Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Old school Lao tattoos! (Read 23385 times)

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Old school Lao tattoos!
15th Mar, 2011 at 3:51am

Are these "shorts" still considered "hot" in the fashion sense? Do all the "pubao's" still get these done? What about the "pusao's", what do they think about these tattoed trousers? I read in the article (where I borrowed the photo from) that if you were unwilling to get one emblazoned all over your lower half, then you would remain a "pubao" forever. No one wanted to marry a coward. Is this true? And if so, where can I get mine done?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Old school Lao tattoos!
Reply #1 - 15th Mar, 2011 at 7:22am

I haven't seen anyone with large tattoos of that nature, all over their upper legs.

I don't know what others in the Lao community think about it, but I can only speak for myself, and that is I don't like tattoos. Guys with excessive tattoos are not appealing to me, but I can live with a small one on a certain part of their body.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #2 - 15th Mar, 2011 at 7:51am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 15th Mar, 2011 at 7:22am:
I haven't seen anyone with large tattoos of that nature, all over their upper legs.

I don't know what others in the Lao community think about it, but I can only speak for myself, and that is I don't like tattoos. Guys with excessive tattoos are not appealing to me, but I can live with a small one on a certain part of their body.

It did say in the mentioned article that this custom has since been abolished by the more recent generation (Why?).

Me, personally, I think it's "HOT!". I'm going to do more research on this and see if they still do these in Laos. Maybe I can get one too! (kidding). In Auckland (where I stay) there are alot of Samoans who have these types of similar markings. On the same area too. Running up and down the Rugby paddock with these guys gives you a bit of an eerie feeling.

I can't believe you never seen a tattoo of this variety in Laos. (Maybe you need to spend some more time with the older generation).

Here's a more contemporary photo from Pakse:

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #3 - 15th Mar, 2011 at 7:57am

And the samoan styles:

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #4 - 15th Mar, 2011 at 7:58am

Here's another.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #5 - 15th Mar, 2011 at 7:58am

We must be related!

images_001.jpg (7 KB | )
images_001.jpg

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #6 - 15th Mar, 2011 at 8:18am

If you think it's "HOT", then don't kid yourself and get it done.

I don't know why the recent generation does not have that style of tattoo, you'll have to ask the Lao guys. Maybe they understand that it is frowned upon by the community, or they won't attract girls.

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #7 - 15th Mar, 2011 at 9:04am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 15th Mar, 2011 at 8:18am:
If you think it's "HOT", then don't kid yourself and get it done.

I don't know why the recent generation does not have that style of tattoo, you'll have to ask the Lao guys. Maybe they understand that it is frowned upon by the community, or they won't attract girls.

Easy tiger. "Jai yen yen nang".

What do you mean, "they won't attract girls"?.
Read this (again): "if you were unwilling to get one emblazoned all over your lower half, then you would remain a "pubao" forever. No one wanted to marry a coward." (This is not a dircet qoute, by the way, but I'm more or less quoting myself). As you can read, the motive for all this body art was to "attract girls". Had you not made the sacrifice, then your fate would forever be sealed as a bachelor (and meat-beater). Grin

Can you please elaborate on the this statement that you just made: "Maybe they understand that it is frowned upon by the community".
Alot of my uncles have tattoos (differing from the topic currently in discussion, of course) scattered miscellaneously over their bodies. Since they were militia, they probably needed the protection offered by the "spells" that came with such art. Not everybody was mesmerised to the point of stupidity, courtesy of this hocus-pocus mythology. An uncle even confided, after succumbing to the "magic" of liquor, that, "in no way in hell, was I just gonna just stand there and let them get a free shot off. I'm not that stupid!".
Anyway. I really am curious in regards to stereotypes (in Laos)  in relation to tattoos. Over here everybody has at least one!

Goodnight. I'm going to bed. Smiley
Please take your time with this one. I would really like to read - in detail - your response to this matter.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #8 - 15th Mar, 2011 at 6:54pm

Welcome to the 21st century. Everything changes over time, the fashion change, people even change. And most respectable Lao girls these days probably don't like extreme tattoos, I certainly do not.

In this day and age, it is frowned upon by the Lao community. In the past, some soldiers got their tattoos done, but mind you, I also have some relatives who served in the military and none of them have tattoos.

In fact, I can't think of anyone from my mother's and father's side that have tattoos, not even a small tattoo, and I have many immediate and extended family.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #9 - 15th Mar, 2011 at 10:42pm

Old school tattoo is usually for protection and supernatural believe. It has a lot of meaning and done by Buddhist Monk or shaman. For young generation, 21st century its just for look, and symbolic.  
Cool Roll Eyes

View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #10 - 16th Mar, 2011 at 3:14am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 15th Mar, 2011 at 6:54pm:
Welcome to the 21st century. Everything changes over time, the fashion change, people even change. And most respectable Lao girls these days probably don't like extreme tattoos, I certainly do not.

In this day and age, it is frowned upon by the Lao community. In the past, some soldiers got their tattoos done, but mind you, I also have some relatives who served in the military and none of them have tattoos.

In fact, I can't think of anyone from my mother's and father's side that have tattoos, not even a small tattoo, and I have many immediate and extended family.

These tattoos should be brought back by popular demand! I have already expressed that they look "HOT!", and still stand firm on this opinion. What a shame. Now I can't get one, otherwise I can't get a wife. It's one or the other. I think I'll choose the latter. Tongue

Did your relatives fight in the revolution? Are you and your kin pro "Pathet Lao"?

Do they have any tattoo parlours in Vientiane?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #11 - 16th Mar, 2011 at 3:23am

llX wrote on 15th Mar, 2011 at 10:42pm:
Old school tattoo is usually for protection and supernatural believe. It has a lot of meaning and done by Buddhist Monk or shaman. For young generation, 21st century its just for look, and symbolic.  
Cool Roll Eyes

My uncles did say that theirs was done nearby, in a village temple. Their tattoos consisit of figures brandishing all sorts of weapons from machetes to knives. "Monsters" with heads in the form of wild pigs, to a snake wrapped around a buddha, are just some of the gruesome looking characters adorned on their torsos. Magic chants imbedded in some other "foreign" language was also common. None could  actually read what the "spells" meant.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #12 - 16th Mar, 2011 at 4:16am

Yes, they have tattoo parlours in the national capital.

IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 16th Mar, 2011 at 4:37am

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 15th Mar, 2011 at 6:54pm:

I don't simply because I would later change my mind. 55555  Only a couple of people in my family have tattoos. My 2 brothers, and I think a couple of my nieces and a nephew does also. Each his own. Keo doesn't either. I am glad for that.

IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 16th Mar, 2011 at 4:40am

It all looks quite painful to me!

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 14303 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 93534 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 296696 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 143108 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 79007 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 54993 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 80836 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 63765 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50469 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45344 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum