Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
thum mak huang - papaya salad (Read 24461 times)

William Kelley
Ex Member

thum mak huang - papaya salad
19th Mar, 2011 at 5:02am

This dish kills me, yet I keep eating it. 55555
Enjoy the video and try not to drool to much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQbBp94OgfY&feature=related

IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Awards: 1
Outstanding Contribution Award
Re: thum mak huang - papaya salad
Reply #1 - 19th Mar, 2011 at 5:59am

'Mak huang' is hard to come by in NZ. We substitute ours with carrots and cucumbers.

What does everyone else use to make this dish in other countries?

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #2 - 19th Mar, 2011 at 7:48am

It looks delicious. She is using quite a big mortar (bowl).

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #3 - 19th Mar, 2011 at 3:50pm

Are you in Laos William? Tam mak houng look so good. Make me miss Laos.
Cool

View Profile  
IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #4 - 19th Mar, 2011 at 3:52pm

Larb Dip wrote on 19th Mar, 2011 at 5:59am:
'Mak huang' is hard to come by in NZ. We substitute ours with carrots and cucumbers.

What does everyone else use to make this dish in other countries?

We have many Asian market in US and plenty of papaya. Some people here also used carrot but I don't like it.
Huh Cool
« Last Edit: 19th Mar, 2011 at 9:39pm by llX »  
View Profile  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 19th Mar, 2011 at 9:36pm

llX wrote on 19th Mar, 2011 at 3:50pm:
Cool

Not yet, we are going over for 2 weeks in May (I wish it were a month). I plan on stopping by quite a few of these road-side vendors.

I like how they gave the person recording this a taste first. If fire flies out of their mouth and steam out of their ears, like mine does when Keo makes it, then it is just right.

We will be getting married over there during that time. I will be sure to post videos on YouTube and link them here. We are both very excited, and more so every day!!!

IP Logged

llX
God Member

Reply #6 - 19th Mar, 2011 at 9:42pm

Quote:
Cool

Not yet, we are going over for 2 weeks in May (I wish it were a month). I plan on stopping by quite a few of these road-side vendors.

I like how they gave the person recording this a taste first. If fire flies out of their mouth and steam out of their ears, like mine does when Keo makes it, then it is just right.

We will be getting married over there during that time. I will be sure to post videos on YouTube and link them here. We are both very excited, and more so every day!!!

Have a great trip and please share the experience and picture, vdo. Food from road-side vendors is one of my favorite. Good price, fresh and many selection.
Cool Smiley

View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #7 - 19th Mar, 2011 at 10:04pm

Quote:
Cool

The flies lingering around the 'food' might turn some people off. You might want to go indoors to dine. We wouldn't want to deter any prospect 'investers' away from our beloved Laos.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 19th Mar, 2011 at 10:40pm

Larb Dip wrote on 19th Mar, 2011 at 10:04pm:
Quote:
Cool

COMMENT BY LARB DIP
: The flies lingering around the 'food' might turn some people off. You might want to go indoors to dine. We wouldn't want to deter any prospect 'investers' away from our beloved Laos.

Larb Dip, please do NOT insert you comments into my quote. This may have been an accident on your part, and if so I forgive you, but in some other forums I belong to it has gotten some people banned. I thank you in advance for your understanding in this matter.

IP Logged

LaoguySoCal
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #9 - 19th Mar, 2011 at 10:40pm

Quote:
This dish kills me, yet I keep eating it. 55555
Enjoy the video and try not to drool to much!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQbBp94OgfY&feature=related

That is freaking too little man. How much was that? $2.00 lol

View Profile  
IP Logged

Larb Dip
God Member

Lao Pride, and No. 1 Lao
Pride Admin' fan from
NZ!

Hadxaifong, Vientiane
Reply #10 - 19th Mar, 2011 at 10:42pm

Quote:
Larb Dip wrote on 19th Mar, 2011 at 10:04pm:
Quote:
Cool

COMMENT BY LARB DIP
: The flies lingering around the 'food' might turn some people off. You might want to go indoors to dine. We wouldn't want to deter any prospect 'investers' away from our beloved Laos.

Larb Dip, please do NOT insert you comments into my quote. This may have been an accident on your part, and if so I forgive you, but in some other forums I belong to it has gotten some people banned. I thank you in advance for your understanding in this matter.

Sorry mate. It was an honest mistake. I don't know how it happened.

ຂອບໃຈຫຼາຍໆເດີ
View Profile  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 19th Mar, 2011 at 10:55pm

It's okay. Forums function and look different on different computers. I probably jumped the gun a bit, again.

IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 22nd Mar, 2011 at 4:26am

I talked my wife into making me some thum mak huang tonight after work. It should be ready very soon. Mmm. I'm ready for the FIRE!!!

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #13 - 22nd Mar, 2011 at 5:22am

It's a unique dish that makes your mouth water, just by thinking about it. How much chili does your wife put in it?

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

William Kelley
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 22nd Mar, 2011 at 5:44am

She likes to put in 5 or 6 Thai chilies, but I asked her to only put in 4 for me. I can not eat it that hot yet.

We had papaya salad, with fish, sticky rice, and a banana  for desert. Also water, for me the water was a MUST.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in April, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 1 13786 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:22pm
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 5 93277 Last Post 26th Apr, 2024 at 6:03pm
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 37 296420 Last Post 20th Apr, 2024 at 5:11pm
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 142957 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 78871 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 54865 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 80719 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 63665 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 50398 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 45277 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum