dip wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 4:38am:
I just saw on the news that there has been a BIG earthquake in Japan. As if this wasn't bad enough, it has been compounded by a MASSIVE tsunami (never seen anything like it, and is 10 times greater than the 2004 Boxing Day version). I just wanted to convey my condolences and hope that everyone in this forum shares the compassion that I feel for the Japanese at this testing time.

Kiwi news travels slow. Just kidding. I have been watching in silent horror for the people of Japan, and in awe of the power under the planet.

The latest news is that 1  nuclear power plant is next to a melt-down, with the possibility of 4 more being very close also. These plants contain 100 times more nuclear fuel than the Chernobyl plant did.

If fate has it, Japan may not be in any position to help anyone, maybe not even it's own people. My prayers go out to them all.

YANKEE news travels slow! Wink

One of the reactors has already blown up! A reported 160 people are already said to have contracted radiation. Typhoid cancer is imminent! My prayers go out for all the Japanese affected in this disaster!

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #21 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 7:33am

Thanks for the update fellas. There's so many natural disasters happening lately around the world, it's hard to keep up with everything, and we can't do anything with the situation in Japan but hope and pray for those affected by this tragedy.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #22 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 7:42am

That got me thinking: What do you guys/girls think about this 2012 end-of-the-world theory? Does anyone really take this seriously? (Another Y2K)

What do you all think?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #23 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 7:50am

People predicted that 2000 will be the end of the world. Well, now we're sitting here predicting that 2012 will be the end of the world, then maybe 2020 and so on.

I personally, don't take it seriously.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #24 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 8:06am

That Y2K hype was more about computers than anything. If computers had stopped functioning then that pretty much meant suicide for the rich, wouldn't it? The peasants would become the next upper class! Imagine that. (Nobody actually carries "money" around anymore. It's always credit-cards these days).

The buzz surrounding this 2012 theory is of a more "natural disaster". Look at that tsunami that just occured the other day in Japan. There's no ducking-and-hiding from that sort of thing, is there. I have started to lose a bit of my good night sleep to be honest and am contemplating storing up supplies. You never know (better to be safe than sorry).

Just my thoughts on this issue. Huh

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #25 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 8:11am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 13th Mar, 2011 at 7:50am:
People predicted that 2000 will be the end of the world. Well, now we're sitting here predicting that 2012 will be the end of the world, then maybe 2020 and so on.

I personally, don't take it seriously.

Okay. Everyone is predicting a date the world will end, and I am starting to feel left out. 55555 So, I in my infinite (or lack of) wisdom predict that the world will end on February 27, 3031, or not. Either way no one here will know if I am right.

IP Logged

Tee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #26 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 1:54pm

Hi OldMan

It's nice to see you joint in with this post!  As I understand you are living there permanently. Would be nice to hear your view about  China and Vietnam present in Laos? What do you think of them?

View Profile  
IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 14th Mar, 2011 at 1:35am

Tee wrote on 13th Mar, 2011 at 1:54pm:
Hi OldMan

It's nice to see you joint in with this post!  As I understand you are living there permanently. Would be nice to hear your view about  China and Vietnam present in Laos? What do you think of them?

I think you contacted me before under my first username of 'Vientiane' - I changed the name because someone else already had it.

I don't want to present any strong views about the many Chinese and Vietnamese present in Laos except to observe that a great many of the businesses in Laos are opened and run by Chinese, Lao-Chinese, Vietnamese and Lao-Vietnamese.  This is not unusual. In most of Southeast-Asia such as Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, etc. Chinese businesspeople predominate due to their innate business drive.  

It continues to amuse me that most westerners still think of the Chinese and Vietnamese as being 'Marxist' or 'Leninist' since Capitalism seems to be part of their DNA.

IP Logged

Old Man
Ex Member

Reply #28 - 14th Mar, 2011 at 1:37am

Quote:
Hi OldMan

It's nice to see you joint in with this post!  As I understand you are living there permanently. Would be nice to hear your view about  China and Vietnam present in Laos? What do you think of them?

I think you contacted me before under my first username of 'Vientiane' - I changed the name because someone else already had it.

I don't want to present any strong views about the many Chinese and Vietnamese present in Laos except to observe that a great many of the businesses in Laos are opened and run by Chinese, Lao-Chinese, Vietnamese and Lao-Vietnamese.  This is not unusual. In most of Southeast-Asia such as Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, etc. Chinese businesspeople predominate due to their innate business drive.  

It continues to amuse me that most westerners still think of the Chinese and Vietnamese as being 'Marxist' or 'Leninist' since Capitalism seems to be part of Chinese DNA.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #29 - 14th Mar, 2011 at 6:53pm

Quote:
Hi OldMan

It continues to amuse me that most westerners still think of the Chinese and Vietnamese as being 'Marxist' or 'Leninist' since Capitalism seems to be part of their DNA.

That is true. In Laos and Cambodia Chinese, Viet dominate the business. In Thailand yellow shirt Chinese/Thai, jek dominate economy, government and military. Red shirt Isan are left out.
Cool Wink

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 5972 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 89294 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 293006 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 140242 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 76452 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 52871 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 78878 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 62064 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 49123 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44141 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum