Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
Speeding Thai kills 17-year old Lao girl in BBK (Read 45418 times)

William Kelley
Ex Member

Speeding Thai kills 17-year old Lao girl in BBK
30th Mar, 2011 at 5:00am

lao-girl-killed-in-bangkok.jpg

Urai Inthilat, 35, points to the shattered windscreen of the Porsche which killed her teenage daughter.

Roads accidents are unfortunate when they happen, but rarely do they warrant the ear of the prime minister.

Yet an incident in Thailand involving the death of Kambai Inthilat, a 17-year-old girl from Laos who was visiting her aunt, might do just that.

Ordinary Thais were horrified by her fate. She was cut in half by a speeding Porsche while attempting to cross the road after having lunch at a noodle stall in Pathum Thani. Onlookers made the grisly discovery, the lower half of her body was found on the roadside, while the upper half was found 10 kilometres away. She had crashed through the windscreen and her torso was embedded in the front seat.

The Porsche was abandoned and her death elicited some unfortunate comments from the authorities, who implied that as the girl was from Laos, where they drive on the other side of the road, perhaps she just looked the wrong way, no need to arrest anyone really.

Thais were outraged. The accident dominated social networks and chat rooms, with the general interpretation being that a Porsche must be owned by someone rich and powerful, who the police would rather not upset.

Such are the growing divisions in Thai society these days, as demarcated by the intractable warring between the largely rural Red Shirts and the chattering classes who support the Yellow Shirts.These are divisions that were recently noted by Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva, who will take his country into elections in June or July. He is apparently far from confident of victory, even saying recently that there were no guarantees he would be in office this time next year.

"Maybe you'll be wondering if I'll be here next year. I'm wondering too," Abhisit told members of the Foreign Correspondents Club, adding he hoped elections offered voters a choice between his leadership and a 'cycle of conflict and violence.'

It turns out the Porsche Cayman was driven by Peerapol Thaksinthaweesap, a 19-year-old university student who had borrowed the car from his father, Suppachai Thaksinthaweesap.

Suppachai told police 'the driver' would only surrender to police after he attends the Cheng Meng religious festival, where he would pay homage to his ancestors.

Looking thoroughly inappropriate in a black hood and sunglasses, Peerapol eventually admitted to police he was speeding, and he was charged with careless driving and leaving the scene of an accident.

He was released into his family's custody and a police officer said the owner of the Porsche was trying to make an arrangement with the family in regards to compensation.

If the family succeeds quickly, then they might ensure that the family of Kambai Inthilat don't press charges and ensure Peerapol enjoys a much easier legal ride, the type of ride that ordinary Thais would and should never get for killing someone.

Cry

My prayers go out to the young lady's family.

IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Awards: 5
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

Judy Garland's Ruby Slippers
The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Re: Speeding Thai kills 17-year old Lao girl in BBK
Reply #1 - 30th Mar, 2011 at 7:46am

It goes to show that with money, you can get away with anything in Thailand.

Kill someone on the roads in Laos and it's automatic jail time, regardless if you have money.

View Profile WWW JudyGarlandAsDorothy MissJudyGarland saolili  
IP Logged

Laosport
Newbie to Lao Pride
Meaning of the stars

Lao Luv Lao Last Longer

Boston
Reply #2 - 30th Mar, 2011 at 1:19pm

Heartless lil thai S.O.B. I hope her restless spirit haunt him until he turn mental retarded and jump of the building and hit by a car than die. My heart and pray go out to her family.

Phoum Jai Pen LAO!
View Profile  
IP Logged

PEACE
God Member
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

DIN FAR
Reply #3 - 30th Mar, 2011 at 3:56pm

My prayer goes to the family.  No worries, the young woman is in Heaven.

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos
Judy Garland Gold Star AwardJudy Garland Silver Star AwardTop Poster AwardOutstanding Contribution AwardLaotian Award

The most beautiful pair of shoes worn by the most beautiful actress in movie history.
Reply #4 - 31st Mar, 2011 at 6:02am

She died in an unpleasant way, so her spirit will be angry.

Her body will most likely be cremated quickly by her family, due to the nature of her death.

IP Logged

Tee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #5 - 31st Mar, 2011 at 11:06am

It's so sad to see This type of accident happened again and again.. I'm personally blame The driver's parent to allow inexperience young kid to drive such powerful car... My condolence to the young girl and her family for their loss.....  Bangkok is a danger place specially try to cross the road.....it's far different from Vientiane....

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #6 - 31st Mar, 2011 at 6:15pm

Parent and son are both to blame.

It's disturbing to know that the moron is free to attend a "religious festival" when a young girl's life has been taken away by his stupidity. Again, money talks, and wealth means power.

The Lao mother gave birth at quite a young age if she is 35, and daughter is 17.

IP Logged

BorLeumBanGerd
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

I Love Laos!

Reply #7 - 31st Mar, 2011 at 11:59pm

Admin Saovaluck wrote on 30th Mar, 2011 at 7:46am:
It goes to show that with money, you can get away with anything in Thailand.

Kill someone on the roads in Laos and it's automatic jail time, regardless if you have money.

THAT'S NOT TRUE AND YOU KNOW IT ADMIN! SAME $HIT IN LAOS.. THE ACCUSED DRIVER COMPENSATES THE FAMILY OF THE DEAD VICTIM.. I WAS IN LAOS IN 2007' LESS THAN A WEEK AFTER I RETURNED TO USA, A FRIEND OF MY NEPHEW WAS KILLED WHILE ON A SCOOTER. THE DRIVER OF THE CAR PAID HIS FAMILY A COUPLE THOUSAND DOLLARS AND THAT WAS IT!

NO AUTOMATIC JAIL TIME IN LAOS! MONEY TALKS IN THIRD WORLD COUNTRIES...

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #8 - 1st Apr, 2011 at 12:24am

CAPITALS means you're shouting. I'm sure you can get your message across with lowercase letters. Smiley

Actually in Laos, if you kill someone as a result of your speeding, you must go to jail. You can reduce your jail term if you pay some compensation to the family and police.

If you just injured someone, this can be sorted out on the streets with the police and you can get away with it, but when death is involved there must be some jail time.

I don't know about your nephew's friends situation. Maybe the driver of the car wasn't entirely at fault, or the law has changed since 4 years ago.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #9 - 1st Apr, 2011 at 1:00am

Very sad. It's true money talk. In Asia if you kill somebody in auto accident most of the time you just compensated the victim. But this driver was at fault driving too fast. If your parent is rich and powerful you pretty much can get away with it with a good lawyer in any country.
Cry

View Profile  
IP Logged

Want Laos To Be Independence
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

FREEDOM FIGHTER

Reply #10 - 1st Apr, 2011 at 1:59am

I REALLY WANT TO SEE HOW THE SORRY-ASS LAOS GOVT GOING TO HANDLE THIS CASE..... BELIEVE IT OR NOT, THAT BOY IS GOING TO WALK FREE....
IF YOU RICH YOU WILL BE A KING IN THAILAND AND LAOS NO BS
IF YOU POOR YOU WILL BE A TRASH OR SLAVE TO THE RICH
THAT THE WAY IT GO

MOST OF THE RICH ARE LIVING ABOVE THE LAW IN LAOS AND THAILAND. I HAD SEEN IT ALL IN LIFE TIMES. I HAD BEEN WITNESS TO MANY MURDER CASES IN THAILAND AND LAOS; THE MURDERS ALWAY GOT AWAY WITH IT ALL THE TIMES.

THEY SAID " HE WENT ABOUT 120 KM/HR = 75 MI/HR" THERE IS NO WAY THIS SPEED CAN'T CUT THE PEOPLE TO HALF....AT LEAST HE MIGHT WENT PASSED 160 MI/HR = 256 KM/HR
THAT CAR CAN RUN TOP SPEED 200 MI/HR = 320 KM/HR

I REALLY FEEL SORRY FOR MY POOR PEOPLE HAVE TO DEAL WITH RICH+CORRUPT PEOPLE LIVING IN THAILAND AND LAOS.

Power to the people
View Profile  
IP Logged

Tee
Meaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the starsMeaning of the stars

My Home,My love and my
only place to be R.I.P

Sydney, Australia
Reply #11 - 1st Apr, 2011 at 2:11am

Life is never going to be fair....we all know that! how ever, the only way is to educate your self and lift up your level of negotiant the way to at least the rich and powerful level. Like the old say" Knowledge is power and power is Wealth"

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #12 - 1st Apr, 2011 at 2:18am

Welcome back "Want Laos To Be Independence", and please keep it to lower case on future postings.

Yes, the windscreen had a major damage and a part of her body went inside the car, so it's a very horrific accident. He even left the scene after the accident so obviously he couldn't care less.

IP Logged

llX
God Member

"Absolute power corrupt."

Awards: 2
Top Poster AwardLaotian Award
Reply #13 - 1st Apr, 2011 at 2:44am

In American sometime if you're rich and powerful you can get away too. But in this case there's no way. He'll be jail for a long time. He's going so fast that's why the victims was cut in half. Victims mother should has sue the driver for $1 million. Not 350,000 baht.
  Undecided

View Profile  
IP Logged

Admin Saovaluck
Miss Administrator

Lao Pride and No. 1 fan
of Judy Garland from
Laos!

Vientiane, Laos

Reply #14 - 1st Apr, 2011 at 3:21am

350,000 baht is around $12,000 US. It's a lot of money in Laos, but I don't think it's enough to compensate the loss of your children. He probably doesn't have $1 million though.

Road deaths in Thailand is nothing new, it happens every day in that country. This accident just happens to involve a Lao person so it made the news headlines and for some interesting reading.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
The newest 10 Board Topics
No. Board Name Topic Started By Replies Views Last Post on Topic
1. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland as Dorothy's reproduction gingham pinafore dress Admin Saovaluck 36 281258 Last Post 31st Mar, 2024 at 1:47am
By: Admin Saovaluck
2. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2024 Admin Saovaluck 4 85055 Last Post 1st Feb, 2024 at 3:05am
3. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in July, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 6 137076 Last Post 24th Sep, 2023 at 7:16am
4. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in August, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 73593 Last Post 11th Sep, 2023 at 12:35pm
5. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in September, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 1 50462 Last Post 9th Jul, 2023 at 7:51am
6. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in May, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 4 76745 Last Post 30th May, 2023 at 4:36pm
7. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in March, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 60124 Last Post 8th May, 2023 at 4:39pm
8. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in February, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 5 47513 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:39pm
9. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in January, 2023 Admin Saovaluck 7 42802 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:19pm
10. Judy Garland Board Judy Garland's ruby slippers project in December, 2022 Admin Saovaluck 4 35327 Last Post 28th Apr, 2023 at 4:03pm

Back to: Lao Pride | Lao Pride Forum