Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Our Trip to Laos (Read 26296 times)

William Kelley
Ex Member

Our Trip to Laos
12th Mar, 2011 at 8:35am

Sabaidee everyone. I thought before I go to sleep I would tell you how very excited I am to be going to Laos in May (9-27). As you know, if you have read my earlier posts, you know that I am married to a beautiful woman, who also happens to be Lao.

Keomany and I went before a judge in our county and were married in a legal, but ceremonially lacking event, on Janurary 31, 2011. We have been working hard and saving all our money for 2 reasons. One to go to Laos, and two to give her mother the sin sod.

Yet there is another reason, Keomany and I are going to to Laos to share our kiin dong (Lao Wedding Ceremony). I speak very little Lao, but a few members of her family, and friends in Laos speak English and one will always be with me to translate (I hope!).

I am so very excited and everyday that brings us closer to our departure date, finds Keo becoming almost ecstatic. It is still 2 months away and already she is having problems sleeping.

I know Chris, Chuck and a few others, like myself, are not native to Laos and so maybe do not understand the whole ceremony. I have been prying my wife for many answers about the event. She tries to explain, but somethings are lost in translation.  So... I have been doing much research for myself. I have found a few sites that try to explain the whole ceremony, but maybe with the assistance Administrator and other fellow forum members we can fill in all the blanks.

I read that, "It’s considered to be one of the most honorable duties for Lao girls, and most joyful for her parents to see their daughter honoring and respecting them by choosing Lao traditional wedding as a median in transition of starting a family."

I want to start our new life off on the right path. It means the world to me to make my wife happy for the rest of our lives. I believe that this is the first step to both of those goals.

Your input is encouraged and most welcome. Sokdee.

trip-to-laos.jpg
Keomany & William

http://nyenoona.wordpress.com/2008/12/15/lao-traditional-wedding/
http://www.pbs.org/pov/betrayal/wedding_ceremony.php

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Re: Our Trip to Laos
Reply #1 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 8:41am

All this time my parents referred to the dowry as: "khaa dong". Does "sin sod" literally mean the same thing?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #2 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 9:38am

Yes, "kha dong" and "sin sod" means the same thing.

And William, you and your wife look amazing. I'm happy for everyone who are married to a Lao woman, and those in the process of getting married to a Lao woman. We are a good kind and you won't be disappointed.

To be on the right path, all you have to do is just "follow the yellow brick road" together and the both of you will have a fulfilling and happy life. Enjoy your upcoming trip to Laos.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 10:26am

Yellow brick road. 55555 That was good! You are indeed a very big Judy Garland fan.

I told Keomany. I was married 2 times before, but unlike those times before, this time I have a wife. She is so very good to me. My mom (koy mae) told me, "Keomany is a keeper." and "You two stick to each other like glue." My mom really, really likes her. I know if my father had the chance to meet her, he too would felt the same.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #4 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 10:30am

"My mom (koy mae) told me".

(Mae Koy).

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #5 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 4:19pm

William you have a beautiful wife, congratulation, best wish and happiness. Wedding is very important. Sometime they do both Lao ceremony and another one at the church.
Cool

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #6 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 10:03pm

I admire Judy Garland, because she is the meaning of love and friendship.

She had the privilege of walking down the Yellow Brick Road in The Wizard of Oz. And during her journey on that Yellow Brick Road, she taught us the valuable lessons in life.

Your "heart", "brain" and "courage" are the values that makes a strong and everlasting relationship with your family and friends. And I'm sure that your journey down the road in life with your beautiful Lao wife, will reflect on the teachings of Judy Garland.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #7 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 10:32pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 10:03pm:

She had the privilege of walking down the Yellow Brick Road in The Wizard of Oz. And during her journey on that Yellow Brick Road, she taught us the valuable lessons in life.

Your "heart", "brain" and "courage" are the values that makes a strong and everlasting relationship with your family and friends. And I'm sure that your journey down the road in life with your beautiful Lao wife, will reflect on the teachings of Judy Garland.

Judy Garland needs to go! I waill start a poll to make it official. The monotony is getting at me. (Where's that"hot" music you said wascoming?). I'ts time I took a sabbatical. Back to "asiasfinest.com" and joining the rest of the other Lao extremists. That's where my blunt opinions belong!

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 11:13pm

Admin wrote: William, you and your wife look amazing. I'm happy for everyone who are married to a Lao woman, and those in the process of getting married to a Lao woman. We are a good kind and you won't be disappointed.

@ Admin.: Thank you very much. I am truly know that and am finding out that more every day. Her family and children are very accepting and friendly to me also. They made me feel like family before I was actually married to Keo.

Anouvong wrote: William you have a beautiful wife, congratulation, best wish and happiness. Wedding is very important. Sometime they do both Lao ceremony and another one at the church.

@ Anouvong: Thank you. Sometimes I see her and think that maybe I am dreaming. How did I get so lucky to find a woman so good that loves me so much. Only thing I can say, is if this is a dream, then I pray that I never wake up.

IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 12th Mar, 2011 at 11:15pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 12th Mar, 2011 at 10:03pm:

I watched the Wizard of Oz many times, and never thought of it that way, but now that I think of it, you are right. Many lessons can be learned from old movies such as this one.

IP Logged

Chris Cotton
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 13th Mar, 2011 at 1:41am

Nice pic and good idea for a thread WK.

I'll share anything that happens on my trip to Laos in April.

Cheers
Chris

IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 14th Mar, 2011 at 6:11am

Sounds like a great idea, as I will do the same. Thank you Chris!

IP Logged

chuck
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #12 - 14th Mar, 2011 at 6:37pm

http://nyenoona.wordpress.com/2008/12/15/lao-traditional-wedding/

WOW!! I wonder how much it cost for such a wedding banquet at Paksan hotel.

It's going to mean a lot to my girlfriend and in laws knowing I would have such a banquet for them if I can afford it.

Any idea fellas? Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #13 - 14th Mar, 2011 at 7:14pm

The bride doesn't look happy. Lao girls from Paksan are considered "geng" (tough) in the eyes of many Vientianians.

If you can't afford it, you can host a home wedding. It's perfectly normal in Laos. Serve buffet style meals for guests and provide alcohol and drinks on their tables.

IP Logged

chuck
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #14 - 14th Mar, 2011 at 7:31pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 14th Mar, 2011 at 7:14pm:
The bride doesn't look happy. Lao girls from Paksan are considered "geng" (tough) in the eyes of many Vientianians.

If you can't afford it, you can host a home wedding. It's perfectly normal in Laos. Serve buffet style meals for guests and provide alcohol and drinks on their tables.

My girlfriend was telling me to host a a home wedding like that. Well, yea but Im sure if I can afford a banquet like that its going to look nicer. I really wonder how much is the cost for a home wedding?
Admin, do you have any idea about how much is the wedding dress and suit? Is it necessary to have the gold decoration for the bride on the hair? Looks like its going to cost a lot for the gold decoration.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 14335 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 93546 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 296706 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143117 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 79015 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 55000 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 80842 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 63770 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50473 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45347 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum