Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
My favorite Lao food? Mine is Sin Hang! (Read 35240 times)

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Re: My favorite Lao food? Mine is Sin Hang!
Reply #30 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 7:46am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 13th Mar, 2011 at 7:35am:
Tourists eat in restaurants, where "larp" is much dearer.

I'm talking about "larp" on the streets and markets, that generally cater locals. If they're too expensive then locals can't afford to buy them.

Okay, I see. So they do know how the world works after all. Grin

How much do they make (profit) a day? How much is cosidered a "killing" over there?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #31 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 8:35am

Profit varies from business to business. They're not going to tell you and I, how much they make a day.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #32 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 8:41am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 13th Mar, 2011 at 8:35am:
Profit varies from business to business. They're not going to tell you and I, how much they make a day.

Did you ask?

Lao aren't like our western counterparts. If you really want to know then ask. They are usually frank. (This, you can take me at my word for, "nang".) But with Lao-being-Lao, most aren't that courageous.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #33 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 8:47am

Even if you ask, they'll tell you that they don't make much. They don't want any competition.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #34 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 9:05am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 13th Mar, 2011 at 8:47am:
Even if you ask, they'll tell you that they don't make much. They don't want any competition.

I'm not talking about asking in tandem while making your order. With an issue as sensitive as this, you need to ease your way in. If it is a store that you frequent (especially if you small-talk the owner on a regular basis) then you could probably get at least a answer.
We are talking about our beloved Laos here, are we not? Has it changed so much. so recently, that the "kinship" that we once abided by has been thrown-out in favour of money?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #35 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 9:23am

Some days they will make little profit, and other days a lot of profit. It's not like a normal job where you have a fixed salary.

Maybe ask for their monthly profit is the best way to go, but even that will vary because their business may perform better during the dry than wet season.

IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #36 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 12:15pm

It is all relative my friend.  With the 'capitalistic' mentality that has just started recently in Laos, costs of everything (products...labour...services)  will go up significantly fast.  Therefore larp dip from the local restaurant will tripple in a couple years and not be $0.40/person.

Larb Dip wrote on 13th Mar, 2011 at 6:51am:
Admin Saovaluck wrote on 13th Mar, 2011 at 6:45am:
No, I don't bother cooking in Laos when you can order "larp" for as little as 3000 kip (40 US cents) to feed one person.

What a joke! How does ANYONE in Laos make any profit? You're not going to sit there and tell me it co$t 20c to buy the meat, are you? Charging another measly 20c for labour is pathetic! Now I know why Laos is poor! No self worth!

View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #37 - 14th Mar, 2011 at 3:37am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 13th Mar, 2011 at 9:23am:
Some days they will make little profit, and other days a lot of profit. It's not like a normal job where you have a fixed salary.

Maybe ask for their monthly profit is the best way to go, but even that will vary because their business may perform better during the dry than wet season.

Did you 'ask' already 'nang', because that was really swift.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #38 - 14th Mar, 2011 at 3:40am

PEACE wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 11:22am:
It all depends on your taste bud.  Personally I like mine sweet.  I normally use these to marinate with the sliced meat: honey, crushed lemon grass, lotsa crushed garlics, a little bit of lime juice and of course Fish sauce.  What did U use for marinate?

llX wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 1:28am:
I try to make sin hang couple of time before, but it doesn't tast that good. I have beef jerky net to dry it outside. I love all Lao food.
Smiley

You forgot the make or break ingrediant: "khao kua!".

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member

DIN FAR
Reply #39 - 14th Mar, 2011 at 12:07pm

'khao kua' will be too gritty for me personally.  I prefer my meat to be 'sweet and smooth'  Roll Eyes
Larb Dip wrote on 14th Mar, 2011 at 3:40am:
PEACE wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 11:22am:
It all depends on your taste bud.  Personally I like mine sweet.  I normally use these to marinate with the sliced meat: honey, crushed lemon grass, lotsa crushed garlics, a little bit of lime juice and of course Fish sauce.  What did U use for marinate?

llX wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 1:28am:
I try to make sin hang couple of time before, but it doesn't tast that good. I have beef jerky net to dry it outside. I love all Lao food.
Smiley

You forgot the make or break ingrediant: "khao kua!".

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 5972 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 89294 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 293006 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 140241 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 76452 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 52871 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 78878 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 62064 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 49123 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 44141 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum